How to fix SoD's stretched/cut off loadscreen artwork

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
Is your loading screen artwork broken for Shards of Dalaya? Does it stretch and cut off where it isn't supposed to? Leave those days behind you with this one weird old tip!

DISCLAIMER:
This fix will disrupt loading artwork that is already displaying properly; only follow the steps below if your artwork is indeed stretched and cut off!

EDIT:
SKIP TO BLUE TEXT FOR 2.5 UPDATE

Several months ago, I posted a fix for this problem. However, it got somewhat buried as it probably didn't belong in that thread in the first place. Today, I am reposting this fix for those who wish to do away with their stretched/cut off loading artwork once and for all.

Directions:

1. Locate bmpwad8.s3d within your SoD directory.
  2. Make a backup of this file and place the backup somewhere safe just in case.
  3. Download the following modified version of the file (<600 KB in size) from my Google Drive: bmpwad8.s3d
  4. Place the newly downloaded file into your SoD directory, overwriting the original.
  5. Log onto SoD and enjoy the loading splash artwork the way it was intended all along! (Don't let the scary Undead on the right-hand side spook you! :eek:)
Any feedback is appreciated. :)

EDIT:
UPDATE FOR 2.5

I've heard some people still have issues with distorted loadscreen art even in 2.5. In the modern client, the above method no longer applies. The upside is that the fix should be much simpler now. I am unable to test the solution myself because I never encountered the problem in the switch to 2.5. However, I believe the fault lies in a wonky .jpg that is easy to find and replace.

Directions:
  1. Backup the following file in case you need to revert for any reason:
    • [SoD Directory] > Resources > loadscreen.jpg
  2. Download this version of the file:
  3. Overwrite the original loadscreen.jpg with the newly downloaded version.
  4. Log into the game as usual and confirm the artwork has been restored to its proper dimensions.
If this helps anyone in 2.5, please post here to let me know the updated method works. :)

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Worked like a charm, I had forgotten what the un- screwed up load looked like, it has been so long.

I will try this. Always been curious what's on the right side heh. Just curious, is this broken for everybody or just some? If it's everybody don't see why it wouldn't be included in a patch.

It's not everybody. Certain graphics cards do this and others don't. If we add it to the patcher, the people that are not affected by it being stretched will have a smooshed looking one.

It's not everybody. Certain graphics cards do this and others don't. If we add it to the patcher, the people that are not affected by it being stretched will have a smooshed looking one.
Although, if someone wanted to make a screen that would look good both ways, I would totally put it up.

It would mean seeing what section was cut off, and making a bigger image that looks relatively whole both cut into that section and in its entirety.

This fixed my loading screen. Thanks.

Do all the devs play with "new" (Luclin) graphics?

Do all the devs play with "new" (Luclin) graphics?
No, I hate all of them. I use the Vah one though because the non-Luclin Vah have weird issues with holding shields backwards, probably because they were hacked together last minute and not really meant to be used.

This never was stickied for some reason. I spent like 15 minutes scouring the forums for it and using the terrible, terrible built in search feature finding nothing. Then I Googled it and bam, there it was. I still think it should be stickied (probably under Technical Support?) since this is a fairly common problem for people.

The original post has been updated for 2.5 for the few people who still experience this problem despite the client transition. Hope the new method works, because I can't test it for myself....

Back
Top Bottom