Nazi related images

Naethyn

Dalayan Adventurer
What is with the trend of using nazi related images for avatars and signatures here? I've been on multiple forums where the admin are sometimes referred to as nazis, but here it seems as though some, not all, of the staff embrace and promote the idea.

Possibly it could be a long running joke? Being a general newb to the SoD forums I could have missed this, but I'm just curious if there isn't something more to it.

Personally, I find it hard to take the people who do use it seriously. Immatureish if you will. It's something I wouldn't expect from an admin.

No one here is publicly promoting the ideals of Nazism, they are just using the images. If you find My Little Pony wielding a swastika to be offensive, then I would suggest not browsing the forums, as there is stuff on here that is way worse. Just because they are admins does not mean they cannot have fun and use the avatars and sigs that they want to.

Edit: My sig may be offensive to a diabetic, but I am sure as hell not going to change it.

Joke - stemming from the general idea from certain parties who feel terribly "wronged" by the staff that we are all Nazis (you are right, its general to every forum on the internet).

Eventually the trend will pan out and it won't be funny as a joke anymore. Expect whatever you like from and admin or GM - but don't expect my person to tread lightly for fear of offending somebody out of a notion that I can't make jokes on my own forums.

Spiritplx said:
No one here is publicly promoting the ideals of Nazism, they are just using the images. If you find My Little Pony wielding a swastika to be offensive, then I would suggest not browsing the forums, as there is stuff on here that is way worse. Just because they are admins does not mean they cannot have fun and use the avatars and sigs that they want to.

Edit: My sig may be offensive to a diabetic, but I am sure as hell not going to change it.

Nothing I said had anything to do with me finding a swastika offensive. It may be true that no one is publicly promoting the ideals of Nazism, but it does not mean the trend of using the such images doesn't exist.

I simply said I found using nazi related images in such a manner is quite immature and something I wouldn't expect from an admin.

Naethyn said:
I simply said I found using nazi related images in such a manner is quite immature and something I wouldn't expect from an admin.

What would be immature about it other than the insensitivity demonstrated by using offensive Nazi symbols? Is some other aspect of admins having joke avatars immature?

A good example is any WWII video game. In that context using the nazi related images is perfectly acceptable, if not required.

I see this as something different. Board admins called nazis by disgruntled users. Board admins respond by embracing the idea of being a "board nazi". Some admins go as far as to create images showing their level of board nazism. Now it is something entirely different. The symbol is not used to represent what it really means. And with something like the nazi regime I find it to be quite immature.

I did not intend for this post to come off as "Hi. I'm a new user and I don't like the way you do things so change it." That is not my intent.

I just offer a viewpoint of someone new to this domain. I'm sure there will be many more like me to come. And I'm also sure there will be many more who will also wonder.

It's a joke, you're free to take offense but I think you should really just lighten up.

Allielyn said:
Joke - stemming from the general idea from certain parties who feel terribly "wronged" by the staff that we are all Nazis (you are right, its general to every forum on the internet).

Really doesnt need more explanation than that.

Wiz said:
It's a joke, you're free to take offense but I think you should really just lighten up.

Like I said. I don't find the image offensive. And to go further it's not like I'm going to stop browsing here because of it. I just wanted to express my viewpoint as it would seem to me other new users are likely to wonder on the same thing.

It would be a shame to see something the board admins represent expressed in an unintended way to new users.

Naethyn said:
Like I said. I don't find the image offensive. And to go further it's not like I'm going to stop browsing here because of it. I just wanted to express my viewpoint as it would seem to me other new users are likely to wonder on the same thing.

It would be a shame to see something the board admins represent expressed in an unintended way to new users.

Basically, we're not going to refrain from posting, joking and interacting with the userbase just because we may come across in some "unintended" way. That is not how we work, and I think the game is better for it. This is a harmless joke, if someone seriously has an issue with it they can take it up with me, if someone gets extremely angry over a joke and leaves, then that is too bad for them.

I understand your point but I'm pretty sure anyone that spent any time at all going through the forums and not just looking at the first avatar realizes what is going on and that it's not malicious in any way.

Sure, maybe if it is their first experience with message boards, they might find people joking around to be unwelcoming, but for the most part, people either find shit funny, or they don't.

I guess calling the admin "Nazis" won't be as cool if they embrace it like they do. Maybe we should call them "Strict Evil People". I doubt they take that as lightly.

IMHO its a pretty tasteless joke

I mean, i dont feel offended by it, and i understand the source of the joke.

one of the definitions of the word NAZI reads as follows: "Sometimes Offensive. (often lowercase) a person who is fanatically dedicated to or seeks to control a specified activity, practice, etc.: a jazz nazi who disdains other forms of music; tobacco nazis trying to ban smoking"

In Austria and Germany, wearing a swastika sign or publically displaying any nazi stuff is forbidden by law, you can and will go to jail for it. Like, posting on a public austrian forum with these avatars/sigs can get you a jail sentence. I know in Sweden, UK and a lot of other northern european countries, the Nazi Stuff has grown pretty popular, and theres a big lobby for that kind of stuff there, and i do realize its not against the law in these countries to display the symbols or worship hitler or w/e.

That being said, i wouldnt be suprised if there was people who would take offense from this, basically jewish people or people living in austria and germany.
Now dont bash me and stuff, but imo its just a very tasteless thing to do, and far from funny. I might be biased about this but yeah thats how i see it.

edit:
Now i know youre intentions arent evil, im just saying. There are a lot of people on the inernet that wont be able to follow your reasoning about this only being a joke, because theres a big difference in the mentality/body of thought (im not sure how to put this, in my poor english, maybe someone can help)

German representing (Omg we invented that shit :psyduck:).

I had to lol when I saw that Sig and I have seen WAY worse on those forums. It is some sort of sly joke about certain ex-users freaking out and it's quite amusing.

Joke is funny, joke is not tasteless and after all not offending. Thanks for your attention.

Like I said, "people can't take a joke" is not something we consider a valid reason to stop having personalities or a sense of humor. We're not terribly concerned about making sure everything we do comes across in the most bland and inoffensive fashion possible, and if people can't take a joke, tough on them.

Listen you people, I am the biggest Jew on the server (really, ask Waldoff), and I think it's hilarious.

Haven't you people ever heard of Mel Brooks?

QQ more, then grow up.

Being raised a jew whose parents fled from Poland during the holocaust (and dozens of close relatives burned at Treblinka) I can honestly say that people usingnazi imagery as jokes relating to hatred, evil and the like does not bother me.

The point of the matter is that all the jokes do is use them as an allegory for extreme evil hatred and the like - exactly what we should use such imagery as. If someone came on here promoting the imagery as just, moral etc THEN there would be a problem.

Sticking your fingers in your eyes and not wanting to see anything related to the Nazis is dangerous imo - use the imagery for what it should be used for.

And get the hell out about the whole "Its okay because it was used by the Jainists first" shit. Thats not the intent and you know it.

as an aside Llandolar is a much better Jew than I (Which aint saying much cause I am not really a Jew)

Back
Top Bottom