melee vs casters

And most the fights where a single spike can kill a non-supreme caster are marza fights. There are a select few AEs that should maybe be scaled back a tad, or converted to a % instead of raw damage, but marza raid fights are significantly harder than 95% of the raid game, and most of all they are generall fun, so I dont really advocate changing them.

Beyond that, hp is an issue on any fight that involves AEs (and PS fights are way worse since casters have low AC). For a FWF raid, if there are AEs for 5k, caster group needs a GHeal after every AE since 10k would kill us. Meele group can wait 2 AEs, spending only half the mana!. If an AE is 3k then caster group needs a heal after every 2nd AE while meeles can wait for 3...

Any fight that can burst damage on a single player is rough for casters since they will simply die from less. Iskaath and Researcher come to mind from Zaela content (since you asked).

Now, all this is justified if casters are doing better damage and super high end fwf parses tended to show that, but I dont know if that is the case through all tiers.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to give caster gear less intelligence and charisma and more resists and possibly more stamina and agility.

Any T9+ caster has so much overcap on these its a total waste, unless I have missed something.

Give casters a Arcane Shield stance that gives them 10% Spellward ontop of worn, when its active 10% of all AE dmg is drained from mana (prolly a bit to high on this number for some fights it might drain casters to fast, Custo fight u would loose about 4k mana). If there running oom and healers are good, they could switch back to normal stance and dps harder.

That would only really be viable in super short fights or where your really overtiered. If devs want to change anything, just give casters a bit more hp so the gap between us and everyone else is less.

Speaking of Spell Ward, am I the only one who thought that was a pretty dumb/counter-intuitive item effect? No one is gonna conserve their mana just to take a bit less damage. I'd like to see that turn into something more consistent but still caster-specific and defensive...

edit: even as simple as "take x% less damage when not in combat range with or the primary target of the damage source" would be a big improvement.

Last edited:
based on things that i have seen in my travels, i am not convinced that spell ward even works on everything.

spell ward doing.. something... more, would help the situation a lot. it seems like a smart area to improve since tanks and melees can't really get it. i agree the effect being based on current mana percentage should be scrapped. perhaps make it only work on magic, but improve the effectiveness, and scale it on the casters total mana.

ie.
SW% * totalMana * .025 = percentage of reduction of non-melee damage

10% spellward + 10,000 mana = 25% reduction
5% spellward + 10,000 mana = 12.5%
8% spellward + 7000 mana = 14%
5% spellward + 8000 mana = 10%

etc

Another couple of suggestions

(1) PS damage to scale inversely with distance from the mob
(the further away you are the less damage you take)

(2) Int casters receive a bonus of say 25% on heals

I can only think of two fights where PS is a real danger, essence and 4.3. Maybe Ferdin iirc

although the idea of scaling it by distance is cool, I dont think its nearly as big an issue as magic damage

I havn't done any extensive testing, but I always kind of assumed spell ward did very little if anything. I guess its supposed to reduce spell damage by a % * % of my total mana I have, but even with 10 spell ward and full mana, I could swear that when I compare AE numbers with the meeles we take the same amount (maybe im crazy/wrong there is always dodging tears, pally hots, etc making people take different numbers).

Converting spell ward to just a raw % damage reduction from magic damage would definitely be nice, and seems in line with caster lore.

Reducing PS a bit based on range would be nice as well.

Last edited:
^^^ yes, my theory was that spellward doesn't work on triggers. because the dmg was the same on casters as melee. who knows

^^^ yes, my theory was that spellward doesn't work on triggers. because the dmg was the same on casters as melee. who knows

I can't see any reason why that would be the case. Only specially scripted melee hits that ignore ALL modifiers (i.e. Damage Reduction and Runes and Invulnerability, everything) should skip over Spell Ward.

Anyway making a new thread about Spell Ward in S&R.

i think this post is looking at the wrong things. for one monks need a buff because they do like 400 dps and thats only when they get good crits on their kicks. Secondly i think monks need more hp because on one fight in the game i always had to take more damage than any caster took so they should just shut up and stop complaining about dying because nobody even plays this game.

i think this post is looking at the wrong things. for one monks need a buff because they do like 400 dps and thats only when they get good crits on their kicks. Secondly i think monks need more hp because on one fight in the game i always had to take more damage than any caster took so they should just shut up and stop complaining about dying because nobody even plays this game.

quoting for truth

I just felt very sad when "just" after giving mages a candy in a form of shared elemental forms with pets, they went and gave beastlord pets even better versions of the same thing ::(

Oh well, old story, long gone now so I'll leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom