"Kind of a classic EQ" server in the works

i am in beta for 1 week now

beta is under double xp and some people have exploited a task to xp faster, even with that the first lvl 50 came in a week

Maddoc said there will be timers to unlock expansions, for exemple if the timer for classic EQ is 1 month and they kill vox/naggy in 3 weeks they will get a message who said sky/fear will only be open in 1 week due to the timer

old CT/Paw etc are in!!

newbie armor quest have been deleted, you loose corpse and xp from lvl 5 etc the actual beta Combine is real Classic (beside no book when medding, new UI and chat channels)

imo it will take around & month to open sky/hate/fear than another month to open kunark, then 2 more month to open velious and some months (dunno, like 3-4) before any guild can kill AOW, luclin will be faster imo, like 2-3 month
for info on Stromm, the last fresh server, it took 7 months to uber guilds to kill Quarm, but they had from the start all expansions(no need to farm VP Keys or hate/fear armors to get stuff or to unlock expansions like in the combine etc)

bed28fr said:
i am in beta for 1 week now

beta is under double xp and some people have exploited a task to xp faster, even with that the first lvl 50 came in a week

Maddoc said there will be timers to unlock expansions, for exemple if the timer for classic the Game is 1 month and they kill vox/naggy in 3 weeks they will get a message who said sky/fear will only be open in 1 week due to the timer

old CT/Paw etc are in!!

newbie armor quest have been deleted, you loose corpse and xp from lvl 5 etc the actual beta Combine is real Classic (beside no book when medding, new UI and chat channels)

imo it will take around & month to open sky/hate/fear than another month to open kunark, then 2 more month to open velious and some months (dunno, like 3-4) before any guild can kill AOW, luclin will be faster imo, like 2-3 month
for info on Stromm, the last fresh server, it took 7 months to uber guilds to kill Quarm, but they had from the start all expansions(no need to farm VP Keys or hate/fear armors to get stuff or to unlock expansions like in the combine etc)

Ok... Maddoc did not say the timers will be like that, its getting kinda annoying how many people are saying that now. The only purpose for the failsafe timers were to prevent "exploiters/hackers" to unlock the expansions before the server accomplishes what is suppose to be done to unlock them.

Also, it will take alot longer to unlock the expansions then you think it will, the more guilds, the longer it will take.

The Maddoc Fan Club
http://gummibaeren.tripod.com/themaddocfanclub
http://themaddocclub.proboards92.com/
serverwide.maddocfanclub

I'm so tempted to play the Combine server that I may have to check it out. I know I'm one of the fearful that don't want to see it become basically what it is now within half a year. I started playing in early 2000 when a friend of mine picked it up when he was wheelchair bound from a wreck. I'd love to see it take a long time before expansions come out. EQ went about a year before Kunark was introduced, granted it was new and most players won't want to wait that long. I just don't want to see the game reduced once more to "who can kill this mob faster" or "how quickly can we get to the LDoN expansion. I'd like to savor the time I have while playing in the old world. Having to dual wield bronze swords, going after the Burning Rapier quest, standing in the EC tunnell screaming out "WTS Bronze chest, arms, helm, selling 2pp per AC, pst."

I didn't play in on the highest end game as much as most. I tried my best to be a quester and do raids that seemed fun and benefited someone even if I didn't get anything other than memories and some exp...I loved Kunark and Velious due to the lore behind it all. Nothing was cooler than trying to solve the old quests like Mergan Dower's head.

I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same. I think they do since there's been so many other servers created with the idea of making EQ more enjoyable like it used to be...but what do I know...Sony is going to go where the money pulls them...if enough people complain and want it to turn into a lewtfest, then it will..

Does anyone remember when Verant was over everything and were kind of hardasses about everything. Things would run better and be so much more enjoyable if Wiz was in charge of the Combine Server. (No ass kissing intended,)

Aldous Dreamchaser said:
Does anyone remember when Verant was over everything and were kind of hardasses about everything. Things would run better and be so much more enjoyable if Wiz was in charge of the Combine Server. (No ass kissing intended,)

We've been saying for years they should just hand the reigns over to us.

I've been ready up on this quite a bit and I have many hopes and the optimistic part of me feels that this server will ultimately be populated by old schoolers that want to enjoy the old world adventures. I have a feeling that most hardcore gamers and uber guilds will try it, but go back to their previous servers to play like they have been. The overall struggle most will encounter will turn a lot away from playing. Let's face it, the game is a cakewalk now compared to that of 5 years ago...Remember those lvl 4 corpse recons when you were hunting in an unknown zone? I knew guys who put gear in the bank when they went from Butcherblock to Freeport because they were afraid to lose their ac7 +1 to int robe that they earned. In the last few years it seems that the game catered to whiney player's needs rather than telling them, "tough."

I remember (I remember a lot eh?) people complaining about certain changes and basically were told "tough it out." Now it seems that if a mob is too hard or a quest is to long, the devs will change certain aspects to make it simple...I almost crapped myself when the made changes to Hate...c'mon, it was fun to zone into PoH and never know if it will be clear or full of mobs...it made the encounter fun...that's why you had crazies like me to be on the suicide squad to run in.

My point is that too many people come to EQ expecting things handed to them...that's why you see a ton of lvl 70's that have no clue what they are doing - I.E. Ebay chars.

I shouldn't have such high hopes for this server, but I can't help it.

Well today's the big day. My account is activated for some reason, so I guess I get to play for free for now. Here's to hoping it's fun!

(Gfay is going to be absolutely shitpacked)

Well, I logged off after 8 hours and I was 4 yellows into level 7. Greater Faydark was absolutely packed, when I logged on there were 505 people in it. The lag was unbelievable.

505.jpg

"Kind of a classic Game" server in the works

Elysium said:
Well, I logged off after 8 hours and I was 4 yellows into level 7. Greater Faydark was absolutely packed, when I logged on there were 505 people in it. The lag was unbelievable.

{Edit: Snipped image. Didn't see it until now.}

Holy crap. That's a lot of people. I was wondering if they'd send one of those "come back" messages to me and activate my account for a month, but I guess not. Oh, well, just as happy here. Explored as far as Heartland Plateau the other day with my 7 Druid. Great fun, not having any idea what the next zone was going to be, or the mobs in it.

Whoops, I take that back. Just stumbled on the invite in a random email account. Hm. Don't know if I fee like dealing with 500 people in GFay, however....

Edit: Oh, one more thing - what's the "revamp" of Freeport that they talk about in the Game? I just looked at their discussion boards, and someone was talking about "Freeport 2"? Was that a graphics revamp? Or content? I always found that one of the more confusing places to move around in...

What the hell is that?

Good job on destroying the classic orc model, S.O.E. Blurry ass sub-par piece of shit texturing. God damn.

I'm afraid to ask what other classic models they've altered.

The desert madman's worst fears have come true. They've ruined his own lands.

sp4mm said:
What the hell is that?

Good job on destroying the classic orc model, S.O.E. Blurry ass sub-par piece of shit texturing. God damn.

Yeah, that's one of the things that annoyed me the most. Apparently they changed just about every lower level monsters' models except Gnolls I think. Orcs, goblins, snakes, bats, spiders, etc. But I managed to get used to it.

Oh, one more thing - what's the "revamp" of Freeport that they talk about in the Game? I just looked at their discussion boards, and someone was talking about "Freeport 2"? Was that a graphics revamp? Or content? I always found that one of the more confusing places to move around in...

They changed the graphics of Freeport and the layout. It sucks now, and I hate passing through that junktown. North Ro has also been 'revamped', but I'm not sure about South Ro. Thankfully they left the Commons the fuck alone.

Well, time for me to go fight for a spot in an Unrest trash group.

Elysium said:
sp4mm said:
What the hell is that?

Yeah, that's one of the things that annoyed me the most. Apparently they changed just about every lower level monsters' models except Gnolls I think. Orcs, goblins, snakes, bats, spiders, etc. But I managed to get used to it.

Oh, one more thing - what's the "revamp" of Freeport that they talk about in the Game? I just looked at their discussion boards, and someone was talking about "Freeport 2"? Was that a graphics revamp? Or content? I always found that one of the more confusing places to move around in...

They changed the graphics of Freeport and the layout. It sucks now, and I hate passing through that junktown. North Ro has also been 'revamped', but I'm not sure about South Ro. Thankfully they left the Commons the fuck alone.

Well, time for me to go fight for a spot in an Unrest trash group.

Ah, Unrest yard trash - I remember it well.

Yeah, I saw some of the updated models - mainly the bats and wolves. Didn't realizes they'd mucked around with orcs, too. Oh, right, I did see the Goblins, come to think of it. Had no idea what I was looking at the first time. I'm kind of curious to see the new Freeport. Don't know if I feel like undoing what I've done to my Game directory to get SoD to run.... I'm assuming I have to undo some patches, etc.

Elysium said:
I've never been so grateful for the /hidecorpse all command...

<pile of corpses>

Fyreball, Sarnack, Charmen, Kamikaze, Goilsmage etc...

Good 'ol live.

Re: "Kind of a classic Game" server in the works

sp4mm said:
What the hell is that?

Ill just post the address since i would probably get slapped if i posted the images...

A Large Rat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/autumnwynd/eq1/EQ000873.jpg

A Wiskered Bat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/autumnwynd/eq1/EQ000875.jpg

Ice Gobbies
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/autumnwynd/eq1/EQ000879.jpg

Spiders
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/autumnwynd/eq1/EQ000880.jpg

Drakes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/autumnwynd/eq1/EQ000882.jpg

Diseased Rats
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/autumnwynd/eq1/EQ000884.jpg

Clockwork Spiders
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/autumnwynd/eq1/EQ000883.jpg

Yeah new models and the changes to zones are horrible.

But im playing it and having fun, lvl 40 atm!

O how I missed charm kiting

On sleeper as yanbik and/or zimzulu

Mostly zimzulu as I stole his char since I cant hardcore it enough to lvl up with the guild.

I stopped playing a few days ago, about a day before Vox/Naggy/Phinigel fell. I was only level 17 and I completely underestimated the poopsocking that was going to occur by the uber guilds. Figured I didn't want to invest any more time into a character if things are progressing at this rate.

Also, caster DPS is extremely unbalanced compared to melee DPS due to the spell revamp they did a while ago. When a single Magician (me) can easily out DPS an entire group of melees, something is horribly wrong.

Elysium said:
poopsocking

I thought the poopsock was only a noun, but you have expanded my vocabulary, good sir. I doff my cap at thee.

Allielyn said:
=O

That WAS fast.

On both progression servers they are ready for Kunark to open. I dont know when they will actually open it though. First lvl (Phinny/Naggy/Vox) went down between the 7th-10th, 2nd lvl (CT and ...Inny?) went down between the 10th-12th. And this is after the server opened June 28th. Needless to say I was on it for a few days and have a lvl 10 druid on there and was gonna wait a few days for the PLers to get out of the lowbie zones and praying the trains stopped. I have no desire to go back to it.

SoD is my kind of "classic server." I was hoping to be able to be relatively UTD on the expansion releases and be able to kill mobs like an expansion or 2 behind the highlvls and kill mobs I never got to before like Naggy and Vox but at this rate mid lvl guilds will be skipping bosses to get to better loot. As far as i know my guild is around teens to 30's like many of the guilds. I am hoping they will keep with their 3 month delay on expansion releases but I heard Kunark will be open in about a week (unverafied).

EDIT: Just found this...

SOE Announcement

We wanted to clear up some things regarding the progression servers that have happened in the last few days. First off, sorry that it has taken some time to get this information up but we wanted to sort things out first.

Kill Credits and the EQPlayers Progression Chart

There was an issue that caused our scripts not to fire off when the first kills occurred on Friday the 7th (or maybe it was very early on the 8th). We discovered this Saturday morning and got the majority of it working that night. The unfortunate result is that we had no meaningful record of the events during that time period. Through investigations and discussions with the pertinent guilds we were able, for the most part, to reconstruct the events. As of today, we should be have given the correct credit for the kills. Hopefully, this is all behind us and going forward the events should be recorded as intended.

Where is Kunark?

The Combine has completed all of the necessary steps to open the Ruins of Kunark expansion but, as you know, the continent is still not open. The fact of the matter is that you have hit our minimum timer. We are going to let the timer run out as initially planned which means that the Kunark expansion will open just about on July 28th. Congratulations to a job well done! This goes to Realm of Insanity and Fires of Heaven on The Combine as well as Insidious Vision on The Sleeper. Whether or not you agree with all of the tactics it is truly an amazing achievement.

Hey, This Isn’t What I Wanted!

We know that there is a segment of the progression population that is disappointed at the current rate of expansion unlocking. We can understand this feeling and there are some of the same points of view on the development team; however, we did not create these servers in an effort to force a particular outcome. One of the great things about EverQuest and any good MMO is that it is the players that drive the game. We created an environment with a specific set of rules then put it out there and watched it go. We made an effort before we even launched to make sure that these conditions were as clear as possible without completely exposing the details of the events. This is one reason why we have been so adamant about calling it a progression server and not a classic server. In the future we will continue to evaluate the possibilities of adding new servers with different sets of rules.

Remember, this is only the beginning of our journey through the history of EverQuest expansions. I hope you are all enjoying the ride.

Thank you for your time.

The Company said:
Whether or not you agree with all of the tactics it is truly an amazing achievement.

What the hell does that mean? I have no particular desire to wade through the dreck found at their forums, but, I am a bit curious. What'd they do that the Company finds OK, but certain players might not?!

Back
Top Bottom