How to Restore Rock Lump/Wand of the High Researcher Icons

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
For directions/download, skip to green text below.

==========

Between 2005 and 2008, the developers at Sony added lots of new item icons to the game. Unfortunately, they unwittingly overwrote the original dragitem27.tga UI file with an updated version that corrupted a couple of item icons within that file. While SoD's previous client used the original version of dragitem27.tga, the 2.5 patcher only supplies the newer version.

The result is that a chunk has been taken out of the Rock Lump icon (ID#1442), and the Wand of the High Researcher icon (ID#1462) has been overwritten completely by some kind of runestone:

Item%20Icon%20Fix%201_zpspbsudjf7.jpg

Because the wiki's item images and Fomelo both pull directly from the official SoD database, these two icons were corrupted in those places as well. For example, note the runestone in this character's primary slot.

Despite having eight separate EQ installs for various purposes on my machine, not a single one still had the original dragitem27.tga file. Luckily, I was able to scrounge up a single instance of that file within an archived backup of the SoD UI that I made in 2014 for reasons I can't even recall. I pasted the original icons over the corrupted ones, and the result is as follows:

Item%20Icon%20Fix%202_zpsdk55ipfd.jpg

A quick login confirmed that the fix worked in game without a hitch:

Item%20Icon%20Fix%20Demo%201_zpsekepxgjn.jpg

Item%20Icon%20Fix%20Demo%202_zpsfo6n86ql.jpg

==========
DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD

To restore the original 2.0 icons on your end, follow these steps:
  1. Locate dragitem27.tga and (if it exists) dragitem27.dds and back them up in case you want/need to revert later on.
    • These are typically located in SoD Directory > uifiles > default.
  2. Download the following .zip folder:
  3. Open the downloaded .zip folder and place the new dragitem27.tga and dragitem27.dds where the old versions used to be. (Refer to bullet point under Step 1.)
  4. Log in and enjoy.
==========
I think this is the first time I've shared a fix involving UI files, so any feedback is appreciated early on just to verify that this works for others. Ideally, this fix would be snatched up by the staff and incorporated into the patcher so that the wiki and Fomelo icons are restored as well, but for now, a manual fix for players is better than nothing. :)

Grinkles, you're an actual blessing to this server/ community. Everything you've done and created and just found out to share with people is mind blowing to me. Thank you for being awesome. You mentioned in another thread how grim this place can be. I really like seeing your posts. A breath of fresh air honestly.

Back
Top Bottom