Flawless Crystal Mail

Ovisha

Dalayan Adventurer
Flawless Crystal Mail

Pretty much any dps who wants to make big numbers knows about this, on paper for AE heavy fights it looks pretty crazy for one item. Currently the proc it has is a nuke/debuff Ice as it is right now if this procs on a target, the item can't be procced on the same target until the debuff is gone. This means that regardless of how many frost BPs you have in a raid it can only proc a maximum of 4 times a minute, this is because the debuff lasts 15-18 seconds. The only way to proc more often on a mob is to dispel the debuff.

I obviously have no idea the specific intent, but I would assume that it would work this way to limit the # of procs 1 person could have. I'm not sure if it's right that it prohibits everybody in a raid from proccing.

So with all that.. Reasonable things that could be done in my opinion.

- If at all possible make it so that the debuff only disallows the person who procced it from proccing again. Would leave the BP weaker than it looks on paper while still being good for anybody looking to max damage.
- Change the nuke from the Ice it currently casts to Ice which does ~40% of the current proc but doesn't suffer from stacking issues.
- Do nothing and I'll just yell at anybody who isn't a wizard using it if a wizard wearing one is present.

I'm not gonna say it really needs a change because it's probably never going to make or break a fight as is, and an item being desirable for 16-17 people in a raid is maybe not the best thing. However I'd like to at least not see the item be gimped by having several in a raid or having somebody who isn't a wizard proc it.

I think you're missing the point of the thread ^^. On paper it looks like an OP item but it seems like it was intentionally throttled to not be able to overwrite itself for a reason and nobody ever noticed it. The proc is also a druid spell, which is in fact able to be overwritten by another druid regardless of which druid is more powerful/who cast the spell first.

Would it be possible to make this item no longer Lore and add more slots? Probably an ear slot would be good for more realism.

From what I can tell, frost bp was prioritized pretty high for a T8 piece of loot. If you're telling me there's already an existing mechanic which balances this out I'm going to have to just assume this was designed this way with no reason to change it.

I have no strong opinions on the power of the flawless mail, but I think that ovisha pointing out this limiting mechanic is important. Frost bp isnt the only chest procing item in the game and I wonder if that mechanic is intentional across the board for that type of proc or not and if items were designed around it or not.

By my understanding this would not be limited to 4 times a minute but rather limited from the proc taking effect again until someone elses BP goes off. For instance:

Sabuti's BP proc will not do damage 2x in a row in 18 seconds, but if Sabuti's BP procs, and then Ovisha's BP procs even within seconds of one another, Ovisha's proc debuff would take the place of Sabuti's, thus allowing his next proc to take place of hers, etc. If the mechanic works this way, then the effect of lowered dps from a raid of 18 wearing the bp is pretty much nullified, a few procs here and there might not do damage based on rng.

However, it could also be that each player in the raid may proc damage every 18 seconds (again based on rng) and that the actual negative fire resistance effect is only applied once.

Back
Top Bottom