Proposed Monk Changes

Well if it's 3 moves to trigger a combo it'll usually be better than 18 seconds because you can hit your first one instantly on engage, then second one ~6 seconds in and third ~12 seconds in. I agree that it will have to be a pretty substantial buff though. It would also be nice to get the Force of Body tomes changed to something relevant while we're at it.

Well if it's 3 moves to trigger a combo it'll usually be better than 18 seconds because you can hit your first one instantly on engage, then second one ~6 seconds in and third ~12 seconds in. I agree that it will have to be a pretty substantial buff though. It would also be nice to get the Force of Body tomes changed to something relevant while we're at it.

while I was testing the combos I found out that haste directly affects the refresh timer on the abilities, so at least combo times can be upgraded with better haste.

I also agree that the Force of Body tomes should change in some way.

who's to say that monks wont get some kind of tiger claw + eagle strike = self HoT or something.

Riposte is the only form of avoidance that doesn't work against stuff behind you afaik.

Can anyone confirm this? I was always under the impression that you didn't avoid anything from behind (they could miss) unless you were in /s 6. Or am I wrong and 6 is just behind stun resist?

Yeah the wording of s6 makes me think I'm probably wrong but it'd be nice to get confirmation.

Parry, riposte, and block (includes shield block) all require the mob to be in front of you. Dodge works from front or back.

Monk style 6 (Reflexive Stance) makes all mobs count as being in front of you, the main purpose of which is to prevent being stunned while being hit in the back.

who's to say that monks wont get some kind of tiger claw + eagle strike = self HoT or something.

pretty sure someone or lots of someones don't like monk tanking ability??? this is partly to refine their role as dps + puller afaik?

anyway the longer it takes to switch over the better

and this depends on who you are.

Why is that? If our DPS gets improved to be on par with other classes you'll take less damage while tanking as a result of killing stuff faster even if we lose the avoidance bonus. I'm not supporting the loss of the avoidance but it's not like we'd suddenly be taking as much damage as a wizard or whatever. If we get a combo that boosts defensive stats or heals us or debuffs our target it could be a survivability bonus too. Personally I doubt we'd be stepping on tank toes if we maintain the avoidance bonus and also got some form of heal/utility combo except against absolutely trivial content that any class can tank. Monks take quite a bit more damage than equally geared tanks (plus we're much more susceptible to spikes because of avoidance vs mitigation) and have a much harder time holding aggro on big pulls which is the most important thing tanks do in typical exp groups.

Waldoff said on the first page:
To quell some concerns before they come up - the new combo functionality should give an actual sizable increase to both monk DPS and survivability with a non negligable increase to their utility.

What's not to like about that?

I'm not sure exactly what combos we're getting or if losing avoidance is set in stone but I don't really see any situation where the combo system is a negative change unless you refuse to use special attacks for some reason which isn't really a justifiable excuse because of how easy it is compared to just about every other class in the game.

Slaar if you're still testing/bugfixing and need another guinea pig, I'm on most evenings not really doing anything.

Last edited:
Why is that? If our DPS gets improved to be on par with other classes you'll take less damage while tanking as a result of killing stuff faster even if we lose the avoidance bonus.

Now I can discuss the rest and possibly agree with most of it, but this part is kinda silly. While you could say we have less chances to spike and die since the fight won't last quite as long, taking less damage overall is more or less just for stats. I don't care about the total damage I take nearly as much as a spike killing me due to lack of avoidance. That being said:

I'm not supporting the loss of the avoidance but it's not like we'd suddenly be taking as much damage as a wizard or whatever. If we get a combo that boosts defensive stats or heals us or debuffs our target it could be a survivability bonus too. Personally I doubt we'd be stepping on tank toes if we maintain the avoidance bonus and also got some form of heal/utility combo except against absolutely trivial content that any class can tank. Monks take quite a bit more damage than equally geared tanks (plus we're much more susceptible to spikes because of avoidance vs mitigation) and have a much harder time holding aggro on big pulls which is the most important thing tanks do in typical exp groups.
Waldoff said on the first page: (what waldo said that got knocked out with the quote)
What's not to like about that?
I'm not sure exactly what combos we're getting or if losing avoidance is set in stone but I don't really see any situation where the combo system is a negative change unless you refuse to use special attacks for some reason which isn't really a justifiable excuse because of how easy it is compared to just about every other class in the game.

The rest I pretty much agree with. In the post you quoted, I had actually typed out something to the effect of reserving judgement (judgment? neither one trips spellcheck, and I'm too lazy to look it up), but being apprehensive, and just said F it and backspaced through most of it.

(On one of the specific points about holding agro on big pulls, the /s 9 finally not working with 2hbs, after that was how I tanked for like 2 years, killed me.)

I'm not the ragequitter type, but the one, and honestly maybe the only thing that has almost always bothered me about this game, is how much time we put into it, only to suddenly in many cases, just have something nerfed or changed drastically, seemingly from our perspective out of nowhere. It's like, ok, you've paid 40k in on this vette? Ok, fyi, we're about to change it into a crossover. (yay ridiculous examples that usually ruin my point)

Something else about the combo thing... At first it bothered me the whole having to do a bunch of extra stuff, to put it simply, to get all this to work, and then Dimmi or someone pointed out the whole macro thing that pretty much destroyed that argument. Now on that note, and I think someone else kinda maybe suggested this already, but is there any huge point in making it that involved if everyone's just gonna make a macro for it all anyway? Idk, maybe there is on the coding side that I just haven't bothered thinking that hard on yet. /shrug

I doubt I'll macro the combos because if something happens partway through the fight I'd like to be able to instantly start a new combo rather than being forced to finish the one I had been doing. I suppose it depends on the person/playstyle, but I personally don't ever really run into a situation while boxing a healer where I can't take <1 second to alt tab and hit flying kick, so as long as I can remember a pretty basic rotation of attacks with the new system it shouldn't be any different.

True. I suppose I'll have to file that under the wait and see category also. I'm guessing I'll macro them and have different hotkey pages with or without the macros depending on the situation/whether-or-not I'm boxing.

I am uncertain why monks have to give up their avoidance bonus to stop being the only class limited by weight. That weight limit was an ancient piece of holdover code from live that never, ever, made any sense. Is their really that many monks running around tanking stuff, beyond in a duo?
I really like the idea of the combo abilities. Hopefully it will provide a nice boost to put monks back where they belong on the dps charts. Meaning up top with rogues, or at least just below them. You can argue that a monk has more utility, but beyond the mid-tier raid game (tiers 5-9/10?) their main utility advantage, splitting, is non-existent. Most xp groups usually AE/DS tank mobs, and early tier raids are dominated by "ringers" that rarely want/need you to split things. From the word of late game monks, there isn't much splitting going on there either (I wouldn't know, never been there, just taking what they say at face value). So, they are left with dps and wipe recovery, the same as a rogue.
Just my 2 coppers on it.

Just to be clear, there never was any holdover code from Live, not even monk weight limits. Wiz specifically designed monk weight limits on purpose here. It's just not a good idea anymore.

Monk weight limits existed on live. My best friend played a monk, and I was forced to loot our HG kills cause he couldn't afford the coin weight. When mercs became a feature on live, they were forced to eliminate coin weight because all the monks cried that they couldn't have mercs otherwise (they cost hourly, have to have the cash on you).

Monk weight limits existed on live. My best friend played a monk, and I was forced to loot our HG kills cause he couldn't afford the coin weight. When mercs became a feature on live, they were forced to eliminate coin weight because all the monks cried that they couldn't have mercs otherwise (they cost hourly, have to have the cash on you).

Uh what? Coin weight was removed way before mercs were added. At least I'm 99% sure it was.

Back
Top Bottom