Everquest progression servers (My Experience)

Mastabrad

Dalayan Adventurer
This is just a post about my experience on the Everquest Live progression servers.

So I played a shaman on Lockjaw, grinded hard, leveled up. Raided everything, got super sick gear. In the first 2 months of playing. Being it was very very classic. There were no AOE buffs so you had to individually buff all dps classes and the raid size was sometimes 60-80 players. 30-40 being melee. Which each took 4-5 of my buffs, including a wizard who kept arguing that STR buff helped him survive v.v ... Being it was super classic there was still POP crafting. I got my alchemy to 355 when classic is susposed to be at 200ish . I was the only one who could make certain potions for a while because not many others figured out that a lot of the later potions could be made. A lot of POP stuff was not working and some was.. Frog illusions, 40% haste pots. ect. So for the first 2 months, it was really amazing. We cleared everything so quick then it turned into a poopsocking fest. One of the biggest events was 3 guilds waiting for
He was the centerpiece to most the air quest turn ins of course. So there was 170 people, half of them boxes. 3 different guilds. We all knew Noble was about to pop. It was just madness. Then vent lit up POPPED. Then Noble died in 3 seconds. a raid boss that takes 16-30 people to kill in 2-4 minutes.

Among other things, yes mages boxes were everywhere, while leveling up, people would sit them in every nook and cranny of dungeons just to camp names. That transitioned to raiding, and modest man started a guild since they had so many mage boxes.

one_person.jpg

Let me explain the picture. Due to a bug, the raid boss here keeps respawning, instantly. The boss DeathTouches every 3 seconds. So Mages are chain summoning pets that don't take much mana. There is a second bird boss, once killed it triggers the event. But killing this boss just makes him respawn again and again.

Obviously there wasn't enough content for us and the next content unlock was in 6 months. So it went south quick. Server transfers opened up, for people to wanted to go to ragefire for faster unlocks. The lockjaw server was voted for slower progression, daybreak didn't keep there word and ended up launching kunark 3 months earlier on lockjaw.

So phinny came out, people still box, but it isn't too crazy as rage/lockjaw. Slower exp. I didn't play on that, not gonna keep rerolling. Daybreak had an amazing idea bringing back classic EQ. There is still such a huge demand for Everquest. People are paying big money just to play a broken classic server that's nowhere near p99 quality. The old everquest devs are making a game called Pantheon that susposed to have that classic feel.

If I was a die hard fan, I would have started on ragefire, rerolled to lockjaw, then rerolled again to phinny. It's really too bad that it took daybreak 3 tries to get it right. They lost so many players.

Thoughts: I wouldn't go to the progression servers unless you really want to relive the classic EQ and support the EQ franchise, other than that, P1999 would be best for classic.

I did look at Project 2002 but I have some complaints, no maps, no color target. Have to con everything. Problems swapping windows. Your forced to multi box to level up, not many low levels. I would play if there were more lower levels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom