LOL I love this club...

misin said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070504/hl_afp/healthscience_070504213618

'And thy Lord taught the bee to build its cells in hills, on trees and in (men's) habitations..... there issues from within their bodies a drink of varying colours, wherein is healing for mankind. Verily in this is a Sign for those who give thought'.
(Translation of Quran 16:68-69)

Dude, it's no news that honey has been used as a healing agent for millennia

Verily the heavens opened up and the lord spake, "Drinkith this water, for it will quench your thirst." And the people prayed, "Duh."

Quran also says:
"Honey is a remedy for every illness and the Qur'an is a remedy for all illness of the mind, therefore I recommend to you both remedies, the Qur'an and honey."

oh whoops, seems we are a bit wrong here

Whoever cures first...wins!

Okay here's my challenge.

Science vs. Religion

Chemicals/herbs vs. Praying to an imaginary friend/blind luck

Whichever one of you cures cancer and AIDS first, I'll sign up. But I'm not voting for either of you until I seem some fucking progress.

Okay if I have to vote, I'll go with science, because praying as hard as I could until my belly ached did not let me access the internet.

Honey has been used for quite a while, i agree. I'm not sure about millenia, but at least 1400 years ago (Around when the Quran was revealed). The point is that this verse was well beyond its time, if doctors just now are trying to do studies to prove whether or not it *really* works, and are looking forward to be done with it around 2008 - 2009 (1400 years after God very simply said that yes, honey was a remedy to many many things). Also, in the verse it speaks about making their homes, which in itself is pretty wild. They dont start making honeycombs from one side, they start at different sides, but in the perfect places, coming together in the middle quite perfectly without any misformations.

Because you take water for granted doesn't mean that it also is a sign from God. We do happen to be the only planet in quite a distance to have the water that "humans have been using for millenia"

I once tried to rub honey on a sick dog to cure it. It appears that rabid dogs do not like honey. The shots hurt. A lot. I think there may have been honey in the needles.

Honey collection by humans is an ancient activity. Bee Wilson (2004) states that humans began hunting for honey at least 10,000 years ago. Bee Wilson (2004: p.5) evidences this with a depiction a line drawing of a Mesolithic rock painting showing two honey-hunters collecting honey and honeycomb from a wild nest. The two men are naked and employ a long wobbly ladder which appears to be made out of a kind of grass in order to reach the wild nest. Both men carry baskets or bags. This rock painting is on a wall in a cave in Valencia, Spain.

For at least 2700 years, honey has been used to treat a variety of ailments through topical application, though it was not until modern times that the cause of infection was understood. Now, it is understood that the folk remedy of using honey to treat wounds has a scientific explanation: it acts as an antiseptic/antibacterial agent. As an antimicrobial agent honey has potential for treating a variety of ailments, including MRSA.[25] Antibacterial properties of honey are the result of the low water activity causing osmosis, hydrogen peroxide effect,[26] and high acidity.[27]

Thanks wikipedia.

I remember an article years ago explaining the antibacterial properties of honey, so this isn't a new discovery my any means.

Also, honeycomb formation is by no means perfect as you think. It is quite amazing that they use the most efficient as well as the strongest for these combs, but there are imperfections amass like anything else. A tangent biblical arguement in darwin's time was the perfection of the eye, which is very far from perfection if one analyzes it.

Reading something unrelated I came across an excellent illustration of evolution and thought I would share it here since the validity was discussed earlier in the thread.

Vitamin C required for a range of essential metabolic reactions in all animals and in plants and is made internally by almost all organisms. That is right, most organisms synthesize their own source of vitamin C which they convert from glucose.
Among the animals that have lost the ability to synthesise vitamin C are simians, guinea pigs, the red-vented bulbul,and fruit-eating bats. Most notably, along with the rest of the ape family in which we reside, humans have no capability to manufacture vitamin C. The cause of this phenomenon is that the last enzyme in the synthesis process, L-gulonolactone oxidase, cannot be made by the listed animals because the gene for this enzyme, Pseudogene ΨGULO, is defective. The mutation has not been lethal because vitamin C is prevalent in their food sources, with many of these species' natural diets consisting largely of fruit. [Quoted from Wikipedia]
Interesting illustration of mutation in organisms.
As stated, this mutation was not lethal since the diets of affected organisms already contains sufficient amounts needed. Other mutations contributed to the diversion of species, but this legacy mutation is still there.

Clearly god loves oranges, lemons, and whatnot and as such wanted to encourage man to love them too. It's that whole "in his image" thing. He's workin his mojo.

Back
Top Bottom