NASSA - Negro American Space Society of Astronauts

Aytowun said:
well,

dago alredy offered to change his name but they didnt make him do it

regardless if the video is funny the thread is racist

reminds me of people who think they arent racist but the 1st thing they ask people when they meet them is trying to find out their ethnicity

OK THIS was my last port for real this time ... =p

peace

And your comic is insensetive to rape victims, ergo, you're a sexist. Why are you sexist?

Are there any black people on these forums?

Edit: For the people who want to bash this Im just curious as to what they think about it.

hi

you don't have to be an animal to be against animal cruelty. you don't have to be gay to support gay marriage. you don't have to be black to be offended by racism.

that said, i don't really care about this thread but i just thought i'd point that out. not bashing, just saying.

(if it's not clear, what i mean is that we don't have to wait for a black person's opinion on whether or not something racist against blacks is adequately offensive. if you are going to be sensitive to offending people, then everyone's opinion should count even though the more affected are rightly given more weight. i.e., i'm not poor but i'm disgusted by the lack of healthcare for the poor or even middle class in america. even if a poor person didn't care, my feelings are still justified and appropriate)

I dont think anything I said indicated that, but I would like to hear from their particular point of view about something like this, since Im pretty sure everyone who has spoken on it is white.

I was watching Dave Chapelle and he was making fun of black people. I think we should lynch him for being racist.

Nurgock said:
Are there any black people on these forums?

Yes there are (well atleast one anyway :p ) Anyway truth be told I've seen this before and I thought it was pretty funny and well done. It has always erked me when people hop on their soap boxes to defend us "poor minorities."

also for Calaran

calaran said:
White people drive cars. Was that racist? I mean seriously....

Some of my best friends are white and many of them don't drive cars. I am enraged by your sterotyping of white people. Racist...

As a person who faces discrimitation in the modern world, this isn't racist at all.

Comedy such as this is the opposite of racisim. It doesn't exist to show black people as lesser, it exists to show that racisim is wrong. It is poking fun at the folies of the past. It also is a way to ensure that the mistakes of the past aren't forgotten. Without people that can address these issues with humor the tension between the races would never have died down to where they are now. Clips like these are quite importaint to us as a society as they demonstrate the fact that we are all the same, and how silly it must have been to treat eachother in those ways.

I understand some people can't see the forest thru the trees and see something with black people in it and imedeatly scream racisim, but really things such as this serve more to bring us together then tear us apart.

kyoritza said:
As a person who faces discrimitation in the modern world, this isn't racist at all.

Comedy such as this is the opposite of racisim.  It doesn't exist to show black people as lesser, it exists to show that racisim is wrong.  It is poking fun at the folies of the past.  It also is a way to ensure that the mistakes of the past aren't forgotten.  Without people that can address these issues with humor the tension between the races would never have died down to where they are now.  Clips like these are quite importaint to us as a society as they demonstrate the fact that we are all the same, and how silly it must have been to treat eachother in those ways.

I understand some people can't see the forest thru the trees and see something with black people in it and imedeatly scream racisim, but really things such as this serve more to bring us together then tear us apart.

Very well stated. ;)

Hehe, this video is great, saw it a little bit before the GBSTV crash. I'd forgotten all about it nearly, glad I have the youtube link now though.

Lol, just wanted to say that race doesn't biologically exist. There is no genetic coding for a "black person." Infact there are "white" people who are genetically closer to "black" people then another "black" person is... Yet racism still can exist but I find it rather amusing anyone would bring it up in this sense, the video. Plus, I don't see how the video itself is racist when it refers to a past which was a racist time period. It's obviously different now, and just because someone says "Hey, blacks couldn't be (whatever) back then " doesn't make me a racist or anyone else for that matter.

Hostyle said:
Lol, just wanted to say that race doesn't biologically exist. There is no genetic coding for a "black person." Infact there are "white" people who are genetically closer to "black" people then another "black" person is... Yet racism still can exist but I find it rather amusing anyone would bring it up in this sense, the video. Plus, I don't see how the video itself is racist when it refers to a past which was a racist time period. It's obviously different now, and just because someone says "Hey, blacks couldn't be (whatever) back then " doesn't make me a racist or anyone else for that matter.

I find this hard to believe given there are obvious racial differences (skin color being the most noticeable). There is a native american race (I think inuit or similar) which has a genetic 'flaw' which causes them to gain more weight then other people. Their bodies adapted to a low food environment and more efficiently store fat then other people, causing genetic obesity with the food supplies of the modern age.

iaeolan said:
I find this hard to believe given there are obvious racial differences (skin color being the most noticeable). There is a native american race (I think inuit or similar) which has a genetic 'flaw' which causes them to gain more weight then other people. Their bodies adapted to a low food environment and more efficiently store fat then other people, causing genetic obesity with the food supplies of the modern age.

As far as skin color being a difference, it has nothing to do with genetic coding only allele's which are the reason people have red hair instead of brown hair or blonde. Also allele's effect eye color, are you saying everyone who has blue eyes are a different race then someone who has brown? Secondly, I'm not exactly sure where you got this conception that native american's have a "genetic flaw which causes them to gain more weight then other people," this sounds like quite the ingnorant statement which no factual basis behind it. I suggest you take a biology class or go to your local biology professor to help explain my point more effeciently in person. That statement is just incorrect.

Hostyle said:
As far as skin color being a difference, it has nothing to do with genetic coding only allele's which are the reason people have red hair instead of brown hair or blonde. Also allele's effect eye color, are you saying everyone who has blue eyes are a different race then someone who has brown? Secondly, I'm not exactly sure where you got this conception that native american's have a "genetic flaw which causes them to gain more weight then other people," this sounds like quite the ingnorant statement which no factual basis behind it. I suggest you take a biology class or go to your local biology professor to help explain my point more effeciently in person. That statement is just incorrect.

Can you stop being so overly sensitive? Eye color and hair color varies over generations, but skin color does not. It is true that this race of native americans has this genetic "flaw" and I say flaw because they view it as so. Hundreds and possibly thousands of years of evolution so efficiently stored fat that traditional diet and exercise does not solve thier problems, this is indeed a flaw in the modern world.

"Historical studies suggest that for many Native American communities the high rates of obesity are a relatively recent phenomenon. The specific reasons for the increase in obesity among Native Americans have not been determined, although it has been hypothesized that Native Americans have a genetic predisposition to overweight in a "westernized" environment of abundant food and decreased energy expenditure."

"The Thrifty Gene. Some experts think the existence of a so-called "thrifty" gene regulates hormonal fluctuations to accommodate seasonal changes.
Such a theory could explain the high incidence of type 2 diabetes and obesity found in Pima tribes and other Native American tribes with nomadic histories and Western dietary habits. In the past, the traditional low-fat high-fiber foods (corn, lima beans, white and yellow teparies, mesquite, and acorns) of the Pima people may have protected them from obesity and type 2 diabetes. But today, they now have a high incidence of such disease."

Once again, please stop being overly sensitive and hostile towards others on the subject. It only makes you out to be equal or worse of a biggot.

EDIT: sources http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/abstract/3/suppl_2/289S and http://www.well-connected.com/report.cgi/000053_3.htm just do a google search, I remembered this from a program on television not too long ago.

Hostyle, while maybe not approaching it as calmly as somewhat sensitive topics like this require, is correct about the lack of genetic basis for a race. Traits are genetic. What we see as 'races' are merely collections of people who have predispositions to certain combinations of traits. The predisposition comes from breeding within those races that reinforce the similarities. By this process, we have people with pale skin, fine hair of many colors, certain predispositions to health problems and skin conditions, etc and we call them caucasoids (or caucasians or white people). We have other people with darker skin, darker eyes, coarser hair, and a completely different set of likely health problems (sickle-cell anaemia anyone?) and we call them them negroids (or black) people. Native Americans also have groups of traits, but the problem with calling any of these 'races' is that would specify that everyone is of one race or another and would either deny the possibility of people who come from 'mixed' relationships or claim that they are not people because they cannot belong specifically to any given race.

If the two aforementioned races combined, you could have someone with fine hair, skin that falls between dark and light, a complete lack of genetic skin/health problems (lucky) who has green eyes. What are they? Are they black? Are they white? They are of no particular race, and neither is any other person on this planet from a purely scientific standpoint. There are no genetically-defined races, there are merely culturally-defined divisions based upon combinations of certain physical traits.

That, I believe, is what Hostyle was saying.

I agree with the above statement, I just was to lazy to do so. I would also like to clarify the different skin color aspect of the debate. A prominent exception to the common distribution of physical characteristics within and among groups is skin color. Approximately 10% of the variance in skin color occurs within groups, and ~90% occurs between groups (Relethford 2002). This distribution of skin color and its geographic patterning—with people whose ancestors lived predominantly near the equator having darker skin than those with ancestors who lived predominantly in higher latitudes—indicate that this attribute has been under strong selective pressure. Darker skin appears to be strongly selected for in equatorial regions to prevent sunburn, skin cancer, the photolysis of folate, and damage to sweat glands (Sturm et al. 2001; Rees 2003). A leading hypothesis for the selection of lighter skin in higher latitudes is that it enables the body to form greater amounts of vitamin D, which helps prevent rickets (Jablonski 2004). Evidence for this includes the finding that a substantial portion of the differences of skin color between Europeans and Africans resides in a single SLC24A5, the threonine-111 allele of which was found in 98.7 to 100% among several European samples, while the alanine-111 form was found in 93 to 100% of samples of Africans, East Asians and Indigenous Americans (Lamason et al. 2005). However, the vitamin D hypothesis is not universally accepted (Aoki 2002), and lighter skin in high latitudes may correspond simply to an absence of selection for dark skin (Harding et al. 2000). Anyways, I find this last bit almost commical. "Once again, please stop being overly sensitive and hostile towards others on the subject. It only makes you out to be equal or worse of a biggot." I don't see exactly to what extent I went to, to be called a bigot (correct spelling). I simply stated you where wrong and you still have yet to bring forth any substantial evidence that says otherwise. You said there was evidence yet you gave none, mainly because there isn't any to be found. I, taking the 'lazy' way out decided to save myself the typing grief and send you to a biology professor who could answer all your questions on the spot and go into further detail about the subject then I would like to. I don't see, even remotely, where the term bigot could be justified.

O, and I "The Thrifty Gene." http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v36/n11s/full/ng1438.html

summary: In this review, we focus on the biogeographical distribution of genetic variation and address whether or not populations cluster according to the popular concept of 'race'. We show that racial classifications are inadequate descriptors of the distribution of genetic variation in our species. Although populations do cluster by broad geographic regions, which generally correspond to socially recognized races, the distribution of genetic variation is quasicontinuous in clinal patterns related to geography. The broad global pattern reflects the accumulation of genetic drift associated with a recent African origin of modern humans, followed by expansion out of Africa and across the rest of the globe. Because disease genes may be geographically restricted due to mutation, genetic drift, migration and natural selection, knowledge of individual ancestry will be important for biomedical studies. Identifiers based on race will often be insufficient.

Back
Top Bottom