"Hardcore" real character death mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically you carefully grind to 65 on easy stuff in a week and then grind AAs in miel c until you realize how boring that is and then quit? You can't raid; death is part of raiding. 'cept maybe for really cautious necros and monks who refuse to pull, I guess.

So basically you carefully grind to 65 on easy stuff in a week and then grind AAs in miel c until you realize how boring that is and then quit? You can't raid; death is part of raiding. 'cept maybe for really cautious necros and monks who refuse to pull, I guess.

I mean this is the case for women and small children, yes

<Real Men> is now recruiting, requirement is that you must die in a spectacular fashion within a month

I would come back and make time that I don't have just to play this.

Also going to echo a couple other people here and suggest that you lock hardcore toons from trading with softcore and the softcore listsold if anything comes from this.

Last edited:
Also going to echo a couple other people here and suggest that you lock hardcore toons from trading with softcore and the softcore listsold if anything comes from this.
Yeah don't do that. This is going to be an amazing item sink for all the retarded droppables that have been added since ikisith.

Yeah don't do that. This is going to be an amazing item sink for all the retarded droppables that have been added since ikisith.

Yeah, hooray for helping the market out. Most stuff sells for vendor it seems, this could actually drive the price up on some of this stuff. If people want to drop 100k on a HC alt toon, knowing they could lose it all at the drop of a hat, I say let them. As the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Meh, maybe I'm in the minority here on this, but the cool factor goes out the window if this turns into nothing but a giant twink circle jerk. They better at least be cute.

No, you do it anyway. Because, we're not careful. Dying is part of this. Zaela, with how much you hate being slowed down and how frustrated you are at ideas that can't be executed, dying permanently for a character should be right in your plan.

Last edited:
Yeah, hooray for helping the market out. Most stuff sells for vendor it seems, this could actually drive the price up on some of this stuff. If people want to drop 100k on a HC alt toon, knowing they could lose it all at the drop of a hat, I say let them. As the saying goes, "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Let us die with all that equipment!

Meh, maybe I'm in the minority here on this, but the cool factor goes out the window if this turns into nothing but a giant twink circle jerk. They better at least be cute.

Let us die with your equipment. Nobody can claim they powerleveled a twink all the way up without dying.

Zaela!

Show me the highest toon right now that has never died.

This is another reason I don't like the announcement system for deaths being limited only to 65. The achievement isn't to reach 65 without dying, it's to reach any level above 1 without dying. If being spammed with messages was really a concern there are tons of ways to deal with that, have it broadcast on an unimportant channel people can ignore if they want, limit it to broadcasting only in the zone the player is in, have the broadcast be handled by crier-type NPCs in towns where they periodically broadcast the death announcement for a limited amount of time.

The ability for all your work to be wiped out has two things going for it, it makes you value the character more and it provides bragging rights for impotent nerds which is a huge motivational factor, look at traek alts. Sure this will be used by awful people looking to game the system and do it the easy way but what isn't and why does that matter, either they hit a plateau eventually or they are forced beyond that and die and are erased. For everyone else this this is a feature that has room for something this game is sorely lacking, imagination and a feeling of triumph that doesn't require raiding.

There are already so many stupid caveats and suggestions being proposed in this thread that would serve to do nothing but complicate the system. You could literally implement it as it is outlined in Fuwok's post (outside of the archives zone perhaps) and it would be fine and people would use it and it would be an amazing item and cash sink. What is the problem? Don't make this into too many cooks spoiling the broth.

value the character more
Yes, this is in fact a big part of the appeal for every game ever made to ever feature permadeath. But to futher that point, the further you get, the more immersed in that character and game you get.

provides bragging rights
Damn skippy.

Sure this will be used by awful people looking to game the system and do it the easy way but what isn't and why does that matter
But this is where you lose me. When is the last time you actually dropped I dunno, upwards of 10k on an alt on sod? If you died before 40 or 50 having done that, it was because when you were chain pulling groups of 10 mobs at a time, you spilled the coffee you were drinking with your left hand onto your dick wielding right hand causing you to jerk your left foot which was playing the game. There would be no ounce of bragging to surface in the ocean of shame that would drown out this whole concept if you don't separate the economies.

it would be an amazing item and cash sink.
I don't get why you care. Why do you care? If there is an urge to go address item and cash flow, why not brainstorm solutions about fixing that instead of appending your problems onto something cool with potential to be amazing if not for your apparent problems.

Zaela, with how much you hate being slowed down and how frustrated you are at ideas that can't be executed, dying permanently for a character should be right in your plan.

Maybe if there were anything to do for it. A flag, a *10, and a quick function to make death permanent. Nothing interesting there for me.

Maybe it could be interesting for some of you for a few days, but I don't see how this will add anything lasting to the game. Do the most boring content in the game repeatedly! Out-level any actual low level players in the space of a day so they're still alone in spite the influx of new lower-level characters! Endless training disputes!

It doesn't fix any problems and it doesn't actually do anything to address the inherent staleness and crappiness of the game. Oh, I'm sure a tiny subset of people will get a kick out of it over the summer, but after that it will be yet another unused bit of content crapping up our codebase and duly being copied over to 3.0 even though we'd be way better off without it.

And I just don't see how it fits, in any case. It's a slow-paced progressionistic group-play grindfest game. Most of the time dying isn't even really avoidable no matter how well you play, even when you can see it coming, unless you're being powerleveled. The ability to avoid death and the ability to get exp without having to rely on possibly retarded groupmates is hugely uneven across the classes. The game isn't made for it at all.

Just make a dungeon/zone with 100+ random enemies that can spawn at random levels and put all the hardcore characters in there.

Maybe if there were anything to do for it. A flag, a *10, and a quick function to make death permanent. Nothing interesting there for me.

Maybe it could be interesting for some of you for a few days, but I don't see how this will add anything lasting to the game. Do the most boring content in the game repeatedly! Out-level any actual low level players in the space of a day so they're still alone in spite the influx of new lower-level characters! Endless training disputes!

It doesn't fix any problems and it doesn't actually do anything to address the inherent staleness and crappiness of the game. Oh, I'm sure a tiny subset of people will get a kick out of it over the summer, but after that it will be yet another unused bit of content crapping up our codebase and duly being copied over to 3.0 even though we'd be way better off without it.

And I just don't see how it fits, in any case. It's a slow-paced progressionistic group-play grindfest game. Most of the time dying isn't even really avoidable no matter how well you play, even when you can see it coming, unless you're being powerleveled. The ability to avoid death and the ability to get exp without having to rely on possibly retarded groupmates is hugely uneven across the classes. The game isn't made for it at all.

These are all the reasons that I think we NEED hardcore mode.

Well, with one refutement: endless training disputes won't be a thing because of the nobody can help you, you are really stupid rule.

What about instead throwing the person in the archive they get removed from HC so that the character could be played still but never again in Hardcore mode- I just cant see someoen getting to 65 then dying and never being able to play again with all that hard work. Or even in archives for a period of time and maybe all your armor gets decreased a % or everytime you die you Lose 5 levels.

Everyone probably sees hardcore as something else- I see it as never ending but increasingly hard-
every death = 1 or multiple of the following
-decrease in amount of levels depending on current level
-loss of all your gear
-banished from game into archives for (set period of hours/days)
-must start over at lv 1
-or just kicked out of hardcore mode and ooc announcement to rub it in and FLAGGED "Dunce" or "Fail" for the rest of your gaming life on that character.

just throwing out some ideas to liven up this amazing idea.

Here is another amazing idea- Please make another server so everyone must start at level 1 together.

That would be amazing.

Id donate lots of money to get that started- but of course a poll would be in need to see how many people would want to participate. it would also increase the amount of people playing SOD if it was promoted on all emulator web pages-

The reason I feel these emulators arnt as packed as they should be is because people that download it hate playing alone or seeing a waste land with barely anyone in it.

But to start all over... thats an amazing thing and incredibly fun. No twinks- No powerlevel. Maybe server wide announcements for when the first kills raid bosses- bring back the competitiveness in EQ instead of the Powerful staying powerful and the weak never catching up to pose a threat.

Slowly bring out content by doing the voting system when there is a set amount of people getting to certain brackets of levels.
keep everyone close. thus making our experience more genuine. Like its a brand new game just launched.

Long life restart!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom