real talk why are the elds pages so rare?

Discussion in 'SoD Discussion' started by fuwok, Nov 10, 2014.

1. fuwok

fuwok Dalayan Pious Diety

Susvain and I have farmed them for over 20 hours and still have not seen a full set! Clearing the entire zone! I want to give elds back to the newbies!

2. Dinadass

Dinadass Dalayan Pious Diety

Page 2- a castle guard (this is the dude outside the castle that drops the key). Been killed every single clear since he's a guaranteed spawn, we're talking several dozen kills at this point. No page drops.

The nameds aren't quite as bad but to still be missing two of those after 6ish kills of each named (plus however many Fuwok has done) is pretty ridiculous. My cleric got ally to Athica before I was a third of the way done with pages.

3. fuwok

I've killed that guy so many times that I don't believe he even gives the page at this point!

edit: I got 112 medals in the time that it has taken for me to get the 4? pages that I have. I still need 3. That's with all the pages claimed, sharing is for wimps.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. donfolstar3

donfolstar3 Dalayan Master

I think that it is great that ultra highend peeps are revisiting lower end content and seeing firsthand the problems (mostly grindy unfun) with it. Imagine how much worse things would suck (orders of magnitude) without having access to ultra uber op characters doing all the heavy lifting- that is the new player experience on SoD. Hopefully this thread and others like it will be a force for positive change for the lowend experience! Maybe even get some people to quit instantly dismissing valid concerns as newb "whining" because back in my day we did the grind uphill both ways to school in a lavastorm, or whatever.

darksabbath and Daffie like this.
  5. Vitali

Vitali Dalayan Master

Not really sure where you're coming from with most of that donfolstar3, because most post for a long time are about "uber high end OP characters" asking for things to be changed for the better. Nobody being called out for "whining". It's been quite sometime that I've seen a post asking for things to be flat out harder without a perk but, I digress.

As far as the pages go, I did that quest for Vitali finally after having pages in my bank for a long time (some time last year) and I agree it is an awful trudge through shit lake to get them. I didn't need medals, so I let whoever wanted them come and pick them up as long as I got the pages. Was there for literally days-week. Good 6 hour stints when I wasn't in class, and nothing. Felt like a miracle when I finished it. It's been addressed before, making spawn rates of the monsters there slightly higher. The problem with that being brand new characters may not be able to keep up with increased spawn rate.

Alternatively, make the quest drops significantly higher.

6. Daffie

Daffie Dalayan Pious Diety

This isn't just an issue with these pages... Some really brutal camps I have done with similar time sink experiences are shaman mask and the paladin self heal... I've literally spent days and days camping these things and I'm still not done.

Vitali likes this.
  7. Nebi

Nebi Dalayan Pious Diety

good items = good time sink...... the reward is there. shouldnt be able to do the entire quest in an hour or the value really isnt there.

Daffie likes this.
  8. Vitali

Vitali Dalayan Master

People ask why I made my alt a Warrior instead of a Knight. Reasons like that:

Paladin: Taratzu
    SK: Veil from Kedge
    Both: Vah Swords, Runics, DL/ Murk spells, etc....

Those things alone sound like an awful time investment. Melee characters have a much easier life.

9. Daffie

Daffie Dalayan Pious Diety

I agree there should be time spent for good items. I totally agree and there is no doubt about that. RNG is a fickle bitch sometimes, which can be fine and part of the game.

That said, I don't think that the key roadblock for earning a reward should be time spent. This is literally the case with Taratzu and these pages. Why else would these drops be so ungodly rare, or in the case of the spell not only be the rare drop off the named but also have the named/ph respawn time be TWICE that of nearly everything else in the zone? (Shaman mask is similar to this, but mostly because of the fact that some of the drops share loot tables and one of the drops comes from non-common roaming mobs... Vah is a little different imo because there are incremental rewards, I have never rolled an SK to deal with the veil, and I've not gotten the vah sword nor runics.)

I really wasn't complaining, I was pointing out that this quest is not the only quest with borked drop rates which cause stupidly large time investments.

10. burt6

burt6 Dalayan Elder

went last night and got 6 out of 8 pages in three hours. hope this helps your cause! to be fair I am the master of elds.

11. AngryCow

AngryCow Dalayan Elder

Yeah, back when I did this quest I was able to get all but maybe 3 of them in a couple clears. I had to camp the tower for my last one. I do remember feeling pretty lucky that I got the one from the castle guard tho. The quest is a bit of a pain, but I don't think your outside the bounds of the RNG yet.

12. fuwok

Today's elds update. Put in 4 or so more hours. I have now gotten 47 AAs while trying to get these pieces to drop. Still not done!

edit: I have gotten only 1 Silenna spawn in this entire time!

13. Sanyia

Sanyia Dalayan Adventurer

I agree with you that faster spawns would be bad for fresh characters. This morning I went with a guildie to CMAL 1 for bracer drops, I was boxing my latest alt, a very nondescript, standard-issue-store-bought Kirt'Sek and Very Sharp Leaf lv 60 rogue. Obviously, with a cleric, a pally, and a druid we had more heals than we knew what to do with, so we tore through the place without ever having to stop for a second. While we were at it, we reminisced: "Remember back in the day, the multiple wipes as a raid at twins sorcerers?" "Wow, yeah, that used to be tough".

We sometimes do not perceive our power, because it has increased so slowly through the years. But for a fresh 65, ill-equipped group, even Elds castle can still be risky, and come with a big rush of adrenaline.

Breigon likes this.
  14. donfolstar3

donfolstar3 Dalayan Master

I think I did not effectively say what I meant to say. Let me try again.

I think that it is great that ultra highend peeps are revisiting lower end content and seeing [again] firsthand the problems with [the fresh 65 experience specifically]. Imagine how much worse things would suck (orders of magnitude) without having access to ultra uber op characters doing all the heavy lifting- that is the new player experience on SoD. Hopefully this thread and others like it [specifically about what new players experience coming from whatever Goon is doing] will be a force for positive change for the lowend experience! Maybe even get SOME [as in not everyone, but there are some people on the forums who are old farts] people to quit instantly dismissing valid concerns [with low end content, which is addressed much less frequently than T9+ stuff or class balance] as newb "whining" because back in my day we did the grind uphill both ways to school in a lavastorm [this is me being facetious, which should have set the tone for the sentence and who is being a negative nelly], or whatever.

There, that looks sufficiently unreadable now!

Breigon, negasin, Sanyia and 2 others like this.
  15. fuwok

Good news. I put in like 3 more hours today and I've now completed the quest. 50kpp and 53aas of elds.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  16. Otcho

Otcho Dalayan Pious Diety

I spent less time getting my runic 2 than I did sitting in kedge.

Melodico likes this.