Main Quest Faction Redemption

Dimmi

Dalayan Elder
Disclaimer *I'm still on my first toon, and never played EQ Live, expect ignorance!*

It would be fabulous if there was a way to redeem yourself and rise from KoS to the MQ factions, similar to the Redeemer in Newport, for those not bound to a faction yet. I'm sure there are many stories out there like the following, and I'd hate to see my precious 1st toon get left behind. These were all choices I made, and I'm not going to rampage if I can't fix it, just sayin' it would make my day!

Again, I'm sure there are several folks out there who smell exactly what I'm steppin' in...

Adventure in Ignorance #1:
Back in my young rogue days, I went to get my Hand's Hood by killing the Coordinator deep in the heart of Grobb, and through the course of the battle, some Blackscale Raiders met an unfortunate end (i.e., the end of my dagger.) I had NO clue about MQ factions at that point because I didn't know anything about SoD, to include which questions to ask, so I thought nothing about killing a few NPCs. This, however, made me KoS to blackscale...hello failure, I believe we've met, nice to see you again!

Adventure in Ignorance #2:
When I went to Heartland Plateau for the MQ, I went to the Silver Crown camp and declined their offer to join, and likewise with COI, assuming that you tell each faction no, report the Dryad, then go back and choose a faction. I started with COI/SC b/c I'm chaotic evil, and assumed a quick ambassador's writ cast, and I can join blackscale, faction-grind, and no-harm no-foul. This little blunder resulted in being unable to join any of the MQ factions, and I'm even so KoS to blackscale that I can't sneak/hide hail the NPC to report to the Dryad. No MQ, no faction aug, no MQ aug past Insight...Failure calls again, would you like something to drink?

Last edited:
Usual staff policy is to not fix player mistakes, so you might be SoL. What you could try to do is changing your alignment to either non-evil or non-chaotic, so that you could join either CoI or SC.

Ways to do that that come to mind are pledging to a lawful or good deity and doing her aug quest (not lawful AND good, that would screw your deity bonus greatly).
Looking at your alignment, you should go either Marlow (Lawful Evil), Shojar (Lawful Evil) or Tarhansar (Chaotic Good), you share their alignment on one axis.
Given the current completion of implemented augs, I'd recommend Marlow (Lawfull Evil).

Besides that, you should try your luck with the erimal seeker that wants to talk to you about alignment if you haven't yet, and the Vah quest is known to have an alignment hit at some point.

Given that the Main Quest is a multi-step process tied into such a large part of the ongoing lore for the server (and in some cases, for some classes, is REQUIRED up to a point for relics and quest weapons), it would be nice if there were *some* way to pick a faction if you're kos to them, even if it means a lot of painful grinding or farming or both.

I would also argue that being able to come back from kos to pick a Main Quest faction is far more important than being able to come back from kos to Newport.

Usual staff policy is to not fix player mistakes, so you might be SoL. What you could try to do is changing your alignment to either non-evil or non-chaotic, so that you could join either CoI or SC.
WIZ said:
Guild MOTD: Admin-Wiz - Welcome to Dalaya's Beginners, *the* place to ask silly newbie questions. PS. Alignment does not affect faction. (Because it comes up 55 times a day)
Unless these 3 factions are a rare exception, I doubt playing with alignment will do anything other than dig his grave deeper. As stated he's unable to join the other 2 factions due to turning them down already.

Yes and no.

While there is no direct correclation between alignment and faction, specific NPC's may refuse to talk to you based on how your alignment spread is. These happen to include the blackscale, silvercrown, and CoI recruiters. So messing with alignment would fix that... but is probably not the right way to go about fixing this problem.

I could see creating a long boring faction redemption quest, but personally my plate is too full atm to take on any more projects.

I don't think alignment is in the equation, to be honest, just pure and simple faction. I've done the alignment goodies in erimal and originally swore to Tarhyl, then later went Pariah due to the proverbial 90,000 telling me I was stupid for swearing to Tarhyl (heh)...Adventure in ignorance #3 imo, I should have just stayed with Tarhyl, but all that aside, +1 Allielyn and Diolas for hitting the nail on the head. I know the Devs are all SUPER busy right now, and I don't mind waiting if something neat should be slipped in some time to fix MQ faction for those who haven't picked one yet, it would be WELL worth the wait!

On a related topic, it seems rather silly that the rogue quest has you kill blackscale in the first place, since that is one of the more likely sides a rogue-type would choose to align with later on.

On a related topic, it seems rather silly that the rogue quest has you kill blackscale in the first place, since that is one of the more likely sides a rogue-type would choose to align with later on.

I agree. Luckily I was aware of the Blackscale beforehand, so I brought a druid to evac as soon as the coordinator dropped. That being said, I shouldn't have to research the wiki for each quest to avoid permanent hits like this.

That Cordinator guy has always bothered me with the faction hits you get.

Seems to me, being evil and bumping off another evil guy is more like a promotion oppertunity then a negative faction hit. *shrug*

Last edited:
The actual kill for the hood itself isn't a Blackscale hit, though it may be a grobb hit, the blackscale hit comes from the raiders that add with the Coordinator. On a more cheerful note, as soon as you drop the coordinator her head for the turn-in goes straight to your bag to allow for evac/ranger-gate/etc without taking a faction dumpster-dive.

Would the guild GM be a safe NPC to put a BS/SC/COI redemption quest in, that only flags if you're KoS to one of the three and not bound to a faction yet? Or is that not such a hot idea for an NPC to put the quest/grind on?

Last edited:
or take away the faction hit off the coordinator and have him once in a while path to a secluded area where he is all alone? thus making the quest more of an assassination rather than a drive-by?

or how about add in a quest npc like the guard near the bank in newport that fixes your newport faction for those evil classes doing the cult quests,

or how about add in a quest npc like the guard near the bank in newport that fixes your newport faction for those evil classes doing the cult quests,

Actually, the cult quests have their own rewards which offset the 'KOS to newport' issue - ie the cult gate neck instead of the newport gate neck. As a result I see no compelling reason to promote methods by which those dirty sewer dwellers can freely roam my pristine city. ;)

Edit: nice catch Luas!

Actually, the cult quests have their own rewards which offset the 'KOS to newport' issue - ie the cult gate neck instead of the athicaa gate neck. As a result I see no compelling reason to promote methods by which those dirty sewer dwellers can freely roam my pristine city. ;)

Newport gate neck.

Anyhow - I think that there "should" be a way to fix your way out of KoS, it should however be a long, tedious and really painful way. Especially with things like the Rogue Hood Quest ingame which puts a certain pressure on rogues and those that are out to help them.

Disclaimer *I'm still on my first toon, and never played EQ Live, expect ignorance!*

It would be fabulous if there was a way to redeem yourself and rise from KoS to the MQ factions, similar to the Redeemer in Newport, for those not bound to a faction yet. I'm sure there are many stories out there like the following, and I'd hate to see my precious 1st toon get left behind. These were all choices I made, and I'm not going to rampage if I can't fix it, just sayin' it would make my day!

Again, I'm sure there are several folks out there who smell exactly what I'm steppin' in...

Adventure in Ignorance #1:
Back in my young rogue days, I went to get my Hand's Hood by killing the Coordinator deep in the heart of Grobb, and through the course of the battle, some Blackscale Raiders met an unfortunate end (i.e., the end of my dagger.) I had NO clue about MQ factions at that point because I didn't know anything about SoD, to include which questions to ask, so I thought nothing about killing a few NPCs. This, however, made me KoS to blackscale...hello failure, I believe we've met, nice to see you again!

Adventure in Ignorance #2:
When I went to Heartland Plateau for the MQ, I went to the Silver Crown camp and declined their offer to join, and likewise with COI, assuming that you tell each faction no, report the Dryad, then go back and choose a faction. I started with COI/SC b/c I'm chaotic evil, and assumed a quick ambassador's writ cast, and I can join blackscale, faction-grind, and no-harm no-foul. This little blunder resulted in being unable to join any of the MQ factions, and I'm even so KoS to blackscale that I can't sneak/hide hail the NPC to report to the Dryad. No MQ, no faction aug, no MQ aug past Insight...Failure calls again, would you like something to drink?

^ That

I did my hood quest also and since you have to land the kill shot on the guy the first time i failed. Note this is the only guy that i killed some other higher level guy killed everything else for me. I sat and waiting for a repop and then did it again and i got the kill shot. I hid on the rest of the mobs. Yet killing the quest mob twice i became Threateningly to blackscale and i ended up being on CoI faction because of it.

Another noob, another mistake made.

As Dimmi stated, not everyone who plays this their first go-round knows what they are doing. For some, this may be their first MMO ever. When I created Darbey, I had done the first step in the main quest. It was fun, it kept me interested in leveling/travel, and I had a nice time reading into some of the lore. I took a very long break, and just recently came back. I check the Wiki and found the Hand's Hood quest line and end up finishing it off. I walk in and start hacking away at the Coordinator. Once she is dead, those two guards were still beating on me and my buddy. We end up killing 1 of the guards to give us a chance to gate/run out before death. Boom, faction hit! Sure, as stated in IRC by someone earlier, I should have researched the quests. I should have researched every single quest down to the core. But I didn't, because I didn't think finishing a Rogue quest based in Newport and answering questions an NPC would ask me in Erimal would end about 30 hours of questing.

Fast forward about 20-24 levels...Here I am at step 4 in the main quest. I'm currently level 64, I have all the cores and books for my next step in the main quest, and I'm asked to talk to some factions. Well, I'm Chaotic Evil(because that is how I feel a Rogue should be played), so I cannot join the Silver Crown right off the bat. Council of Innovation will not accept me either. I'm not sure if it is an alignment issue, or what, but they don't give me the choice to join them. When I go back to Tesia, no matter what I say to her, she just tells me to come back later. The only group that I seem to fit in with is the Order of the Blackscale. Hey, that sounds great, a group just like me! EVIL! Oh wait, that guard I killed 20+ levels ago dropped my faction enough to whipe any chance possible in joining this group. Is there any way to rebuild it? Wiki says no, IRC says no, OOC says no, and sadly I cannot just skip this part of the main quest.

So like Dimmi, a few small mistakes made as a noob has turned around to bite me. What is the reason for telling players "You're SoL" for something of that nature? Why would there even be a situation where someone that low level could ruin an entire questline for a sweet augment, and open opportunities for more quests and another aug? I don't know any level 40 character who started playing this server and knew to read the main quest fully through enough to memorize who you can and cannot kill in your hours upon hours of gameplay. I have read countless posts, countless replies from the Staff and players, and I still haven't read anything that explains why it can't be fixed at all.

You implemented a quest to fix Newport faction...1 of many cities across the land, yet the main quest that every character will do does not have a reset button? Suppose I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. The staff may not have free time to do such things, may be because you want players to read the wiki and expect them to keep perfect recollection of factions needed, or it could just still need to be put in. I just figured I would bump this thread, because quite a few of us are stuck here from I've gathered from IRC/tells in games.

Anyways, thanks for the thought and help.

Last edited:
I still agree that it's a bad idea to make players consult the wiki for every step made in the game for fear of breaking themselves.

Unfortunately, I think the limiting factor is dev time =X.

So, in other words, I'm pretty much done with the main quest until the Devs get free time or someone pities my soul and fixes this issue manually? All I can say is: bummer. Well, thanks and hopefully we can get this pumped out asap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom