some people say that if you think about it like this, it makes sense:

1/3 = .3333...
+
1/3 = .3333...
+
1/3 = .3333...

=

1 = .9999....

but that doesn't work because 1/3 cannot be represented as a real, non repeating number. 1/3 represents a concept, but the .3333... doesnt, its just a flaw in the way we convert fractions into numbers

1= 1

.999 = .999

1 = .999

Confirmation is tough considering to say the least they look different.

Also Zorlaft you should smile more

oh look words written by someone else that backs my arguement up and discredits yours owned

it's a notation problem. people can't understand that .9... (repeating or bar or whatever u want to call it) is the same as writing the number 1.

what do you mean notation problem? i mean that the bar (-) above the nine (9), or the elipsis (...) after the nine is a mathematical operator, just like the division (/) or factorial (!) operator.

People understand that 1/3 can also be written as a never-ending series of 3s after a decimal because they understand that 1/3 means you have to perform an operation on the numbers 1 and 3.

Similarly, some operators only take a single input !4 means that you use the number 4 as the input for the factorial operator. Which gives !4 the numerical meaning of 24. (1 x 2 x 3 x4 = 24)

What confuses people is that the bar (-) above a decimal or the elipsis (...) after the decimal is an operator that takes one input. In the case of 0.9... the one input is the 9 and the operator is telling you to repeat the nine indefinitely. There is a slight difference here, in that the operators here are more lexigraphical operators than mathematic ones. The elipsis or the bar don't tell you to perform a mathematical operation, they are simply a short-hand to tell you that the rest of the number is implied but has not been written.

The good news is, that .9... is not the result of some measurement, but rather an abstract idea, so it's not going to cause us too much real-world trouble. But if people were to take some finite measurement of .9999999999999999999999999999999999999 no matter how many nines there were, as long as the list is finite, .99999 will never be equal to one.

If you honestly cannot understand the concept, then you can learn about how limits work. That should clear things up a bit for you.

Lacey_Lightfoot said:
prove to me, using limits, that .99999... = 1

i dare you

It is a more rigorous proof using induction that I don't have time for since I am at work. Call up an old math professor, though, that should suffice.

.9999... is a number that infinitally approachs 1, but never quite makes it because its a never ending series of 9's, after a decimal place, which cannot be truly equal to 1 because you know in your head that no matter how close it gets to 1, even if its 500 centillion 9's after the point, its still never going to actually be equal to 1

Man, now I know how Christians feel when they try to convince me of the existence of this God character.

Lacey_Lightfoot said:
look, this is a picture of me at college, clearly i know what im talking about

ad53859395194b6e8840ae46ab714ef9a7a.jpg

I like your neck beard.

Spiritplx said:
Man, now I know how Christians feel when they try to convince me of the existence of this God character.

what, blathering idiots who have some stupid idea they believe to be true and refuse to accept basic knowledge that proves them wrong?

id say thats pretty much how you should feel right now

.000… = 0/9 = 0
.111… = 1/9
.222… = 2/9
.333… = 3/9 = 1/3
.999… = 9/9 = 1

:toot:

Spiritplx said:
These both assume that 1/3 = 33% which is wrong and that .999=.999.... which is wrong.

This is a gay man argument. For anyone who doesn't know, it's where you bring up a very gay argument and push it over because it's easy to push over. There should be no reason to think that anyone expressed an opinion about gayitry, so there should be no reason to think they said anything about whether anyone was gay or not. Except for Felyn, who is gay.

9/9 = 1

9/9 = 9 x 1/9 = 9 x 0.111... = 0.999...

A proof stollen from wikipedia, but valid, Zorloft.

Lacey_Lightfoot said:
some people say that if you think about it like this, it makes sense:

1/3 = .3333...
+
1/3 = .3333...
+
1/3 = .3333...

=

1 = .9999....

but that doesn't work because 1/3 cannot be represented as a real, non repeating number. 1/3 represents a concept, but the .3333... doesnt, its just a flaw in the way we convert fractions into numbers

1/3 is actually represented by 0.333...

look if you were at least going commando i could understand it but briefs? what are you, eight years old? real men wear boxers

Back
Top Bottom