Newer Adepts and their Difficulty

Ceto

Dalayan Adventurer
So, I saw a group forming for a level 36 adept, Harahon the Rotten One, and I had my level 32 rogue sitting around with some decent twink gear, so I thought I'd come help kill it.

I get there, and the first thing I'm told is that I'm going to have to sit out for rots as the adept will oneshot me and then spawn an add on my death. Keep in mind, I said my character was somewhat twinked. No empty slots except charm, no garbage pieces like plain cloth/leather/chain. All real decent gear. Here is the character.

https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=Rofl

Upon taking a look at the wiki page of the adept, it apparently devastating blows random people for 1.8k and summons an add to help him upon death of any character. I understand that some adepts are made harder than others, but I strongly feel this is going wayyyyy overboard. I remember the days when you could bring underlevelled characters with a couple of empty slots and only a few half-decent pieces of gear into the 55 adepts, Nalia, Traek, Pounders, and be just fine and able to help out with the kill. You could have a full raid of twelve people with a normal amount of gear and still take these adepts down, but the adept in question will just oneshot you

Apparently, this adept is balanced around "12 balanced chars that have been farming all the adepts before it". And while it may be true that a character who has every fully levelled best-in-slot item for the level off of the previous lower-levelled adepts may well have over 1.8k health, this is really unfair. In theory, this mob could even oneshot a level 65 character with a full set of gear. This rogue who I actually threw twink gear onto is apparently REALLY far off from being able to survive that devastating blow. I don't really understand how/why such an adept was created that you can't even participate in without constant grueling farming of previous adepts, but I find it pretty aggrevating that my rogue is being dumpstered because of an adept designed to crush anyone who's not insanely twinked or has fully maxed adept gear. Just because some guy (I'm looking at you, Grinkles, even though I appreciate your effort) decided to make a bunch of twinked characters in order to ease the difficulty of adepts doesn't mean that new adepts should be balanced/created around the gear of these characters, because without spending either 10k plat in twink gear or weeks of farming adepts on an alt, these adepts are just short of unkillable.

tl;dr, new adepts (namely this one http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Harahon,_the_Rotten_One) are balanced around twinks, please make them easier for normal people

I'm like 99% sure any adept past the undead guy at 32 was never properly tested and I'm not sure they were touched since they were put in. Supreme stopped making them after the guild blew up due to boredom at chaos queen and we never got around to killing the higher level ones past like two pulls of the mole guy where it exploded a level 30 or 32 tank. Supreme was basically balancing them around 10-12 potentially boxed adept geared (untwinked otherwise) characters with a slight emphasis on difficulty due to how much of a joke previous adepts tended to be. If they need to be adjusted you should probably try to get a dev to watch next time (most likely Rymy) or get some non-twinked nerds together and fight it.

Sure sounds like a supreme mob though!

If you bring 12 toons like it is balanced and designed for it's not bad, even if people die there are enough people left to dps/cc the adds. If you're going to 6man it, they have to be pretty amazing toons and on level and there is no room for error. You could kill 3-4 easier on level adepts for a few drops and lvl 4 lvls and have the HP to do this fight without a problem, no weeks of farming needed. You can be under leveled or under geared but not both. Most people bothering to do adepts are farming all the gear from the ones before them, if they were not balanced around this they would stay solo/boxable jokes that drop junk loot, you will notice all the easy adepts drop much worse gear.

Considering every single adept sub 32 is killable with 2 people boxing I'm not sad to run into harder ones that at least take a full group like Abom and Harahon do. This adept just has 2 mechanics that combine to make under leveled toons unable to be on his agro table without risking a wipe. Many adepts murder the lower lvl toons in the raid, you just rez them after, this particular one happens to punish you for deaths and w/o an enc its hard to deal with the adds.

I mean even if you look at some of the lower level melee toons used for adepts like https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=Bamkun, that are in pure adept gear, it shows you where you stand comparativly in the adept world. Not to mention your idea of twink gear is... not okay. 70% of the gear on that toon could be farmed by him solo i think....

Last edited:
It's definitely nice to have a set of harder adepts, requiring more than just two people auto attacking, that give really good rewards that can help you actually progress easier in the game. The older loot was extremely underwhelming, and not to mention their respawn timers used to be astronomically larger than what they are today. You can honestly re-roll an adept toon and get it every item of gear you wanted from the adepts 1-30 in about 3-4 days if you really wanted to. It's not a huge undertaking, and yes it probably is required to be able to do some of these mobs. Your toon is 4 levels lower than the max engage on Harahon with, no offense, really shaky gear. You talk about spending 10k in twink items to kill this stuff but I can confidently say that rogue can vendor all of his stuff for maybe 1k plat.

Upon taking a look at the wiki page of the adept, it apparently devastating blows random people for 1.8k and summons an add to help him upon death of any character.
The wiki article is incorrect. Harahon would not have killed you with one of his DBs. Next time someone tells you to sit it out, fight for your right to... uh, fight!

(It should be pretty obvious how Harahon's gimmick works if you watch HP bars during the fight. I helped some people kill him a week or so ago and both of my characters had well under 1800 HP when fully buffed.)

The wiki article is incorrect. Harahon would not have killed you with one of his DBs. Next time someone tells you to sit it out, fight for your right to... uh, fight!

(It should be pretty obvious how Harahon's gimmick works if you watch HP bars during the fight. I helped some people kill him a week or so ago and both of my characters had well under 1800 HP when fully buffed.)

As far as I know that is exactly how this fight works. Are you implying the DB hits for a % of max hp? This is not true/bugged cause I've seen it 1 shot people at full hp. It also isn't likely to hit for a % unless it has a max dmg cap because my clr sits at over 2500hp for this fight and never goes near 20% from eating a DB so I never worry about getting agro however lower hp toons we bring often eat the DB which takes them sub 20% and they gain agro and die.

If you had toons with sub ~1.5k hp then they didn't die only because they didn't get hit by a DB, when you bring more than 6 people you can get away with things like this, if we are trying a 6man you can fight me all you want but im not going to invite someone who will wipe us every try with bad luck :(

Are you implying the DB hits for a % of max hp? This is not true/bugged cause I've seen it 1 shot people at full hp. It also isn't likely to hit for a % unless it has a max dmg cap because my clr sits at over 2500hp for this fight and never goes near 20% from eating a DB so I never worry about getting agro however lower hp toons we bring often eat the DB which takes them sub 20% and they gain agro and die.

If you had toons with sub ~1.5k hp then they didn't die only because they didn't get hit by a DB, when you bring more than 6 people you can get away with things like this, if we are trying a 6man you can fight me all you want but im not going to invite someone who will wipe us every try with bad luck :(
I just tested the mob's mechanic at a very wide range of levels. It's working as intended, as far as I can tell, and what I posted earlier holds up.

I happened to parse the fight I mentioned, and while Harahon did wallop characters like Impakt for 1840 and Hexre for 1828, his DB hit Grintrad for only 1232 and Grincyen for 1344. If you've been turning players away from this fight based on a Fomelo litmus test, it looks like you've been doing so unnecessarily. :(

View attachment 290

maybe if you're wearing a full set of negative hp or negative stam gear but I'm really not seeing how that one is gonna happen.

https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=Anyadia

your idea of twink gear is... not okay. 70% of the gear on that toon could be farmed by him solo i think....
You talk about spending 10k in twink items to kill this stuff but I can confidently say that rogue can vendor all of his stuff for maybe 1k plat.

I wasn't saying "My rogue has the best gear money can buy, wtf". I was saying that you shouldn't NEED the best gear money can buy and/or hours of farming previous adepts, just to even partake/assist in an adept engage.

Last edited:
I just tested the mob's mechanic at a very wide range of levels. It's working as intended, as far as I can tell, and what I posted earlier holds up.

I happened to parse the fight I mentioned, and while Harahon did wallop characters like Impakt for 1840 and Hexre for 1828, his DB hit Grintrad for only 1232 and Grincyen for 1344. If you've been turning players away from this fight based on a Fomelo litmus test, it looks like you've been doing so unnecessarily. :(

Hmm just tested him myself a bit. It hits for roughly 80% hp, 78-80%, so looks like ac or something can reduce it a bit? Clr didn't get low hp agro 4/5 times I just took a DB, maybe lower ac toons are more likely to take the full 80 and get low hp agro? Still recall our first attempts at him I had my lvl 32 wiz in and got 1 shot at range by the DB at least 2x, based off those deaths we assumed it was a flat hit but honestly even if you live through the DB if you get low hp agro and die instantly its pretty much the same result, add + wipe. This was the first time we ever turned someone away from the fight but I really don't think he would live, a 35rog in adept gear died on some attempts after DB+low hp agro and he would have had a few hundred more hp left after BD than the nonadept geared lvl 32, not to mention ac/dodge/lvl etc /shrug

Did a last run with unbuffed clr only 1867hp, first DB got me low hp agro and I died before I could heal. Hp kinda matters on this fight.

It is possible to 6man it, did it back when Yokai and Driah used to play (rip) got to be on the ball heal wise due to the DB's, you get a little warning beforehand so pay attention. we had 2 clerics, 1 druid, 1 war, 1 monk and 1 pally though.

I have "taken over" Fuwok's adept mobs so if there's any balancing that needs to be done, Grinkles will let me know. Adept difficulty isn't my specialty.

For reference we tried pretty much all of them with the smallest groups possible and this is what we managed:
Gozz: 3
Vakk: 4
Crate: 4
Abom: 6
Miner: 8(think could be done with 6 but you would need a lucky run)
Hara: 6(lvl 35 toons)
Cyclonus: 8(our first kill and with lvl 35s, think we can 6 it on lvl)

Now I'm curious if Rymy's are going to be a breeze or hellishly hard haha

I was able to box my warrior with the Draist clerics at gozz and vakk, but required using ds/regen/haste/heal pots for both as well as resist gear and resist pots for vakk. That last mob on the crate is too big to box though.

Back
Top Bottom