How to Restore Classic Iksar Two-Handed & Archery Animations

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
For DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD, skip to the GREEN TEXT below.

==========​

The current client doesn't render two-handed weapon and archery animations properly for pre-Luclin Iksars. In the case of two-handed weapons, the character dips awkwardly into the ground each melee round as the left arm and lower half fail to animate, resulting in this:

0p1dsZ9.gif

I've only noticed one instance of a fellow player bringing this up (good eye, @Tevinter), but given the abundance of fake Iksars on the server, I'm sure many players have noticed that something isn't quite right with their character's movements in combat.

Recently, @Zaela created a handy little one-click tool that she shared on the Project 1999 forums to address this quirk. It fixes the corrupted data of global4_chr.wld within global4_chr.s3d so that both two-handed weaponry and bows will once again use their original Kunark-era animations. The fix also applies to Iksar skeletons and Iksar citizens (e.g. an ikild mercenary), both of which piggyback on the playable Iksar model's animation.

I have tested Zaela's tool in SoD and can confirm that it works here, yielding the following:

KUQgrMF.gif

If you'd like to Make Iksars Great Again, read on.

==========
DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD
  1. Download the following .zipfolder:
  2. Open the included Instructions.txt file and follow the steps listed there to complete the fix.
  3. Log in to confirm it worked.
Note: If you want/need to revert to the bugged animations afterward, delete global4_chr.s3d file and rename global4_chr.s3d.zae to global4_chr.s3d.​

==========
All the credit goes to Zaela, of course. ;)

EDIT: As of 5/17/2017, I've hosted the above download myself to account for a broken link in the P99 thread. The Instructions.txt file is adapted from Zaela's post in that thread. All credit still goes to her!

Last edited:
Good catch, @muzakragex. I've updated the original post to account for the broken link and have provided a new download. Let me know if you run into any problems.

On another note, the fact that the download had been broken for ~2 months before anyone mentioned it here goes to show how much better it would be if the fixed version of the file were included in the patcher. Players who don't browse the forums or who don't often play as this race may not realize the bug exists for pre-Luclin Iksars, let alone that there's a quick fix for it. :(

Just wanted to point out that this works for bow animations on my iksar ranger as well. Thanks Grink / Zaela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom