"Kind of a classic EQ" server in the works

Elysium

Dalayan Adventurer
So apparently SoE is making it happen:

http://eq.crgaming.com/viewarticle.asp?article=10462 (Second article from the top)

My prediction: It will suck. The uber guilds will plow through things faster than ever and will probably open up Planes of Power within a month or two. It would be cool if they bring back old school Cazic-Thule, although I doubt it.

EDIT:

Personally, I feel they should make one server with the original content, one with original + Kunark, and one with original + Kunark + Velious. Never add expansions. Yeah, the hardcore power OMGWTF players will get bored in these (especially the classic server), but that's exactly the point. The servers should be for people who wanted to experience the classic content as it was, but never got the chance.

I think a progression server is a better idea than just having a server with only original + kunark enabled (or either of the other 2 options you mentioned). Really how many times can you kill vox+nag before it gets old (or Trakanon)? There has to be the enabling of expansions at some point. Will people power through the progression server? Yes probably, but I bet it will be fun. Having to kill certain end-of-expansion mobs to open up the next expansion for the whole server is a cool idea IMO.

I think this has the potential to be something cool. Definitely a server that's not for everyone. My guess is they would do something like next expansion will be unlocked in 3 months time or whenever Ubermob A has been defeated, whatever comes latest. That would give people some time to enjoy the time period before advancing to the next period and give the ubers something to shoot for.

I'm definitely considering playing on it. Up through Velious could be a lot of fun.

Quests spanning from level 1 to max level? Regeneration mode when not in combat?? Wiz I think you should sue! :lol:

A dev posted on eqtraders that it would be kind of a mix regarding revamped zones:

Freeport and the Desert(s) of Ro will remain in their current status on the progression server.

Veeshan's Peak, Paw, and a couple other zone revamps will be in their original datasets on the progression server.

They are going to use the new Freeport? Damn. I wonder what they will do for Nektulos and Lavatstorm.

Homogenn said:
Didn't he say that they won't be using the old Freeport? :brow:

Yeah, thats how it will be.

I am going to give it a try for sure. Being the chump that I am I paid for my live subscription by the year... it still has 3 or 4 months on it. :roll:

Cant wait to hit up some oldschool Cazic-Thule. Bladed Thulian Claws ftw!

Good idea, but a little (read: much) too late.

Also, I forsee this being a rather short party. Velious will probably be conquered in 2 months... and well, it all goes downhill from there.

It will depend on if people have to start completely new characters. I cant see a guild really doing all of the old world + Kunark + Velious in 2 months.

I guess its possible, but imho its highly unlikely. I miss the old Velious days though, back when skill was more important than AAs ....

Thorgrym

Thorgrym said:
It will depend on if people have to start completely new characters. I cant see a guild really doing all of the old world + Kunark + Velious in 2 months.

I guess its possible, but imho its highly unlikely. I miss the old Velious days though, back when skill was more important than AAs ....

Thorgrym

It'll be two months at the most. The reason it all took so long to be conquered in the first place was because the underlying techniques used nowadays weren't developed properly (effective powergaming, guild structure, etc), and since most of that got hammered out in the course of EQ. Subsequent games/expansions have seen a trend of being beaten very quickly because while knowledge of the content is good, it's second to knowledge of how to play by a large margin.

If you took a whole top end guild even from SoD, like Forsaken, and put them in a time machine en route to 1999 and had them play EQ like they play SoD, EQ would have been beaten very quickly.

I agree about the players understanding how to play the game being a huge factor. Everday mechanics of grouping and raiding which we all take for granted now took awhile to develop. Remember when it was "bad" clerics who used that awful complete heal spell?

I don't know about 2 months though if you are talking about finishing through Velious. It really depends on what is required to unlock. If Veeshan's Peak is required, that key alone is a heck of a time sink. Sleeper's tomb key would be another big time sink. Epics and gearing up will take a bit of time. No one starts off with rez sticks anymore. I think people might be surprised just how tough some of these mobs are. A good chunk of the playerbase never got to engage Trak back in the Kunark days. Guild progression dictated that a lot of guilds had to wait their turn and they got to fight Trak during the Velious/Luclin era and had the benefits of gear/spells/aa's from those expansions. Mobs like Vox, Trak, and Gore, and Sont/Aary/Vindi certainly chewed through a number of raids in their prime.

I'm with you though, experienced guilds/players will tear through the content much faster than before. Just how fast is something I'm looking forward to seeing. The old world certainly has to get unlocked pretty quickly. People forget just how crowded and lacking in end-game content the original EQ world was. I'll predict 2 months old world, 2 months Kunark, 2 months Velious. If the unlocking happens naturally fast, say Kunark unlocked in 2 weeks, I predict Sony will introduce artificial time barriers in some way.

Jame said:
No one starts off with rez sticks anymore.

Huh, did they ever? This isn't the first server where people start fresh you know? Either way, as far as epics go, you only need one sprinkler and a few ragebringers.

You have a point with Veeshans Peak though (Unless they gimped the keyquest. Did they?)... but 6 months? I don't see it happening. Unless there are some dramatic post-luclin changes I'm not aware about, or the server fails to attract a top guild.

Modern MMO'ers will grind through that material in weeks. It took like 6 or 7 months for the first level 50 to show up and no one knew how to play a MMO or EQ in general back then. No one knew to attack a mob from behind, no one used complete heal, no one knew how to gear out their characters or where the best stuff was.

Too bad I still wouldn't be able to go griffin and hill giant hunting with a charmed ghoul like the old old days ;(

I was just using rez sticks as an example of something a guild will have to detour to acquire for the future. They will probably will want more than one rez stick as I think this server is going to have a high attrition rate as some people will probably find out it's not all they thought it would be.

As for the VP key quest, they did make it different when they re-vamped it a bit ago. But the old key quest is still there in all it's timesink glory and it'is an optional/shortcut part of the new one. The worst part of the quest for me was the Pained Soul. Took 14 hours for me for that one part. Trakanon's tooth is also required. I think he drops around 4 per kill. To outfit a raid force of 24, will take about 6 kills. If Trak is on a 7-day timer, that means it could take up to 6 weeks to get all the pieces you need. Now introduce a 2nd guild racing for Trak and it gets worse. If VP is required, I think the timesink of the key quest will really slow things down. (and probably cause attrition as well)

As for Velious, I forgot that they made Sleeper's keys drop off many more mobs than the Velious of that era. That could really speed things up with Vindi as a key source.

I had fun with getting keyed for Veeshan's Peak and Kerafyrm's Lair, but it was Vex Thal that killed me, if i went on this classic server, i think i would quit at that point, cause after that is PoP anyways, and i always hated PoK.

Edit: I also wonder what they will make for the triggers to get through LoY and LDoN, and wonder if that will take more then a day after some guild takes down Quarm :?

wow this is incedibly tempting, something I've always wished they would do.

I dont think there is a chance in hell that it will only take two months for all the way to velious to be complete.

Having noone to res on the entire server will keep the leveling slow, noone to teleport at all, noone to bind you? Just getting from Qeynos to FP will take a ton of time itself. Plus there will be a brand new economy and it wont be efficient. Remember the old Gfay/Ecommons days you will actually have to spend time buying and selling your items.

Some of the timesinks in the old world are insane, It woudl still take a guild months to just get their whole guild keyed up for VP, not to mention if everyone is trying to get into VP.

I really hope that they make the keys to open the next expansion something hardcore. Like in order to open Kunark the server must have killed all the standard dragons, plus everything in the planes of hate fear and air. If they just require naggy and vox to be killed I have a feeling the old world planes might get passed by in order to just get kunark armor.

I actually wish they wouldnt make the expansion something that is triggered, I wish they would do it when they think the time is right. For instance somthing they should look for before opening the next expansion is if people have had enough time to really expirence the content of the old world. Before Kunark is openend I should have had enough time to get my full set of PoF/PoH armor. That itself should take months.

Here is my expected timetable based on releasing expansions in an intelligent manner:

2ish to 3ish months to see the top 20% or so of people reach the level 50ish area. I think this is really due to the fact that there will be a huge cluster of people around the same level going after the same camps and it will be overcroweded. I remember playing a whole week and I was lucky to get 2-3 levels in the 30-50 range. Old EQ was poorly designed with not enough content.

Should take another 2-3 months to get people geared up to the point I think they should open the next expansion. The planes are on week-long timers. They drop maybe 3 pieces of armor for each class on a good raid. So lets say you are very lucky and get a piece every week that still puts it at 8 weeks. And honestly one piece every raid is really really not likley, most classes will have 5ish people on a PoF/PoH raid and there will be weeks when nothing drops for a class.

Kunark

This is probably a shorter time period because I think some of the hardest parts of the expansion were figuring out the epic quests and how to raid VP. With this information already known. I'll bet Kunark is a 3-4 month expansion, mainly due to the VP key. Leveling to 60 will be pretty fast, probably take a couple weeks, then camping the VP key for a whole guild will take a couple months. Clearing VP will take a couple weeks. Again your going to run into the issue of gear. I think you would want at least a couple people to be able to have full sets of Kunark armor before Velious opens up. This takes time. Probably shouldnt delay Velious based on Epics, but at least everyone of them should be obtained at least once on the server.

Velious

This is the toughest one to figure out. I hope the trigger would be killing the AOW. This is something that only a handful of servers were able to kill before SoL came out. There is so much raid content here, doing all the faction stuff, class armor, clearing Ntov, sleepers keys, finishing off all those Epics. Ill bet this all takes 4-5 months.

So 5 + 4 + 5 is a little over a year. Honestly they could get away with releaseing them every 6-8 months. You really just want to time the expansions so that people do not run out of ways to progress (not counting tradeskills).

I also dont think this server would attract a bunch of uber guilds. I just dont see that hapening, most people will play on this server to get that old world feel but still play something else that is new to them. Ill bet most ubers quit in their 20's when they cant find a group and lose that level and a days worth of playing due to not being able to find a rez.

Back
Top Bottom