Insidious Elements change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonk84

Dalayan Elder
Currently, this tome feels useless. Do resists even matter anymore for DoTs?

I am suggesting the following,

The last tick of necro's DoT adds a counter for that element. These counters increase all further element damage by the necro on that target by .5 / 1 / 1.5 / 2 % per counter. If a mob resets all aggro (returns to bind position), the counters are removed.

Thoughts?

Honestly that doesnt sound bad at all. Necro dps is kinda boring as we tend to flatline out on dot damage and average pet dps where the other int casters get no shortage of crazy spikes with either luck (wizard ult/primals) or good setup/situations (Enchanter having Avatar targets or Mages having multiple targets to hit or something they can stack summon pets on).

i feel like you idea would give something Necros to work for on a fight to boost their dps to levels that can match 60% of the other dps classes that usually outparse them with some effort (and time) without being overly broken.

it feels bad when you cycle your 5 best dots along with clickies and maintain you pet and still fail to outparse a beastlord.

WTB necro dot ultimates =p (Mob X suffers a Ravaging Infliction)

My thoughts: Necros are in a good spot and don't need more DPS.
Disagree - necros flatline around 1300 - 1400 dps while other casters/dps do not experience such limitations.

I suggest a tome that incentivizes keeping 4+ dots on a target. Longer its maintained, higher chance of ravaging infection (@Faylahs)
Also shadamir's idea has merit. A tome that pays homage to the necros dot twisting, the better its performed, the more dps they do (outside of normal means)
-Pazms

Then my complaint would be what is the point of this Tome? To reduce resists by 50 max only for your DoTs that don't get resisted anyway? Also, mob resists have no change on DoT damage that I'm aware of, if that were to change then maybe this tome might become useful. As it stands, this tome is more useless than the druid Queen Bee one.

I also disagree that necros are fine DPS wise. As Pazms said, we tend to flatline at 1400, and realistically that's only when we are able to stack DoTs. For every other class, they are able to quickly hit and usually sustain their DPS. What I suggested would at least help necros in the longer fights.

Top end where do necros stand against their DPS counterparts, and how much work is required to obtain that DPS?

Last edited:
Yes lets have the wizard/enchanter speak for necros... smh.

Some other facts i realized
Wizards get - elementary Evocation. a tome that helps their non-crit dps
enchanters get - cascading bond which gives them new ways to dps (and possibly w/e third enc tome ends being)
Mages get - Empowered Storm AND word of power 2 dps increasing tomes

so what do necros get?
-A fairly useless resist adjust tome.
-A pet mimics lifetap tome that is basically garbage since most necros probably dont cast direct lifetaps in fights all that often unless soloing (which also prevents pets from attacking while they cast it if it isn't instant mimicry)
-A good tome for exp groups and some raid fights that replenishes mana and a bit of hp if you are lucky enough to land a killshot (which can be hard cause our direct nukes are slow and low damage)

As far as i can see i think Necros got the shaft on getting a good class tome that helps their DPS a bit.
Even all the melee classes get a tome that helps their dps as well as most the tanks.

But hey feel free to ignore Necros that still play this game.

i wonder if the -200 resist adjusts on most necro dots are legacy from when dmg spell resists were all or nothing... or if they're really intended to be essentially always hitting for max dmg.

anyhow, why not keep the tome as is but

step 1: raise base damage of necro dots
step 2: change resist adjusts of necro dots (ideally so a non-tomed necro does similar damage to the old base damage on most targets)

the higher base damage + actual use of resist checks would better scaling a possibility

of course then you get to enjoy the "my important class tome only drops when i'm not there" game

the issue with insidious elements is the hilariously large -resist adjust on some necro dots coupled with a lot of high tier monsters having very little resist to begin with anyways. Necros parsed pretty well when I played before 2.5 but things may have changed by this point. Another factor to consider is that necros do well on fights where other classes (enchanters, wizards) would typically run out of mana. Between the flat mana increase of 2.5 and characters being more geared its left necros unable to outlast the classes they have in the past. From what I understand, the necro lifetap mimic tome is actually detrimental to DPS as well.

It is, pet has to stop whatever its doing to cast the lifetap. If it was instant that would be a great benefit to that tome line.

Another idea is to allow it to grant different pet stances, turning the relic pet into a monk/rogue (lower hps,higher dodge/evade,higher melee dps,backstab/kick) or an SK (higher hp's/AC/Aggro, lower dps) and turning the caster pet into a cleric or wizard/magician

Between the flat mana increase of 2.5 and characters being more geared its left necros unable to outlast the classes they have in the past

ill admit i didnt think about the extra mana everyone got which allows wizards to go a bit more "ham" on non-burn phases of fights (instead of reserving for curses or certain phases ect).

Regardless, i still feel either the leeching servant or the insidious elements tomes needs some form of improvements to help Necros in "currant" SoD times

My humble opinion; listening to the wants and desires of people/classes just may keep people playing in this dry era of shards. I think it's time to stop worrying so much about power creep and start worrying about fun because no one really plays anyway

Edit: I don't know how difficult things like this would be to implement so maybe it's not worth the trouble

Pretty good idea.

I have thought about changes for the Tome as well, hope no offence I post it in this thread (was thinking about making my own eventually).

The idea is, that based on # of different elemental types of dot's, there is a chance that dots can explode.

I haven't done the math, on how high a % each # after the first 1st adds, pr. tome, that its good but not stupid good.
Anyway just to get an idea, it could be 1% chance pr tome, times elemental type. (max 4 x 4, 16%).

The "Explosion" can only occure on a critical dot tick, and if it explodes, the dot tick it self gives double damage, and all remaining ticks on the dot goes off all at once, and the dot wears off (max 10 ticks, so dumb long dots cant be exploided).
Ticks going off as a result of the explosion, can crit like normal, and again can have a chance to "explode" (doing double damage), but obv cant make the remaining ticks go off again, as they already did.

So this idea keeps in spirit with the original tome, that it does nothing unless you apply atleast 2 elementals types, it gets better the more you apply, and finally it adds some extra fun to the necro, that you dont just look at a timer, but actually have to look out for your dots going off, and need to re apply to keep the chance up.

Last edited:
Heh, does it get to explode onto the necro, like a mage raining themselves?

Wile+E.+Coyote3.jpg

Explode... Go off... I don't know what to call it o_O:rolleyes:

R2 would be a little awkward, because most likely, just 1 part of it would explode, leaving the 2nd part on still...
But then again, it also makes it so that you still have "magic" on target, despite some of it wore off from the explosion.
(Also R2 might have been to good with such a tome, if both parts went off at once, so basicly it fits well in to current mechanics in a way)

Don't know if the "random bursts" could be a problem. There are times when you want to hold your DPS, and this could be an issue, but if the dot is on, the DPS isen't held anyway...

I think it could add alot of fun to the class, ofc more dps is always fun. Though I'm pretty sure that it would take some time to get "procs" as you need atleast 2 dots on target, and once one goes off, well you lost an elemental type, so have to re-apply, and obv they also just wears off after time, so also have to chose what dot to do, ect.
"Hm, R2 Pet-heal just went off, should I do R2 again, or should I recast the poison that just wore off...."
"Hm, 2 targets, should I cold both, or should I cold and fire 1 target first, and then start building on the other..."
"Hm, I already have 3 elemental types going, should I cast poison for the stable high dps, or should I cast disease and hope it goes off early..."

It would be a little like Wizards primals, just not as good, but still similar in small chance of "bigger" bang. Necro's would just have to work harder for it to even being possible, and also hope that when it did happen, it wasn't the very last dot tick of the dot :)

Last edited:
Hello I am a necro here he is
Explosions are bad, because there are mobs that need to be mezzed. And quite honestly I am not a complete geared necro top to bottom but working my way up the tiers with only skipping T1 my dps has been fine since 2013. Including today. Necromancers are fine, the tomes we have are pretty neat, and I use them everyday to the maximum capacity when I play to get maximum effort out of my character and do decent DPS.
Please do not mention necromancers again we are really good and I don't want more nerfs to our amazing class thank you for your time <3

^^This has to be a troll post....
Explosions would actually be marginally better, if you dotted a mezz mob. Say you casted all 5 dots, your breaking mezz's for the next 1 minut. If your lucky, your disease and fire expodes off, and you just looking at 36 seconds of mezz breaking.

Or perhaps I'm to blame, by using the term "explosion". I didn't mean to suggest to turn Dots in to AE's, if that is what some read out of this.
No AE at all, just a small chance based on number of dots on target, that a dot will deliver all it ticks at once, and wear off. (Read my post again perhaps, I think its pretty clear)

Last edited:
We all know your parses are biased to begin with. Just because YOU are dissatisfied with the class dosnt mean it needs to be changed. I would rather watch the Necros who have been playing and gearing necros for years list good ideas then some guy whos been playing his necro for a few months list crazy ideas. A few classes have a tome or 2 that could use a change, and Shad/Fay have good ideas for this

Last edited:
Binsin Binsin...

You say my parses are biased, and really you mean, I do way more dps in my parses, than I'm actually doing.
I'm suggesting to parse, to see how not great Necro dps is... I'm a Necro, and I parse and... Never mind, you wouldnt get it..

That I have idea's doesn't prevent others from having good idea's, or even better ones. I have played this game for many many years though, and Zake was made in 2008; as usual your arguments are worth little to nothing.

Keep trying though, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while :rolleyes::p (though it is getting old fast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom