Rogue Trap woes/requests

Crynel

Dalayan Elder
im not sure if whoever oversees these is really busy or not around much but here goes

for awhile the rogue traps were working fine for the most part and things were okay, but recently the blast trap crashes the zone as soon as it is triggered before it even damages a mob (even a single pull). So basically this is a plee for someone to unbug and maybe make some of the worthless/weaker traps little more worthwhile.

below i will list effects and the damage they do for me at max set-disarm/ToP done/7% magi/6%poison/DI8/AE7

blast trap - fine for the most part but easily gets buggy and crashes zones a good fix for this would be amazing. (AOE - unknown ammount of targets - unknown damage due to crashing zones as soon as triggered)

fetter trap - this one works perfectly fine and i have no complaints with it

snare trap - again no complaints works fine

bolt trap - also works fine but does less dps overall compared to poison dart but doesnt seem resistable (DD nuke - 1716)

poisoned dart - provided the mob lasts long enough, the full course does more damage than bolt trap but can be resisted. (fire focus boosts it's damage and spell crit allows it to crit) (DOT - 15 ticks at 107 dam/215 crits)

concussion - garbage trap that doesnt seem to do anything (supposedly supposed to stun or something)

mind trap - supposedly mana drains, when used on a player does very little mana drain and perhaps needs a boost or maybe make it a mana drain dot (like parasite or drain reserves or such)

annulment trap - seems to work fine but due to cooldown of trap casting its likely you wont dispell as much as you would hope

i welcome any other rogue imput and i hope someday we get a new trap that casts faster and stronger traps.

I think the dynamic for traps needs to be changed in general. One big way to do it, which would require change to the DoT Trap, would be to make it not depop the first time it is used, but instead not depop till the mob that triggers it is dead. The DD trap would fire every so often, the root would reroot, dispell re-dispell, you get the idea. This would make it a little more useful and desirable.

I really like all the ideas presented in this thread about giving a little more utility to a class which has almost none.

Really none of these suggestions seem game breaking, and I would love a dispell trap for certains mobs in EF :D

I don't really know that I'm a huge fan of giving rogues very much utility, but a lot of the traps are kind of impractical to use consistantly considering that the DPS pay-off for using one is pretty negligable/non-existant. Pretty much every situation where using one of the traps in a utility capacity is also a moot point because there are always just better ways to get things done.

As Rein already pointed out, Blast Trap tends to crash zones, and I haven't really found a worthwhile use for it personally other than green farming (read: rounding up literally every mob in Fearstone and explodifying them all at the entrance in one shot), the DD trap doesn't do enough damage to justify using it outside of very very very specific instances, the root and snare traps are great, but extremely limited in their viability due to cooldown, the concussion trap....yeah. The mana trap did almost literally nothing every time I've been able to check. The DoT trap is the most useful because it works with the toon's focus effect, and while the damage output is the best out of the traps, it also helps with DoT weakening. The dispell trap is useful, but again due to cooldown issues, isn't viable for meaningful use (great for plopping at the tank in pofrost on golem pulls, bout it).

A direction I feel would be appropriate and possibly satisfying is to change traps to more of a debuff orientation to indirectly give a little extra DPS and make them more desireable. For example having unresistable and fully stacking -resist debuffs for each resist type, then (oh hell idk) maybe one that replicates the enchanter melee curse and one for caster curse, and one that slaps on a stacking slow component? Keeping the current cool-down or possibly even increasing it some would still seem appropriate.

I think this would make traps more appealing, and provide a hair of DPS-oriented utility to rogues, without changing their traditional role in the group/raid setting, and would allow multiple rogues on a raid to each have a useful contribution outside of just moar deeps without significantly stepping on anyone's toes or replacing any class roles.

Last edited:
i have yet to do the rogue trapping class tomes, so i do not know how much they boost trap damage as they do not state the damage increase in tome text. if possible it would be nice to see the increase ammount in each tome

Back
Top Bottom