List of online chars.

Snake

Dalayan Elder
Was wondering if it was possible, kinda like with the server status, what zones are up and down, if it was possible (and easy) to make a similar site, but just with names of chars currently logged on to SoD.

My motivation for such a list, is that its often that other people use my chars, and I'm totally fine with that, but if I just load my char with out checking if its in use, well I may ruin lots of work, cause their tank just went 'poof'.

So obviously I always load an other char first to check; but cause I'm lazy and innovative, I thought why not a list of online people I could save as a URL, and just open while I'm opening my client :)

I was ready to disagree with this before I read it, and I'm not positive that is the solution, but since in 2.5 a char gets booted before you even get to char select to see they're in a zone indicating someone's already on them (to my knowledge...what I've been told), and since it takes quite a bit longer usually to load a separate character to see if the one you want to load is already online (compared to 2.0), we really could use a solution to this issue. I'm not sure a list of everyone online is the answer, but at least maybe a way to lock a second person out from loading a char in, although I could see the issue with that where, say your tank passes out, and you have to load them to boot them so someone can take over or something. Idk. but it would be nice if something could be figured out. Maybe also put something in place where if they hit more than like 4 or 5 buttons at once, they get auto-booted in case of a /faceplant...

another solution would be to link the chat servers to something like discord where you could have out-of-game to in-game communication capability in the /ooc channel or other channels.

more practically, if i'm doing something with someone else's toon where it matters if i will be kicked, i change the account password temporarily. it's a simple safeguard, and you can even do it while logged into the toon.

conversely if i'm first logging on to my toon and someone hasn't changed a password this way i just assume that they're fine with a boot (then again only a handful of people have my info).

This is why mumble/vent is such a strong tool and surprising more people don't use it. Even if you aren't in a raid or raiding guild, it really helps to just ease lines of communication. A lot of times I'll log into mumble and ask ppl "hey, someone using my toon? am i cool to log in?" generally that answer is: who the hell boxes a beastlord, but at times someone will let the fake Daenar know that the real dbag is coming online and to find a safe spot to /q out.

hostname: shardsofdalaya.com
port: 64738

Anyone can use it, but I really only see dragonkin and SV ever make use of it. There's 6 spare group channels for random ppl grouping, there's extra channels for raids if ppl want to just PUG it up, and if those were to ever get full, there's guild channels that are ghost towns these days (see: chaotic winds, prophecy) that ppl can jump in to chit chat and get stuff done.

If you don't log in your characters ever again you will not run into the problem of booting people off of them. This is the solution i found that works and it doesn't create any extra work for the devs. Maybe you should think things through before making suggestions that make more work for other people.

Just get someone to camp your chars in Poe for weeks at a time. Eventually you'll just give up and never log in again. Problem solved!

Back
Top Bottom