Rangers level 20 style vs Defensive style

Minerios

Dalayan Adventurer
Heya,

I understand that I should use defensive style if I cannot take advantage of Parry and Riposte (say, running away screaming like a little girl while the mob hacks away at my spinal cord, or using a two handed weapon). But I was wondering if, in situations where I am dual wielding, facing the mob and in need of extra protection, I would be better of using the defensive style or the level 20 one, Blade Guard. Since Blade Guard's description states : "increasing your parry and riposte at the cost of your offhand attack", does it mean that it will get better and better as my "natural" parry and riposte skills improve? If so, at about which point does it become better than Defensive?

Thanks!

It is , if you use dual wield, way better than defensive in any case. it is the best style when you have to tank (using 2 weapons). As someone who is using solely 2hand weapons at the moment, Im not sure if it's better than a slow/high damage 2hander with defensive style tho. Would have to parse that.

Ranger Blade Guard style is your best defensive style by far. The difference between Blade Guard and using Defensive with a 2her is easily noticable. But there are downsides to it that you should be aware of:
1) You MUST be using 1h weapons
2) You WILL lose all attacks with your secondary (offhand) weapon meaning that your DPS will drop pretty dramatically
3) As a result of losing your offhand attacks, your aggro generation via melee will greatly suffer meaning you will be much more dependent upon the casting side of your nature to maintain aggro

Generally, the only way I'm able to hold aggro on a raid mob is by building up huge aggro using /s 1 and then switching to /s 4 when the mob turns on me. Hopefully, it doesn't turn on me before the MT is dead. Even more importantly is having patch healers that are on their toes and can keep me up long enough for the chain to rotate before the mob blows through my paltry HPs. LOL

Back
Top Bottom