Monk- Human vs Ikky

Dragarr

Dalayan Beginner
I played EQ for a long time... one of the classes I never really tried was a monk since I always seemed to have a friend who played one... so I was going to try one as my first character on SoD... I was wondering if the exp/skill reduction was a big factor in choosing a human monk over an iksar monk... or is it not really that noticeable? also, is there a decent need for monks or does everyone seem to play them? i plan on boxing with a shaman regardless but am just curious if i will be doing mainly boxing or if i can get groups easy enough... Thanks

Make an iksar you will be far better off

A lot of folks say that. And there are certain tangible bonuses to being a lizard (AC, regen), but if I were planning on playing a monk long-term (read: raiding-endgame), I'd go with Human so AA's and Tomes fill up faster. If you're boxing a Shaman then the regen factor is not as big an advantage. And Human monks start off in a lot better area for new toons. (IMO) Find out which races are KOS in different areas. Which character models' ass do you want your shaman to be staring at during combat? And getting into groups won't be a problem, really. You'll find your shaman's role may shift a little bit from duoing to grouping. (more slowing-dot-malo, less heal), but nothing you can't adjust to.

When it comes down to it, play what you like. However, if you go Iksar, I would encourage you to keep the older models, as the swimming animations are excellent!

A lot of folks say that. And there are certain tangible bonuses to being a lizard (AC, regen), but if I were planning on playing a monk long-term (read: raiding-endgame), I'd go with Human so AA's and Tomes fill up faster. If you're boxing a Shaman then the regen factor is not as big an advantage. And Human monks start off in a lot better area for new toons. (IMO) Find out which races are KOS in different areas. Which character models' ass do you want your shaman to be staring at during combat? And getting into groups won't be a problem, really. You'll find your shaman's role may shift a little bit from duoing to grouping. (more slowing-dot-malo, less heal), but nothing you can't adjust to.

When it comes down to it, play what you like. However, if you go Iksar, I would encourage you to keep the older models, as the swimming animations are excellent!

WRONG. The XP difference is very negligible...go iksar. Out of a 500AA grind you are only down 35ish AAs. So if you grind all 5 tomes of power you are only down 1 ikisith tome but you have more AC...Iksar all the way.

I played EQ for a long time... one of the classes I never really tried was a monk since I always seemed to have a friend who played one... so I was going to try one as my first character on SoD... I was wondering if the exp/skill reduction was a big factor in choosing a human monk over an iksar monk... or is it not really that noticeable? also, is there a decent need for monks or does everyone seem to play them? i plan on boxing with a shaman regardless but am just curious if i will be doing mainly boxing or if i can get groups easy enough... Thanks

There is literally no reason to be a human for any class other than wanting to be a human.

I prefer human, but that's just because I don't like the way iksar look, or the sounds they make.

I go human, but that also has to do with my preference. In the end you gotta go with what you like, screw what others have to say and even what minor bonuses you might get. Humans also get better factions over all which can help.

xp negligible, blind as fuck.

No reason to make a human. Ever. For anything. Really. If you want to look like one, you can later (using the same buffslot you would repeatedly be using ultravision on yourself for as a human) just get an sb permanent illusion as a human. Problem solved.

not to go off topic but humans are awesome looking and there are maybe 5 human monks that are 65 and all of them dont play i dont think.

get at me if im wrong

A million times this.

There's very, very few human monks on the server. Being an active human monk would make you quite unique. However, being a female iksar monk may be even more rare.

Also regarding lack of vision ... there's a number of items that have worn effects of infravision or ultravision, so you don't have to waste a buff slot just to be able to see. It's only a real annoyance at lower levels, in the grand scheme of things it's pretty insignificant.

tiasJ.jpg

Velious monk armor textures. Amazing looking.

I play a human monk. Female even! But I concure, go Iksar. I want enough fame to race change to iksar or maybe gnome.

add zloy to those human monks.

Personally when I consider a monk the only things I care about is ability to pull/split and dps. A good monk wont be hit in the first place so for pulling and dps the ac wont matter much.
Then again Im playing a tankclass, and when there isnt one of those around the monk is way op for tanking.. In those scenarios the 45 ac will be awesome. So basically, it all depends on what you want to do on your monk.

Human Monk FTW. Gawain representing.

And skill makes a million times more difference than the AC will. Play what you like to look at, the rest doesn't matter.

P.S. Screw you, Dimmi. All in PR? I'm hurt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom