Progress report !?

Ulandx

Dalayan Elder
" fix chest-slot proc rates"
No,Carved Bone mail and Black metal robe not proccing at all.
"Groups"
Still buggy like hell,I guess groups are not that important in a multi player game.
"Chat filters"
Nothing changed,they are simply not working,even worse a lot of spell landing
messages are not shown at all but unimportant foci message are,even for non caster classes.

Here some other stuff I noticed:

Players not visible (needs relog)
Player hitpoints calculations wrong
Bounty vendors dont have item descriptions anymore
Mobs aggro from Land when you fight in water (Siren's,Crystal Caverns)
Knockbacks put you under the world (East Badlands) or turn you a bit (CC orc wizards)
Emberflow unplayable,20 seconds lag
Tomes not credited
Items not binding permanently
Alt F4 + sleep button blocked,wth,seriously??
Even logging *out* takes time now

But ...
The real killers are the ultra long loading times compared to "old" SoD paired with crashing
a lot.Lately I even got a blue screen of death(thought that was a Win98 thing)warning me that my hardware may be damaged if I dont take steps to solve the problem.Also there must be some
memory leak or what ever.2.5 slows my entire computer down,occasionlly letting the harddisk
go mad,which forces me to reboot every time I *tried* to play,before 2.5 I almost exclusivly
used standby to turn the computer off for weeks/months,windows caching amazingly much in
"only" 4GByte ram.
Note that all these tecnical issues dont occure on live(although my playtime there is very limitied I admit).

Why the game was released in that state is beyond me,if there wasnt a constant stream from
curious newbies seeing SoD on the EQEmu server list the average population would have been
halved,lots of long time players stopped playing.

Hey,I know its your game and its free and you can do w/e you like,but I always was under the impression you wanted a (even) better game and more players,but instead of doing the obvious and learn from P99
why it has 1k players(no boxing,slow xp gain) you brought something upon us which I wouldnt even
call pre alpha.
With the frequency bugs get (not) fixed it would take centuries to make it as stable and fast as "old" Sod.

Over the years you did amazing things with the old client,even things that were viewed as impossible
like spellsets or autofire,even implementing a new game system with bounties.
Why was all that work trashed in favor of a buggy,unstable and slow "new" client?
Furthermore,is it really asked too much to get a response to a really simple question what game
version is better for 2.5 ,Titanium or current live one ?

Win98 thing
Not sure if I'm more amazed that SoD even starts up in Windows 98 or that you blame a Windows 98 blue screen on SoD or that people still run Windows 98.

Anyways, I think Titanium is the preferred client. Working theory is that the current live client might have to do with the invisible bug but haven't confirmed it.

I will agree with you that more visibility into what's being fixed/being fixed would be neat.

Skyz has the invis problem and is on Comcast? I had the zoning problem with 2.0 and Comcast, but I'm on a different ISP now. Has anyone tested to see if VPN fixes the invis issue like it did the zoning issue before? Just curious if related.

Can't release a game without bugs when it was like pulling teeth to get folks to beta test.

The differences between 2.5 in January and the status quo are immense. If folks don't see that, they need to log in more. Getting frustrated due to differences and making rage posts isn't productive. Actively /bugging things and, to your credit, creating community dialogue regarding content issues is productive.

A lot of the current bugs seem to orbit around group / raid issues. For example, split doesn't work (sometimes) due to group being broken.
On the flip side, a recent fix causes groups to no longer destroy / bug when original leader leaves. Also, /makeleader [Player Name] is now functional.

Understanding how to work within group code limitations takes time, but works wonders. Come on one of my pugs, it will be well demonstrated.

There have been a lot of fixes and improvements in a relatively small period of time, and we as a population should acknowledge and appreciate that.
Yes, there is a ways to go. In fact, staff have publicly acknowledged that it will take over a year to get back to where 2.0 was in lieu of the new client needs.

That being said, the game is very playable currently. I just started / finished the entire vah quest on a char that was created post 2.5

Side note: win 98 huh? I agree w/ Pecannius.

At least some of the issues you've listed are problems on your end. Did you ever upgrade from XP to something more modern? You should do a post in the tech support forum with your computer specs so we could help troubleshoot things.

" fix chest-slot proc rates"
No,Carved Bone mail and Black metal robe not proccing at all.
This was referring to spell reactives - which were indeed fixed. Those melee reactives are a separate bug - and first I've heard of them not working.

"Groups"
Still buggy like hell,I guess groups are not that important in a multi player game.
Groups still need work. Snide comment not helping.

"Chat filters"
Nothing changed,they are simply not working,even worse a lot of spell landing
messages are not shown at all but unimportant foci message are,even for non caster classes.
So when I read that "Progress Report" I got the message of --- "Here's what we're working on" --- not, here's what we've fixed.

That said, yeah, super annoying and hope they figure it out soon.

Players not visible (needs relog)
Seems to be unique to certain players -- maybe an isp problem -- if you have the afflicted player in zone before everyone else / relog / or zone back in they become visible.

Player hitpoints calculations wrong
You do realize you're complaining about having more hp, right? Here's another bug in the players favor: everything sells to vendors for ~13% higher than before (though buying stuff from vendors varies on faction now too).

Bounty vendors dont have item descriptions anymore
Growing pains of recoding the bounty system. Annoying, but in your power to manage --- we have item descriptions on the wiki (which you had to use to look up bounty food/pet weapons in 2.0 anyway).

Mobs aggro from Land when you fight in water (Siren's,Crystal Caverns)
Once you realize water doesn't block aggro sight lines and adjust your behavior accordingly this is a relatively minor inconvenience. Again annoying, but within your power to manage.

Knockbacks put you under the world (East Badlands) or turn you a bit (CC orc wizards)
I agree the shadowstep + true north version of KB is annoying. However, if you want to avoid getting thrown through walls/under world don't be moving when KB effect goes off (as far as I can tell its some kind of lag between the shadowstep and your client movement that ends up dropping people through things).

Emberflow unplayable,20 seconds lag
A handful of people have had this issue -- if only there were a tech support post with details so we could maybe troubleshoot what the issue is...

Tomes not credited
Haven't heard about this issue for a while now -- are you still having issues exp'ing tomes? Or just sore about not having the logs to prove tome exp?

Items not binding permanently
Yep annoying. Makes me think ahead and pre-bind any clickies I need to swap.

Alt F4 + sleep button blocked,wth,seriously??
This is part of the live client too iirc. Just use /exit

Even logging *out* takes time now
This has actually gotten faster for me. Please see the comment at the top of my post.

The real killers are the ultra long loading times compared to "old" SoD paired with crashing
a lot.Lately I even got a blue screen of death(thought that was a Win98 thing)warning me that my hardware may be damaged if I dont take steps to solve the problem.Also there must be some
memory leak or what ever.2.5 slows my entire computer down,occasionlly letting the harddisk
go mad,which forces me to reboot every time I *tried* to play,before 2.5 I almost exclusivly
used standby to turn the computer off for weeks/months,windows caching amazingly much in
"only" 4GByte ram.
Note that all these tecnical issues dont occure on live(although my playtime there is very limitied I admit).
See comment at top of the post.

Why the game was released in that state is beyond me,if there wasnt a constant stream from
curious newbies seeing SoD on the EQEmu server list the average population would have been
halved,lots of long time players stopped playing.
I wonder if there is the dataset for SoD population anywhere, I always liked things like this and this in terms of getting a better sense of who all is actually playing.

Hey,I know its your game and its free and you can do w/e you like,but I always was under the impression you wanted a (even) better game and more players,but instead of doing the obvious and learn from P99
why it has 1k players(no boxing,slow xp gain) you brought something upon us which I wouldnt even
call pre alpha.
I'd actually call it open beta, and pretty close to a stable release especially once they lock down the group/raid and filtering issues.

With the frequency bugs get (not) fixed it would take centuries to make it as stable and fast as "old" Sod.
I guess you're just ignoring all the bug fixes that have happened in the past 3 months?

Over the years you did amazing things with the old client,even things that were viewed as impossible
like spellsets or autofire,even implementing a new game system with bounties.
Why was all that work trashed in favor of a buggy,unstable and slow "new" client?
That work wasn't trashed --- its pretty much still there, and hopefully new amazing things can be done with the new client.

Furthermore,is it really asked too much to get a response to a really simple question what game
version is better for 2.5 ,Titanium or current live one ?
Titanium seems to be as far as I can tell -- tbh its pretty amazing that it works fairly well with the multiple client sources.

Not sure if I'm more amazed that SoD even starts up in Windows 98 or that you blame a Windows 98 blue screen on SoD or that people still run Windows 98.

I don't think he is using Win98, I think it was a joke about how BSD shouldn't happen anymore. To my knowledge Win98 max ram usage is 512, and he said specifically that he has 4gig of ram. I honestly don't think it would be possible for even an expert user to run modern programs on Win98. Maybe an elite user who builds their own drivers and communications protocols....

Yea reading back on his original post, I most likely misinterpreted that.
But still, working with large scale a lot applications in Windows 10, the only time that I've ever seen a blue screen was a hardware issue. I seriously doubt SoD had anything remotely to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom