Less Is More

triptoy2002

Dalayan Adventurer
Minimalist Living: 100 Things I Don't Own

stealthcamp.net

workamper.com

cheaprvliving.com

PAST:
In my teens life happened, and I found myself couch surfing for a few years. This combined with my drug habits led to me living in my car. I made the best of a difficult situation, and my friends were surprised that I found ways of enjoying life (after I figured it out, takes a bit to get over the "hump"). Though life was not great, there were certain freedoms I have very fond memories of.

PRESENT:
30 years old, worked the same job for nearly a decade, lived as a bachelor in the same 1 bedroom apartment for the last ~6 years. I kicked the cigs, kicked the drugs, and only drink in moderation (for me that works out to about 2 drinks), confidant in my willpower. A few years ago I started to go through the things I own, bit by bit, and got rid of things I no longer needed. I now own no bed (I have about 2 inches of padding between my bedding and the carpet), own no couches, own no dresser (hang clothes or leave them in the basket, I'm a bachelor after all), own no kitchen table. I could hold all my pots and pans in my hands, my PC owns the living room, I don't use my bedroom at all anymore.

Every day I feel the road calling to me, and I wonder where my minimizing will eventually lead me. I have taken to surfing websites like the ones above, websites about traveling, living cheaply, living in trailers, RVs, conversions. Every time a friend moves to California, Montana, New York, Equador, the UK, China, I feel a piece of myself trying to find a way to go along. To see things, to meet people, to know the world around me. More than that, to leave the pointless things we have been convinced we need by the constant barrage of advertising, which doesn't care about what we REALLY need, but only about what we can be convinced to spend on.

FUTURE:
A wise man (or a fool) once told me not to let the stuff I own determine the size of my living space. Another wise man (or a fool) once told me that there is only one difference between a dream and a goal. That difference is a plan. For now I will continue to minimize. But will this longing turn out to be a goal, one that I work out a plan for, or is it just a dream? Destiny is contrary to the concept of free will. My future is in my own hands, my answer, not written before the question was posed to me. Only time will tell...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom