Locking threads...

Re: a few points

Xanex said:
in summary, again i must restate that i believe in the positive power of dialogue to inform. communication and the ability to transfer knowledge is the key to the success of our species. the internet provides an even more powerful tool to communicate and inform, so i like to use it and i like to use it to talk to people who have a different worldview than myself so all parties, myself included, can walk away with insight on a different perspective. the worst that happens is someone says something stupid and i tell then, well bud, you just said something stupid. and who doesn't say something dumb from time to time? i know i do. that's life and it's not a big deal in real life, so why should it be on the forums where even more cover for anonyminity is provided?

and yes, some people say idiotic things constantly. again, that's life and it's not particularly harmful in this specific situation.

the fact that any participation, at any level, from skimming to actually reading to posting, is all strictly voluntary, should be enough itself to make you reconsider. for those who don't want it, they can easily ignore it. i don't spam this board or clutter it. for those who want to participate, i'm sure they know the risks invovled with human interaction and one can only assume the accept the possible consequences (probably because the consequences aren't so serious, so hey, why not!)

ps - who cares if you are american? the age of the nation-state is over. globalization means we all deal with each other, whether you like it or not, so you might as well get some practice. the fact we ilve in a global market means the misadventures of the american empire will certainly have direct impacts all over the world. how are you going to feel when america attacks iran and oil hits $100/barrel?

apathy is expensive. as long as you can afford it, i can see the attraction, but if you only feel motivated to affect change when things go wrong (for you personally, because things are always going terribly wrong for someone else), trust me, it will be too late.

It's not that I don't care about the issues in a more general sense, I just don't care to have them on these forums because they only create bad blood and divide people.

And man, that has to be one of the worst posts in the history of ever. It's hard to take it seriously with the kind of language you use in it.

sure

opinion noted. what language makes it "the worst in history" specfically though, because i didn't realize i was such an extreme fellow.

also, consider my position for a moment and why i choose to write at such great length.

i'm just a peon on this forum. while you don't have to justify yourself or make any coherent argument at all, that is all i have. being a mod is one of your powers. my power is persuasion through words, and maybe it's not so hot. maybe it does create the worst posts in the history of all message boards (or even this one- i doubt it), but it's something i have to do because i don't have the luxury to sit back and take indefensible positions that rely on nebulous terms. (you object to the possiblity of bad blood. bad blood = hurt feelings and/or animosity. tell me again what kind of topics are protected from the possibility of generating hurt feelings and/or animosity?. this ain't exactly disney.com and people ain't exactly forced to read/participate. i'm very open with my views and even advise people both my toon's names to make /ignore easier. i don't want to talk if they don't want to listen, but some people obviously want to listen, as evidenced by posters in my threads, viewers and the PMs i get saying "hey, nice post" .. but that's ok because you are the mod and don't have to explain why potential hurt feelings outweigh the possibility to educate. i understand and try to be respectful in not disparaging the luxury afforded to you; and posting here freely in order to persuade or inform is my luxury and i would appreicate if you could show the same courtesy to me.)

Re: sure

Xanex said:
opinion noted. what language makes it "the worst in history" specfically though, because i didn't realize i was such an extreme fellow.

also, consider my position for a moment and why i choose to write at such great length.

i'm just a peon on this forum. while you don't have to justify yourself or make any coherent argument at all, that is all i have. being a mod is one of your powers. my power is persuasion through words, and maybe it's not so hot. maybe it does create the worst posts in the history of all message boards (or even this one- i doubt it), but it's something i have to do because i don't have the luxury to sit back and take indefensible positions that rely on nebulous terms. (you object to the possiblity of bad blood. bad blood = hurt feelings and/or animosity. tell me again what kind of topics are protected from the possibility of generating hurt feelings and/or animosity?. this ain't exactly disney.com and people ain't exactly forced to read/participate. i'm very open with my views and even advise people both my toon's names to make /ignore easier. i don't want to talk if they don't want to listen, but some people obviously want to listen, as evidenced by posters in my threads, viewers and the PMs i get saying "hey, nice post" .. but that's ok because you are the mod and don't have to explain why potential hurt feelings outweigh the possibility to educate. i understand and try to be respectful in not disparaging the luxury afforded to you; and posting here freely in order to persuade or inform is my luxury and i would appreicate if you could show the same courtesy to me.)

I bet you get beaten alot in RL.

hello

because that's what happens to upper-middle class americans.

here's a hint, you automatically lose at online posting if you do any of the following:

• talk about how much money you make/how cool your job is (we're all lawyer ninjas)

talk about how much sex you get/how little the other guy gets

talk about how tough you are irl/how the other guy gets his ass kicked irl all the time[/list:u]

do you really want to start our conversation off as a loser? maybe that's just your comfort zone.

ps - i forgot to add that i bet you are really tough in the RL and beat people up. i can tell by your posts on this forum.

do you ever get tired of your fifth grade mentality? i'll bet it makes life difficult.

Your posts here aren't educating anyone. "Hey nice post" isn't coming from someone who didn't agree with you and saw the light through your eloquence.

rab

nice presumption. you don't know who is walking away from what with what.

and it shouldn't be my eloquence, as you put it, that "educates." when i post, i cite newspapers. it's THEIR job to inform. i am just HIGHLIGHTING what the newspapers print. i can't teach a thing, just ask people to think and give them something to think about. everything else is up to the individual.

frankly, i'm really disgusted by the effort here to repress anything marginally "real" or substantial. if it's a post about "who's your favorite band" that's good. if it's a post about "hey where's your RL pic" that's good. if it's a post about news events, then i get slammed. take a look at who all is attacking me and what they are saying, then take a moment to think about the company you keep.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE - i never got anyone (at least publicly) to do a philosophical 180 and pledge allegiance to my flag!!!! that clearly shows that i have been wrong all along! and not just about the notion that words can SOMETIMES convince SOME people or AT LEAST make them think -which would make any number of words worthwhile, except you clever dogs proved me wrong in your steadfast refusal- but about everything!!

you all think you are disproving me or making an excellent point by refusing to read the news i post or honestly consider the points i make. you think you are "winning" by refusing to educate yourselves on the state of the world and the state of our (america) nation. the only problem is, that attitude means everyone loses, not just me, and the few ( and disproportionately stongly represented) who do pay attention and participate control everything, and they are not doing so out of the goodness of their hearts...

who said paradise is every man for themselves? that's the world we want and that's the world we live in. democracy is the closest to balance we have when everyone is represented and represents there own interest -except when people don't. and if you are not the least bit informed, how do you know where your interests really lie?

the argument that "you can't ever convince anyone of anything or offer any worthwhile perspective and so i decided your posts aren't worthwhile so you better stop" is just plain stupid. not a bad way to separate the wheat from the chaff though.

This thread needs some car chases and explosions. I couldnt get through it.

Re: a few points

zodium said:
It's not that I don't care about the issues in a more general sense, I just don't care to have them on these forums because they only create bad blood and divide people.

I have to agree with Zod here. Upon reflection in he aftermath of the "religion" discussion, it was clear to me that I come here to have fun and roleplay, not to discuss heavy issues; and I really didn't enjoy the thread at all. In fact, a lot of other people apparently feel the same way, because there was virtually no dialog other than two people. However, there's a place I DO enjoy going to to do that sort of thing,:

http://www.reallifeforums.com/index.php?c=11

If I'm in the mood for a really good discussion or debate, I go there. If I'm in the mood for fun, I come here! If you really enjoy opening up debate and discussions like this, I would highly recommend becoming familiar with those threads. You'll get a much better response, from a community that enjoys doing so. (That doesn't mean people here don't like to, it's just not necessarily the place.)

Jean Baudrillard's America. Read it, especially if you're American, and go argue with yourself.

The essay Utopia Achieved is a particularily ... interesting... view on the US.

Back
Top Bottom