Necro Spells

Bonk84

Dalayan Elder
i would like some discussion on some necro spells, a good look at revamping some spells and to add in another lifetap.

First i will start with the possible revamp of the spell Enslave Death. the spell has a maximum length of 8 ticks, or 48 seconds with a recast of 5 minutes. this makes the spell almost absolutly useless. on the possible mobs a necro will use it on, most will summon once it breaks, killing the necro who doesnt get FD off in time (who is usually instantly stunned by the mobs bash) i would like to request either a tone down of the spells recast time to something of about 10 seconds, or lenghten the time the mob is charmed to say something of 30 ticks or 3 minutes.

Second, i would like to request that Gangrenous Touch of Zum'uul be upgraded. currently its just the disease form of Touch of Night as both do base damage of 720, and costs 10 more mana. it's not really an upgrade to change the source from magic to disease unless it has some -Resist modifier to it that isnt listed on the SoD spell database (otherwise just ignore this paragraph).

Third, i would also like to request that a 61+ lifetap spell be put into the game. necro's get two lifetaps at lvl 60, our Ancient: Lifebane one, and Gangrenous Touch of Zum'uul. i have seen Lifebane on many vendors so it's not a hard spell to find once you hit 60. once a necro obtains Lifebane, thats it, thats their best lifetap, at lvl 60. i view this as unfair, as lifetap is one of the necro's best line of spells as it allows the necro to heal himself. all the other casters get major upgrades to their main line of spells (Wizards get Mana free nuke, major nuke, and concussion 61+, Mage gets selection of pets, nukes, rains, and pretty good summon spells 61+, Enchanters get Rune, Curse, Mez's, Empower, ect.) the necro however, gets a mez, pet, duelDD, targetable FD, two Anti-Undead spells at 65, and upgrades to our dot lines. i have yet to see the targetable FD, and Howl of the Banshee is pratically useless except for farming low level undead zones. The mez is awesome, the duelDD is pretty nice, but the pet isnt that great of an upgrade over the 59 pet. i guess i am just asking for one or two lifetap spells 61+ that do around 1500 damage.

Short duration unresistable charms are actually reasonably common. They're intended for crowd control purposes--not for actual experience work. Enchanters get Dictate and Control, which do much the same thing. I rarely employ them, so I can't say for sure, but you could probably feign death before the charm fades to avoid punishment, or be in place to mez the mob quickly on break.

Gangrenous touch is a disease based clone of a different spell that uses a different resist? Sounds reasonable--it probably doesn't have a negative modifier, but if a mob's DR is 10 lower than the other, then it's the same as a -10 resist adjust.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just hoping to shed some light on things.

FD before charm fades doesnt work, when the mob breaks, it and the monster you were just fighting, come stright for you, or makes you come to them =/

but i do see now how charm is used as a CC. i will assume that enslave death is a CC charm.

Gangrenous touch is a disease based clone of a different spell that uses a different resist? Sounds reasonable--it probably doesn't have a negative modifier, but if a mob's DR is 10 lower than the other, then it's the same as a -10 resist adjust.

I don't know if normal lifetaps have an 'actual' resist modifier, or if it's just coincidence, but normal, magic based lifetap spells have a supremely small chance to be resisted. Necros can routinely cast lifetaps on deep red mobs without problem. So a mob with 100 magic resist or 50 disease resist is, unless the disease based version shares this property, most likely going to resist the disease version more then the magic version.

Further, the disease lifetap is actually worse then the previous magic one (the mana cost is, as stated, 10 more). Why? Why not make it, say, 10 less, if not more? Or, why not put it at level 63-65, make it do another 500 damage, and cost a bit more mana? Unless there's some mobs that I'm not aware of later in the game that're xp-group-callibre, that're common enough to warrent memming a spell specifically for, and that're immune to magic but weak against disease... I fail to see the point. Disease is, in general, resisted far more then magic anyway (far more!), so... well, it's been said. I digress.

Enslave is not unresistable, it actually gets resisted a ton. I can't see it as a form of CC because once it breaks you will most likely die. It'd be cool if we could FD while a mob is charmed but no, for some reason they see right through it.

Never used Zum'Uul myself. Magic lifetaps have a -MR component which is good enough for me.

We do lack on useful spells 60+ and the couple that I want I've never found, irregardless of how expensive they would be.. but I've been saying this from the beginning of time and apparently it's not a problem.

Gangerous Touch, as I take it, is just another lifetap with a different resist check that is around for that sole purpose - if a mob is MR but not DR you can thus lifetap it with Gangerous Touch. It's just very rare to need it a disease check Lifetap.

I agree that a lifetap should be put in the 61+ game, but not to make a new one. Just move Lifebane up a couple levels, hell maybe move to 65 and add about 150-250 damage, increase mana by 65 and decrease casting time to 4.6 seconds.

I don't know why everyone is suggesting adding 500+ damage to the spell. Yeah I think it would be cool to do 1350 base damage lifetap but that would be somewhat unbalanced taking specialization and focus effects into account. A necromancer naturally has low HP and even I am uncomfortable with giving a necro the power to perform a 50%+ heal that also damages a mob. That's more of a 4-edged sword rather than the double-edged sword a lifetap is supposed to be.

irregardless
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: shit, knickah, it's the word police!

NOT A WORD STOP USING THIS BASTARDIZATION OF IMMATERIAL AND REGARDLESS

Anyway, Enslave Death IS irresistible, so sayeth the spell file. So yeah, crowd control.

Siquros said:
Enslave is not unresistable, it actually gets resisted a ton. I can't see it as a form of CC because once it breaks you will most likely die. It'd be cool if we could FD while a mob is charmed but no, for some reason they see right through it.

I'm betting its charm break -> add aggro to necro without checking if necro is fd -> old mob necro had fiegned off gets assist aggro but don't hold me to that, it's just a guess.

And if Enslave Death is resistable, you'd better let it know, because it sure seems to think it checks at a -1000 resist mod.

rab said:
irregardless
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: shit, knickah, it's the word police!

NOT A WORD STOP USING THIS BASTARDIZATION OF IMMATERIAL AND REGARDLESS

From Dictionary.com

irregardless

adv : regardless; a combination of irrespective and regardless sometimes used humorously

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

My personal favorite definition:

irregardless

adv : A total lack of disregard.

Thanks to people like that it became a "word"" in non-standard use. If you look at it literally, the roots from which it came, it means "not without regard" or "with regard" which makes the word entirely redundant. It's like saying a two-wheeled bicycle.

Say it in a job interview or in formal writing if you want to argue that it's a word. If you don't, then relegate to things like "sup fewl hru 2day."

ARGH OFF TOPIC SORRY. Let's not talk about this again. I apologize for bringing it up in the first place. Words are fluid and can change.

Back
Top Bottom