Paladins in Zero demand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandrious

Dalayan Beginner
Ive noticed that no endgame guilds want paladins, I do random who all paladin checks constantly, and either its a very low pop class or alot of em are Anon all the time.

Should I even bother leveling Pally up to 65 and earn AAs? Its the only class I ever play in all the mmos ive played in, first starting with EQLive of course.

Paladins seem to have no end-game role, sad though that may be. Play one if you wish, but don't expect your class to outweight your personality if you need a guild. If you're a nice guy and capable, I can't see a guild turning you away, but likewise don't expect to be pulled left and right wanting your paladin skills.

Alexandrious said:
Ive noticed that no endgame guilds want paladins, I do random who all paladin checks constantly, and either its a very low pop class or alot of em are Anon all the time.

Should I even bother leveling Pally up to 65 and earn AAs? Its the only class I ever play in all the mmos ive played in, first starting with EQLive of course.

Y0ur 0nly use is t0 l0g on to Pinky heart my sexy ass then log off !

To be honnest , Paladin is a cool class , play it for your own enjoy

Paladins are the middle child of SoD, no purpose or place right now. I will be bringing this up, tonight.

I was somewhat aware of my "not bieng needed" so for my own enjoyment i rolled a Gnome Paladin. Best gaming experience ive had thus far, its a constant uphill battle and i love it.

Alexandrious said:

<3 Paladins

We'd love to have a High Elf Paladin :v:

Charm resistance can come in handy at certain times.

Paladins are basically SKs who are needed even less, which is rough on the poor white knights.

paladins can pad heal and res.. and sss... bout all i really see helpful.. and their pad healing is not top notch=/

IF... big if... they know what they are doing. I am sure the high enders do, but the current crop of 20-60 plays "warrior with heal spells"... they never stun or blind, and their best chance of getting aggro is when they are sitting, waiting on the pull. Their aggro lasts about until they stand up.

Hey if you somehow find SSS youre useful as a 1-buff bot.

Well, as much as everyone talks about the end raid game, we all forget the end exp game. After all, once you get 65, you aren't getting much AAs on your raids (except maybe in prison :/).

Since a raid usually only needs one main tank and perhaps 1-2 offtanks for a 36 man group, that's basically saying that for those 6 exp groups that might go off afterwards (assuming everybody stayed on) half of them wouldn't have tanks! And beleive it or not, at 65, Monks and Bards and Rangers don't make decent tanks unless you're killing stuff that's really easy (and subsequently gives little exp).

So: all of the active raiding guilds already have a main tank, and usually 1-2 offtanks; if you wanted to roll up a paladin, no you wouldn't be in demand. However, if you play your class well, you will be in demand for exp groups. (And if you bot a healer, then you can always start your own!) And once you get 100+ AAs under your belt, who knows? Maybe you can start being one of those offtanks.

Just my 2cp, from what I've seen in the end game.

moghedancarns said:
IF... big if... they know what they are doing. I am sure the high enders do, but the current crop of 20-60 plays "warrior with heal spells"... they never stun or blind, and their best chance of getting aggro is when they are sitting, waiting on the pull. Their aggro lasts about until they stand up.

Paladin agro is greater than a warriors, and a well geared paladin can be used to tank any of the "Knight only" mobs in the mid-high end raid game. A shadowknight will do it better, because they are masters of agro. And as onos stated, SSS is useful on any raid. That said, no, there isnt much demand for either knight class in the high end. You will only need 1 of each in your raid force.

Edit: Rangers and Monks and Rogues can tank just fine with the right AAs/Gear.

Don't be discouraged by the current lack of need for paladins/tanks of the guild you're looking at. By the time you'll meet their eligibility requirements, perhaps half of their tanks will have quit (yes, people get bored) and they'll need you. Or perhaps by that time you're made so many friends wearing that guild tag that they won't care if you're playing an enchanter or a paladin.
I don't have experience with the high level (60-65) game in SoD but in EQ-live I'd always take a paladin over a warrior for my group (assuming I knew neither of them).

Just play the class you're attracted to, enjoy your time on-line, make friends and you'll see that, in time, any guild's doors will be open to you. Assuming you want to put enough of your life in an on-line game :)

Mythryn said:
Edit: Rangers and Monks and Rogues can tank just fine with the right AAs/Gear.

Well yes, Onos can tank the trash in eldenals, but I wouldn't do Castle with him tanking. And the trash sucks for XP, btw. Am I wrong?

Or are you referring to like, Zhak tanking stuff? Because I'm kind of talking about 65 -> 65 w/100AAs, not really talking about more.

I'm just saying, when I look for a guild exp group, 90% of the time, the tank in our group has to be botted by someone (not talking about an alt, here). Would be nice to have actual tanks playing.

moghedancarns said:

That's not a problem with the class, though.

Allielyn said:
Since a raid usually only needs one main tank and perhaps 1-2 offtanks for a 36 man group, that's basically saying that for those 6 exp groups that might go off afterwards (assuming everybody stayed on) half of them wouldn't have tanks! And beleive it or not, at 65, Monks and Bards and Rangers don't make decent tanks unless you're killing stuff that's really easy (and subsequently gives little exp).

True, but just because paladins can function as their basic role doesn't make 'em balanced.

Shouldn't this be moved to sug/req or BD?

edit:

Allielyn said:
Well, as much as everyone talks about the end raid game, we all forget the end exp game. After all, once you get 65, you aren't getting much AAs on your raids (except maybe in prison :/)

This is extremely true. 99.9% of the things I post in sug/req about are for the level 65 non-raid game, and it gets real lonesome. Just because we spend a lot of time raiding doesn't mean everyone else should get left out in the cold.

I think it should be looked at at any rate. Knights need a little something extra. Maybe more knight only encounters ;)

honestly no hybrids and mages were ever needed endgame aside from buffs, but they espcially sucked back in the day with the exp penalties and nerfed mana pools no unuiqe buffs ect. They have come along way. If you want to be useful play a useful class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom