Crash while zoning

To answer your question:
I have Shards of Dalaya installed on a separate SATA hard drive in it's own partition. My defrag software is "Diskkeeper 10 Professional Premier".
So, it looks like we are using completely different stuff.

Yeah seems so :( That diskeeper program has completely defragged my disk now. It's degragged everything but also moved all the empty space to the end of the disk. Took about 24 hours or something. I'll see if it makes any difference in the game today, but I doubt it :(

Just wondering about a few things. For those of you have this problem, what software do you use for defragging? Also, is the hard drive that contains your game partitioned into multiple drives, or is it one drive?

1) Diskkeeper

2) I was originally running SoD from my 400 gig 7200 RPM storage drive. I then switched it over to my 150 gig 10,000 RPM Raptor. No difference it seems.

I finally found my titanium discs so I'm going to try patching SoD over a fresh install, and see if that helps (doubt it). I've been migrating the same SoD folder around for well over a year.

There was an old trick for helping curb this issue that my friend back in CoH told me about. Under the EQ directory, there is a file called "datarate.txt". Thoese of you that have this problem frequently might want to try setting this value from the default of 8.0 to 5.0. I used to crash alot, but with this value set it's amazing how much less I crash.

I don't have a datarate.txt file but remember it from the old days. Hm. I wonder if I create it if it will have any effect? It was just a text file with "#.#" in it, right?

Also I tried playing on a normal EqEmu server today. Absolutely no lag like I experience on SoD. I crashed the first time I tried to zone, however! It looks like this issue is following me no matter where I go :( so frustrating.

Hmm... you probably aren't using the EQ Titanium install then. I am using a fresh install of EQ Titanium, and patching to SoD, and I see it right there in the SoD directory. However if you're getting the same issue on EQEmu servers, which don't appear to use datarate.txt, it might be something else...

I have titanium and I tried changing the datarate, didn't help unfortunately :( I tried it at 5.0 and at 15.0 and various other settings. It defaults to 8.0

I had a mini breakthrough last night but I need to play some more to find out exactly what happened. But I did about 4 or 5 VD maps and we had to zone a dozen times or more, and I was 2 boxing, and I barely crashed at all. I changed various things before I joined the VD raid so one or more of them must have helped. I'll try more tonight and let you know.

Done a bit of experimentation. I have it working much better now. I still get the occasional crash, but mostly I am zoning better now. I think I probably crash about 10-20% of the time now, even when duoing, rather than on nearly every zone!

I'm not sure which of these exactly helped, maybe it was all, but this is what I've done differently.

1) I used to use Bit Torrent to download stuff, and I noticed that even when you turn it off, there is still lots of data coming in. In the past I've tried playing with it on and off and still had crashes either way, so I assumed BitTorrent didn't really affect anything. Recently I decided to have it turned off completely, and leave it off for a while before I'm going to play, so that all communication has stopped.

2) I turn off all software firewalls. I had Windows firewall at first then switched to ZoneAlarm. But now, when I play SoD, I turn it off completely. I can turn it on again when I finish playing.

3) I used Diskeeper which in automatic mode, degragged my disk extremely thoroughly over the course of about 4 days. After it was looking nearly perfect, I've turned it off. Now I play with that switched off.

So basically when I play now, there is absolutely nothing running in the background on my PC. Just the clock and speaker icon visible on my taskbar. I now zone in <10 seconds most of the time, sometimes it takes a bit longer, and sometimes I crash. But it's mostly a lot better now. I'm also getting less 1017's when logging in too.

Back
Top Bottom