EQMain.dll Issues

Rheyan

Dalayan Beginner
I downloaded SoD a couple of days ago and had problems with eqmain.dll. When I finished patching, I would get a dialog box with an error about eqmain.dll and every time I closed the box, another would pop up. In the end I had to kill the eqgame.exe process from task manager.

I read some info on the forums and somebody suggested to just delete eqmain.dll and re-patch. So I deleted the file, patched EQ again which downloaded another 85Mb of data, then did Repatch all with SoD which downloaded a bunch more stuff. That worked.... for a while.

Once I quit out of SoD, it crashed with the same eqmain.dll and now again the only solution to play seems to be to delete the file, repatch EQ, download big file, repatch SoD, download more files....

I have a very slow internet connection and this patching is taking a couple of hours - I do not want to have to do this every time I start the game!

I am running on a laptop with Windows 7, 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX680M. Any help greatly appreciated!

What error is it giving you? That's definitely odd. If you can paste the error text, perhaps we can help get to the bottom of it.

Here's the error:

"EverQuest was unable to initialize the file EQMAIN.DLL. You may wish to try rebooting, deleting EQMAIN.DLL and re-starting EverQuest"... and then some stuff about contacting their technical support.

Deleting and repatching DOES work, but its a huge pain!

Wow, very odd. Are you running EQW/EQPlayNice/etc? Something is apparently corrupting that file, but this is definitely unusual.

That in and of itself is strange. It's possible that the injection EQPN uses is screwing something up in the DLL. Sadly, I don't really have a solution other than to try to do without it and see if that solves it, but that of course presumes you can get your mouse to work. :(

No the problem persists with or without the use of EQPlayNice. The mouse problem has already been discussed in another thread. It's an odd problem affecting faster computers - when the frame rate is particularly high the mouse look behaves strangely - too fast on the Y axis and too slow on the X axis. EQPlayNice limits the frame rate and solves the problem.

However it does not seem related to the DLL problem. I have found that if I reboot my computer it will sometimes work again without the error so the file is not being permanently corrupted.

Usually tying it to a single processor is only a solution for graphics issues tied to the multi-cores. Never heard of anything else being solved for it.

@OP: where did you download EQ from originally? Perhaps it is the download you are using? Very strange issue, and one I hadn't heard of before. If you are using a non- solid state drive, I would suggest uninstalling eq, deleting all folders and files, including registry, from your system (ccleaner is great for that). Then defrag the drive, and re-download/install eq again.
Also, don't patch to live EQ, after install, just patch SoD.

I am using a brand new computer which is literally just a couple of weeks old so it does not need defragging. I downloaded a fresh install of the current F2P EQ client and it's installed on a non-SSD drive. I'm not going to re-download it because I have a very slow internet connection and that would take several days and I really don't feel it's necessary as everything is freshly installed.

My instincts are that it is something to do with my system which is Windows 7, 64-bit.

Lol I have a slow connection but it's not quite a modem! I just live in a rural area is all :)

I am having the same problem on my laptop. It appears to be a screen resolution/monitor for me...when my laptop is docked in the station with a larger monitor, SoD works fine. When I have the laptop out of the docking station trying to use the laptop monitor, it gives the EQMAIN.DLL error.
There must of been some windows 7 update that ruined it for us. It used to work fine, then one day all of the sudden I began getting the EQMAIN.DLL error unless I was docked.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom