Daybreak Client and Monster Models

Phibian

Dalayan Beginner
I recently purchased a new laptop and downloaded a few different EQ clients trying to get it to run properly.

Underfoot from one source lagged whenever more than 3-4 pc models were on the screen.

Daybreak ran perfectly, but without running a patch on it, and repatching all on SOD patcher, it still wound up with a lot of unused/human models. Spiders/pumas/goos about 60% of all monsters I saw were human models.

I finally copied my old client from my old computer and loaded it. I get a lot of client crashes now though. I assume things did not copy over perfectly.

My question is, would it be possible to manually copy the monster files from my old EQ client into the Daybreak client to correct the unused monster model issues? Does anyone know which files I would need to copy over to make this work?

Thanks!

I have used the Daybreak client before but have not come across this issue. I suspect you're seeing lots of male Humans running around due to faulty _chr.txt files, all of which have been customized for our server. (For instance, skunks are loaded in every zone's _chr.txt file to account for SoD's unique Ogre Beastlord skunk pet option, whereas that model is very rarely included in EQ Live's zones.) I have no idea why the Repatch All function wouldn't have fixed this for you, assuming I'm on the right track here. :confused:

If you still have your old install, it might be worth trying this:
  1. Within your old SoD install, use CTRL + F to search for _chr.txt.
  2. Select all those files (CTRL + A) and copy them (CTRL +C).
  3. Within your new SoD install, paste all those files (CTRL + V), overwriting when prompted.
  4. Log in and hope it worked!
It's possible you're dealing with a more complicated issue, but this would definitely be my first suggestion.

Last edited:
Lots of good words...

Yes this is exactly what is happening, and that is exactly what I was looking for to fix it. It did not though. I went ahead and repatched all after copying those files over just as a shot in the dark and it did not help either.

I am also having this problem. I am at best a medium computer skills person but am unsure how to fix this. Is it because the live client has different models and SoD defaults to human in the absence of a recognizable model?

I'm a new player and am also having this same problem. All the NPC guards in Newport are just base human models, as well as most of the creatures just outside the gates. Makes it really hard to determine at a glance what may or may not aggro. If anyone comes up with another solution, please share! Thanks.

I'm not sure how likely this is to fix the issue, but here's something you can try:
  1. Download the following .zip folder:
    • Model Fix Test (Filesize: <2.5 MB)
  2. Within the .zip, find the folder titled THESE FILES GO IN SOD DIRECTORY and move all those items into your SoD directory, overwriting when prompted.
  3. Within your SoD directory, find and enter the Resources subfolder.
  4. Within the .zip, find the folder THESE FILES GO IN RESOURCES SUBFOLDER and move all those items into your Resources subfolder, overwriting when prompted.
  5. Return to the SoD directory, hit CTRL + F, and search for wld.txc.
  6. Delete all .wld.txc files that come up in the search results.
  7. Log into the game and cross your fingers...
Let me know if this has any effect on the monster models. o_O

EDIT: This made things much worse for poor Tizanish below! :confused:

Last edited:
I'm not sure how likely this is to fix the issue, but here's something you can try:
  1. Download the following .zip folder:
  2. Within the .zip, find the folder titled THESE FILES GO IN SOD DIRECTORY and move all those items into your SoD directory, overwriting when prompted.
  3. Within your SoD directory, find and enter the Resources subfolder.
  4. Within the .zip, find the folder THESE FILES GO IN RESOURCES SUBFOLDER and move all those items into your Resources subfolder, overwriting when prompted.
  5. Return to the SoD directory, hit CTRL + F, and search for wld.txc.
  6. Delete all .wld.txc files that come up in the search results.
  7. Log into the game and cross your fingers...
Let me know if this has any effect on the monster models. o_O

It uh... broke all strings and crashed, all chats channels were missing strings each line was another error code, cult server motd and say and all spell casting

It uh... broke all strings and crashed, all chats channels were missing strings each line was another error code, cult server motd and say and all spell casting
Yikes! Okay then, I'll edit the post when I'm back on my PC later. Does a repatch all fix the problems I unleashed?!

Two questions:
  • When you check your directory for zonename_chr.txt files are you seeing duplicates?
  • Are you using Luclin models?

Revision: Mostly resolves - there are still some missing models in some zones. These are the [broken] ones I've seen so far:

The Junkbeast
the Tracker's pet in Centuar Hills
Trash Cans (but tbh, I have no idea if these guys are supposed to have a model, I expect so)

Back
Top Bottom