How to Restore 2.0's Default Spell Icons

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
For DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD, skip to the GREEN TEXT below.

==========
Today, two different people asked me how to restore the old spell icons from 2.0. Luckily, this is just about the simplest UI mod imaginable. There are a few different methods for acquiring the files, and some installs already come with the necessary files in a separate folder. However, for simplicity's sake, I figured I'd provide a walkthrough and download of my own.

I dislike 2.5's default spell icons. That's not just the nostalgia talking, either. The new spell icons are "busier" than their classic counterparts and generally much darker. This is especially bad for spellgems, which are a mere 24x24 pixels. At that size, there's no space to waste on detail!

Compare the following spellgem set as it appeared in 2.0 vs. how it appears by default in 2.5 :

xZ4qGLH.jpg

And for a larger comparison, look at these 2.0 icons in the spellbook ― bright, consistent, and simple:

PeXbzFf.jpg

And then look at the same pages using the 2.5 icons ― darker, inconsistent background coloration, and a lot more detail:

iGzRuxV.jpg

This mod is a simple drag-and-drop operation, so read on if you're interested.

==========
DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD

Note: These instructions tell how to replace the default spell icons. If your custom UI uses its own spell icons and you'd rather use these, adapt Steps 1 and 3 accordingly.
  1. Navigate to [SoD Directory] > uifiles > default.
  2. Download and open the following .zipfolder:
  3. Move all 10 files from the .zip folder into the default folder, overwriting when prompted.
  4. Log in (or use /loadskin) to confirm it worked.
If you decide you'd rather stick to 2.5's default spell icons after all, repeat Steps 3 and 4 using the following .zip:​

Last edited:
I returned from 5 years ago and only remember new icons. The thought of swapping ever icon from new to old and having to retrain my eyes to recognize what is what frightens me.

Is this a similar reason why some like old spell gems? (Every vocalization concerning spell gem icons in my presence involves wanting to return to old gems)

I personally dont like the manilla folder background on the old gems, to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom