School District Today, Violent Kids

Kids use to respect parents and yes in a way fear them. Mostly the punishment. I dont mean to say beat the child every time but if the teachers cant do a single thing. Even put a child in a corner for being out of line without getting a law suit whats the point now then?

Ever watch the movie the substitute? He put them in line with a little violence.

Get the freatking bad kids out of class even if its mine. Id rather start seeing a better society that works together then this crap.

Hey ... has anyone looked into other countries like Japan or China or Germany or Sweeden?

Whats their policies?

In my most humble opinion...This isn't fixed by a magic policy, whether it be child beating, inducing fear, whatever. If you want change, it needs to start in the community spirit in general.

Your teachers need to be more confident in their position as a provisional parent, respected and listened to. Teachers need to be backed up by parents, and the institutions within which they work. This is vital. My father taught in a school for a period of time where the standards were SO poor that you were frowned upon by your fellow teachers if you raised concerns over any issue, he was essentially left to his own devices. Student behaviour was shockingly poor, they were health hazards to themselves and others, (playing with lab gas taps, throwing chemicals & solutions around). Of course in the end you end up not teaching, but simply trying to crowd control the class for a few hours, until the period's over.

In some societies this linked relationship between teacher/student/parent has been broken, primarily by state nannyism or overt use of lawsuits, (or perhaps these are just the symptoms of an even worse trend in society?), you simply need to restore it. Give the teachers the support they need, encourage the parents to be proactive in finding solutions, (try and get them involved/interested, invite them along to monthly meetings), and the rest should slowly follow suit.

This thread makes me happy that I haven't been in a Public school in 5 years. When I was back in Public schools(4th-5th grade or so?) Cursing or violence or anything of the sort was immediate Suspension.. This of course led to many people being falsely suspended(Mylsef included) but it kept everyone in line, no matter what. Get a police officer or two in that school with some Pepper Spray or Mace or whatever it's called, and within 1 week everyone will act perfectly well, hopefully with only minor casualties. I, however, do not believe public schools could have gotten close to as bad as you people are making it seem, because every school I've been in in California(One of the worst School systems there) has been pretty well-behaved, and Parents all took severe actions. Wasn't uncommon to see people get suspended/detention and come the next day with bruises.

i'm a teacher

I've been teaching at the high school level for 3 years now. I teach history to students with reading disabilities and I have a few behavior disorder students as well. In my experience a lot of the issues in today's school are a result of parents continued lack of involvement in their child's life and the states continued disempowerment of teachers. The parents along with state and the Federal governments continue to require more qualifications, and training of teachers but they are never willing to increase salaries.... its like Target's motto "Expect more Pay less"

I see school districts that are willing to increase funding to get new gym floors, build a better building, or add more computer labs some how hoping that these increased NEW things will help students turn themselves around. It would be great to see these funds work to improve teacher salaries in an attempt to possibly gain more interest in the profession and make it a viable option for the bread winners of the family to do. Our schools could honestly use more male figures but speaking from experience being a teacher doesn't allow my family to keep warm and eat..... I find it odd that a job that seeks people that love children would provide them with such a tiny salary that would not allow them to provide for children of their own. Ok that's my last complaint on teacher pay.

Detentions, suspension etc are largely the only discipline options teachers have today and with kids that don't care to be at school these just don't work... though Saturday detentions are good provided you can get the kids to show up and if you have faculty that are willing to spend the Saturday at the school without pay. It would be a great move to see school districts attempt to change the involvement of parents by having mandatory Parent Student Seminars, that would cover school rules, expectations etc and have the school faculty on hand to meet, but how do you make parents come.... most likely the only way to do this would be to make some sort of cash incentive like reduced book fees or if their children want to go out for an extra curricular activity you might require attendance.

The community might also start working to implement parenting classes in the area and require that students with X amount of office referrals must attend these classes.

In large we need a society change, we need to get back to a society that respects education and educators... I can't tell you the amount of times I've heard ohhh your just a teacher. In many other countries teachers are greatly respected and honored but in America I don't feel this is the atmosphere. Most of the time on National News or shows like 20/20 all I see about teachers is stories about teachers abusing students, teachers having sex with students or teachers selling drugs.... as a whole it would be great to see more focus on positives than negatives.

Currently the Federal Government has their NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND legislation which SOUNDS GOOD, but in reality this plan calls for school districts to get 100% success on students on standardized test... this means even the kids that show up for 25% of the year must score proficient. This legislation is good in some aspects as it calls for accountability of the teachers, principals, school district but it doesn't mention parents at all in the equation, and maybe its just me but it doesn't make sense to expect such a miracle and include no additional compensation for success.

Well thats my thoughts... Can't really offer a solution but hopefully the country as a whole will begin to recognize this problem and work to correct it.

Back
Top Bottom