Custom SoD Icon for In-Game EQ Button

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
For DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD, skip to the GREEN TEXT below.
The "EQ button" that came with 2.5 is a handy feature, but I thought it felt blasphemous constantly looking at that crusty old icon when playing SoD. To rectify this, I cooked up a custom icon and inserted it into the two relevant UI files. Here's the result:

Old%20vs%20New%20EQ%20Button_zpssdrnpzhs.jpg

(The above image is a .jpg blown up to 200%; the icon looks smoother in game.)

Note that this includes both unlit and lit variants so that the button still "lights up" when the mouse passes over it. I designed it using the same font/aesthetic seen in my custom SoD login artwork as well as my custom modern char select so that anyone using these mods together can enjoy a more consistent visual experience in SoD.

If you need another excuse to get rid of the old icon, here's a quirk that you'll never be able to unsee. :p The EQ icon was designed at 42 x 42, but the in-game button only renders a 40 x 40 area. This cuts off the golden frame along the bottom and right-hand sides of the EQ icon. (Look again at that picture!) I accounted for this in making the custom SoD icon so that the new icon has a complete frame unlike the original.

If you'd like to banish the EQ button's icon in favor of this more server-appropriate one, read on.

==========
DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD

DISCLAIMER:
This modifies two minor UI files — menuicons01.tga and window_pieces05.tga — and should only be used to replace the default UI files. It'll still show up when using most custom UIs, but if it doesn't work with the UI you use, post a request and I can adapt it easily.
  1. Locate the following files within [SoD Directory] > uifiles > default and rename them as follows:
    • menuicons01.tga > Old menuicons01.tga
    • window_pieces05.tga > Old window_pieces05.tga
  2. Download the following .zip folder:
  3. Open the .zip folder and move both files to the location from Step #1.
  4. Log in and see if it worked.
Note: If you need to revert for any reason, delete the new files and restore the names of the originals. (Refer to Step #1).​
==========
As always, feedback and/or confirmation that this works would be appreciated. And again, if your custom UI prevents this from working, post here or PM me and I can adapt the SoD button for you fairly easily.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom