- Hardcore Character Mode -

I think the BIGGEST problem with newbie quests is that you have to go around randomly hailing as a new player to find them. Usually you'll be killing the mobs they want you to kill anyways just to level up but if you don't know to collect the pieces in advance it's extremely discouraging to find out after you should have been saving all those Dog Dicks that dropped. This is not even touching on how many stupid things you are given at level 1 with only ONE 6-slot bag and lots of quests require 2-4 items to turn in. Are you telling me those dream assholes can't afford to throw one extra sack your way?

this is quite accurate. having no bags as a newbie is really awful and also true about the Dog Dicks part

Some would say that's kinda what RPG's are all about.. building up your character and prioritizing on important stuff (bags) early on. Some would say that, not me of course. I think there should just be unlimited inventory and remove weight limits. Or do what Dragon Age 2 did and just get rid of loot all together. Now that's streamlined!

p.s. Kordon how do you level so fast? That was very fast even with the XP bonus. Nice to see another person who enjoys this game for more than just the l33t raid guild silliness.

ya skill level up def need some tweeking... ive done a necro to 37 and a beastlord to 25 so far and the necro was way way easier just to keep killing stuff no stopping to farm skill levels.. or since this is a money sink, give hardcore character infinite skill points to spend =p

(Not twinking) What I've found refreshing is trying to gather gear while leveling, then turning around and going "Shit, I have to buy spells AGAIN?!?!". I actually had to prioritize my spells last time, just not having the coin.

Is there any way to code in some skill gain per level? Much like the specialization points you gain each level? Or since the exp rate rose 500% why not allow non-tradeskill skills to rise at the same rate? Unless of course there is no way to separate melee/casting skills gain from tradeskill gains.

Well there is a table in the server DB that dictates what a new character starts with at creation. I mean I know the dream NPCs give you your items, but idk. I don't see what's wrong with starting out with an inventory of 6 slot bags or something.

Can't believe people are talking about getting a bunch of free bags in a thread about Hardcore Mode. /wallbutt

Also, back on topic, I had a thought about this earlier and I nearly posted it but then decided not to because it's a bit of a can of worms, and I couldn't be bothered typing up a water tight enough post that people wouldn't pick it apart and criticise me. But whatever, screw it. My thought was just that being a long term 65 is bound to become cheapened by losers/people who PL a character to 65, and then just basically retire it. So we will see some guy who has been 65 for 18 months and presumably say Wooah look at how awesome he is, when really the character is covered in dust and cobwebs and hasn't been logged in since he dinged.

The problem is coming up with a solution. My first thought was that you could make characters age, or gain illnesses, and inactivity will create ailments on the character. Perhaps at first it's just a debuff like a disease or something, perhaps some kind of muscle or bone disease and you have to see a priest and get plenty of exercise to get your body healthy again. And perhaps if the character remains inactive, they start losing experience, permanently, and can de-level.

The problem with this is that people going away on vacations or wanting to focus on other characters or whatever - it basically ties them in to the hardcore character forever, which sucks. We should be playing for fun not to create virtual responsibilities like having a child or something. But there no doubt is a solution that doesn't have this nasty side effect. Perhaps someone can think of it, if not I'll do it some other time.

The fact that characters die permanently isnt enough for you? You want to add to it by taking something pretty rough to begin with and make it worse when you want a break?

Most of the progression in the game is at 65, it should be easy to see who is sitting around collecting dust.

robots;266716The problem is coming up with a solution. My first thought was that you could make characters age said:
you should be able to get internet aids for grouping with unscrupulous individuals

Also the whole point of it is to have fun. It's not a competition by default so why should it be made to conform to stupid competitive rules/one kind of play philosophy?

Wow, this is the most awesome thread I've read in awhile, definitely making a hardcore character.
Wish me luck on lvl 20!

Also, back on topic, I had a thought about this earlier and I nearly posted it but then decided not to because it's a bit of a can of worms, and I couldn't be bothered typing up a water tight enough post that people wouldn't pick it apart and criticise me. But whatever, screw it. My thought was just that being a long term 65 is bound to become cheapened by losers/people who PL a character to 65, and then just basically retire it. So we will see some guy who has been 65 for 18 months and presumably say Wooah look at how awesome he is, when really the character is covered in dust and cobwebs and hasn't been logged in since he dinged.

The problem is coming up with a solution. My first thought was that you could make characters age, or gain illnesses, and inactivity will create ailments on the character. Perhaps at first it's just a debuff like a disease or something, perhaps some kind of muscle or bone disease and you have to see a priest and get plenty of exercise to get your body healthy again. And perhaps if the character remains inactive, they start losing experience, permanently, and can de-level.

The problem with this is that people going away on vacations or wanting to focus on other characters or whatever - it basically ties them in to the hardcore character forever, which sucks. We should be playing for fun not to create virtual responsibilities like having a child or something. But there no doubt is a solution that doesn't have this nasty side effect. Perhaps someone can think of it, if not I'll do it some other time.

When you do something great, set it in a place of honor to look at it and remember the accomplishment, and it ends up covered in dust, it's called a trophy.

Trophies are good, even when they're covered in dust. I don't really see a problem with people who make trophies, are proud of them, and are then scared to touch them because they are worried they'll break.

The fact that characters die permanently isnt enough for you? You want to add to it by taking something pretty rough to begin with and make it worse when you want a break?

The perma death is incidental, it's easy to make 65 without dying in this dumbed down game, as I said before, the real challenge is what you do at 65.

Why would anyone care about this? If you stay level 65 and dont advance after that nobody will fomelo you just like in non hardcore. Only people who are class #1 get fomelo'd/all the babes which is pretty standard.

I already explained why, because the HC mode will be totally worthless once sociopaths (like you) get to 65 to in 2 days and then retire the character.

Also the whole point of it is to have fun. It's not a competition by default so why should it be made to conform to stupid competitive rules/one kind of play philosophy?

So why make a public list?

Last edited:
The personal attacks calling people sociopaths stops immediately, and that includes responding to the ones that have already happened.

The fact that there happens to be a list of *HC* characters does not imply that it will always exist or that nothing else can ever exist like it. If you want a "my HC character is better than yours" list like the oh-so-awful Class Top 5 Threads... then make one. As with many things in Shards of Dalaya, value exists where value is created. Create value where you want there to be value.

I have a HC character on the go. When I see guys crawling up the list I'm rooting for them I don't feel like I am in competition with them.

The personal attacks calling people sociopaths stops immediately, and that includes responding to the ones that have already happened.

The fact that there happens to be a list of *HC* characters does not imply that it will always exist or that nothing else can ever exist like it. If you want a "my HC character is better than yours" list like the oh-so-awful Class Top 5 Threads... then make one. As with many things in Shards of Dalaya, value exists where value is created. Create value where you want there to be value.

There is no 'value' in Shards of Dalaya because of retards like you and Lleoc and Rorne and all the other little bum chums and your little in crowd of losers. The 'value' SHOULD have come from the small community and building on ideas like this, but that can never happen because you are such a bunch of fucking narrow minded inbred prickly pricks. This game cannot and will not ever have any discussion and brainstorming and community interaction because of this. And as I said before, it's in the situation it's in now because of exactly this.

But hey, good for you defending your little closed knit group of sociopaths, it's better they live here than in the real world.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom