Project: New SOD Client

Discussion in 'Player Assisted Development' started by Builder Anubis, Jun 10, 2019.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Dalayan Adventurer

How about changing item/armor/weapon boxes? I loved the old ones. It felt like I was wearing a thing. Now it feels like I'm wearing a very poorly designed, hard to read spreadsheet.

I'm sure it's difficult to change, more likely impossible. And I don't know what the regulars think, just a thought.

Builder Anubis and donfolstar3 like this.
  2. Daneries-Auzrial

Daneries-Auzrial Dalayan Beginner

Im loving the new Test Client / Quick-Swap. Ive never had FPS like this and i am now zoning 2-3x faster. This definitely will help with the boxing issues ive had before, thank you.

Builder Anubis and ynnear like this.
  3. Builder Anubis

Builder Anubis Dalayan Beginner

I am Glad I was able to assist you. Feel free to leave feedback how things feel for you from patch to patch. Thanks again.

marshak likes this.
  4. ynnear

ynnear Dalayan Elder

5. Builder Anubis

can you show me an example of what you mean?

6. marshak

marshak Dalayan Beginner

Have been using the client for a bit over a week now on my laptop... I never had any significant gameplay issues and <100 ping times so didn't have any complaints with the original client. With that said, there has been a noticeable decrease in load time and zone time. Only issue I've run across so far is that on the occasion using right mouse click to interact with an object won't work, or is delayed (vendor, corpse, items in inventory, trade window). I haven't been able to consistently replicate this, or notice any ping spikes when it happens.

Builder Anubis likes this.
  7. marshak

marshak Dalayan Beginner

A month in of use and hardly any issues and noticeable improvements... I think it’s worth expanding the testing pool. Maybe combine with a test server if possible?

8. Builder Anubis

the intended client, has access to a greater array of weapons models as well as new armor, some like it some dont, you able to click it on and off with a simple button without zoning!

9. Wollywack

Wollywack Dalayan Beginner

I thought they were talking about item info boxes/stat blocks rather than the models.

10. Builder Anubis

that can be done by our amazing UI editors

Wollywack likes this.
  11. duncandun

duncandun Dalayan Adventurer

would it be possible to get in on this and test it out?

12. Builder Anubis

Waiting on a response from another team
    Member so we can move forward. They are critical for this part of the project.

In the mean time I have done some work on the current client as a short term solution few members that have reached out to me directly have expressed their feedback on that here on this thread. If you would like it feel free to reach out to me. I just ask that you report your experiences here. And of course follow all server rules at the same time.

marshak likes this.
  13. duncandun

oh, one question about the new client. Is it possible to have an option to click through yourself or group members? it's such a pain to mouse target stuff sometimes.

14. Builder Anubis

The new client has an option to click through pets, as well as group members. Have not extended this to raid members (yet).

15. duncandun

godlike

16. Cadmus

Cadmus Dalayan Beginner

As a longtime sporadic SoD player, I was somewhat disappointed with the performance from the 2.5 client. I ran into issues with frames being skipped after swapping window priority that weren't remedied by any of the usual EQEmu treatments. The world that the SoD team has built is fantastic and far exceeds anything that I've experienced on a custom server. The 2.5 issues presented a minor wrinkle into an otherwise great experience.

Builder Anubis's client changed this. I no longer experience frame skipping, the animations look crisp. The tint issues from 2.5 are also gone. The click-through feature and mouse targeting while casting is awesome and makes you forget that you're playing a game from two decades ago. Also, more importantly, it removes a major bar that I'd consistently run into over the years. I love SoD and love sharing it with friends that have never experienced it, but any attempts to bring new players over were always couched in a list of warnings re: the outdated client and its various eccentricities.

Keep up the great work!

17. lemonhead

lemonhead Dalayan Adventurer

Oh man! That is so awesome. So, it's sorta like windows 8 could look like a dumb phone for the kids...or like windows 98se as it should be? I'm so excited for this. Nice work.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  18. Builder Anubis

There has been a lot of positive feedback on the client changes, few more testers would help out a lot. if you are interested send me a message and we can get you started.

marshak likes this.