- Hardcore Character Mode -

I like the list a lot because I am constantly rooting for HC people to die please do not take this personally, all HC people. I think it's a neat addition and good for them!

...the HC mode will be totally worthless once [people] get to 65 to in 2 days and then retire the character.

Or you could suggest the list be sorted by date they hit 65, by the number of aa's, by some other variation, or give the user the ability to decide what to sort by, rather than suggesting killing them all off for a seemingly arbitrary reason.

So why make a public list?

I thought it would be neat to see which HC characters existed, since there was no way to /who them.

If it's some kind of terrible, community-destroying, oh-so-sociopathic issue, it could be made to drop people who haven't killed anything for exp in a long time or something. I doubt anyone other than you could possibly care, though. It's just a list of people using an obscure feature that'll probably be forgotten in a few months, squirreled away on the third page of an obscure thread on a forum that hardly any of the players actually read.

Making lists is a big part of this game and having an automated list saves us all from making a spreadsheet about it. There'll have to be an HC top 5 somewhere down the road just for seeing some really notable fomelos of lost characters.

I thought it would be neat to see which HC characters existed, since there was no way to /who them.

If it's some kind of terrible, community-destroying, oh-so-sociopathic issue, it could be made to drop people who haven't killed anything for exp in a long time or something. I doubt anyone other than you could possibly care, though. It's just a list of people using an obscure feature that'll probably be forgotten in a few months, squirreled away on the third page of an obscure thread on a forum that hardly any of the players actually read.

I think it's neat too, don't get me wrong, I'm trying to offer ways to improve things not screw it all up. The fact that I'm the only one who cares about stuff like this is not very good. I care because I see ideas like this as the basis of something really epic in the future, it's something that could be built upon, only in SoD land does my enthusiasm get shoved back in my face. Everyones so quick to criticise me but I'm not the one with the lack of imagination and just sees something like this as a flash in the pan gimmick that everyone will have forgotten in a month.

As I said in previous posts, this SoD barely even resembles EQ anymore, but you can use that to your advantage. Your SoD team obviously has something good about it because not only do you have someone who can come up with ideas like this, but you can make it become a reality too. All that while working with ancient convoluted code too. I just think you should run with ideas like that. Look at DayZ, some boring old military shooter that's been out since 2009 (I actually love it but still...) and all of a sudden, someone comes up with a little simple zombiez mod and it totally captures peoples imagination, a month later it has almost a million new players.

I like the list a lot because I am constantly rooting for HC people to die please do not take this personally, all HC people. I think it's a neat addition and good for them!

See even that thought could be turned in to something. Make another new mode, HC assassins? PVP enabled between the two types only. Perhaps with some kind of weakness. But whatever. Thinking about this games potential is so bittersweet, it has so much potential yet the players hate everyone and everything.

Or you could suggest the list be sorted by date they hit 65, by the number of aa's, by some other variation, or give the user the ability to decide what to sort by, rather than suggesting killing them all off for a seemingly arbitrary reason.

I did not suggest killing them all off, or even killing one of them off, I suggested ailments or degeneration. And it was not arbitrary, I gave you the reason for it. Also given that it was about 10am and I still hadn't been to bed yet I even said that someone else should think of a solution, which you did. Just a shame you had to do in your usual bitchy way.

See in grown ups happy land where people are nice to each other, it works like this. I highlight a problem nobody else has thought of yet, give an overly elaborate, wacky, sometimes sleep deprived yet creative solution, but welcome a better solution from someone else. Someone else gives a better solution, and job done! It even sometimes inspires some new discussion about something related. Everyone is happy. Problem solved, thanks to me highlighting it and someone else thinking up the solution. Good ole community working together.

Heres how it works in SoD, land of the grumpy teenager. I highlight a problem nobody else has thought of yet, give an overly elaborate, wacky, sometimes sleep deprived, yet creative solution, but welcome a better solution from someone else. Three people say STFU R TARD!!!!1! pope john tarutao stamps his authoritah in my face, and one person offers the solution but puts me down in the process.

The first way works well. The second way, when someone has a thought about something and contemplates posting about it, thinks of all the pitch fork wavers and thinks fuck it and goes to bed and has forgotten it in the morning.

Last edited:
I highlight a problem nobody else has thought of yet,

This only really holds if the "problem" is actually a problem. I don't think it was, in this case. Some people essentially point out that this is a non-issue, and you interpret this as

STFU R TARD!!!!1!

Not agreeing that what you have chosen to interpret as a problem is a problem is an entirely valid response. You can't fault someone for not contributing to solutions for a problem they don't believe exists. If you can't accept that, I'm afraid you're the one being unreasonable. Overreacting here and making it sound like you have a persecution complex doesn't really strengthen your argument. Looking at what people actually said, other than maybe Lleoc, they weren't out of line at all, other than not agreeing with your premise. But that makes them bitchy pitchfork wavers, apparently.

You have to consider that maybe you're the one in the wrong, here.

There is no 'value' in Shards of Dalaya because of retards like you and Lleoc and Rorne and all the other little bum chums and your little in crowd of losers. The 'value' SHOULD have come from the small community and building on ideas like this, but that can never happen because you are such a bunch of fucking narrow minded inbred prickly pricks. This game cannot and will not ever have any discussion and brainstorming and community interaction because of this. And as I said before, it's in the situation it's in now because of exactly this.

But hey, good for you defending your little closed knit group of sociopaths, it's better they live here than in the real world.

This is an inappropriate response to my post. The second half of my post was an encouragement to use community to create value rather than arbitrary mechanics that will just get abused all the same. There was nothing negative in there; it was an encouragement to take initiative as a community.

Your personal attacks didn't stop. Enjoy some time off. I, for one, will continue enjoying the *HC* thing and think there's a lot of good things that can and will come from it both on the purely-playerbase side (like the Top 5 lists) and from the staff-organized side (like the impromptu thrown together list that exists now as a "hey that'd be cool" thing and anything else that may be under consideration). The way to keep those things from happening is making it filled with anger and personal attacks, and we can't have that continue. *HC* is too fun to let a handful of people screaming on the forums ruin it for everyone.

A friend suggested combining Hardcore Mode with another one of my holy grail of mechanics: remorting or New Game+. Basically when you HC die you are HC rerolled instead (keep name) and get a small (SMALL) bonus based on aggregate exp earned in the run or something similar. I thought it was an interesting idea even though I do not believe HC needs a reason to exist outside of it simply being hardcore. Anyway!

You know, we can't give robots more neg rep when he's banned. That really sucks. Well, here's hoping he crawls back under his rock, and stays there this time. *raises a beer* Everything else about this game is about the trophies, why wouldn't shouldn't HC mode?

Slaar, that idea sounds pretty nifty. A nice little bonus for somebody who tries to do it again. But how would we track the previous attempts? Maybe add a number on the end of the name on the reroll?

Simply put a number in the central picture where your tombstone goes for how many times he/she was re-rolled using the rebirth option to keep the name and continue. What I would love to see if the rebirth system was used, is an ability to track the vendor value of all dropable gear lost from all the deaths and restarts. Why throw money away on your charm when you can just take it to the grave with you.

A friend suggested combining Hardcore Mode with another one of my holy grail of mechanics: remorting or New Game+. Basically when you HC die you are HC rerolled instead (keep name) and get a small (SMALL) bonus based on aggregate exp earned in the run or something similar. I thought it was an interesting idea even though I do not believe HC needs a reason to exist outside of it simply being hardcore. Anyway!

Love it.

I've pushed for some form of new game+ for over a million years and I think this could be a great place to put it.

My idea for that: make the bonuses stack and make the bonuses a charm / charm aug.

if you did remorting or whatever you want to call it you would have incentive to make good 1-65 content and that would be silly dont do that.

The problem is I don't want this to be all that people do all day, you know? I really don't want to split the playerbase into people who keep raiding and people who spend time doing HC stuff over and over... if more people TOTAL palyed and some of them kept doing hardcore stuff I guess that would be fine but I don't want it so people.. well whatever you know what I mean!

ALso I know you are being facetious, but know that all devs really would rather be making lower level content and that is a prime motivator for HC mode on my side!

Back
Top Bottom