Share a little-known "Did you know...?" fact!

Discussion in 'SoD Discussion' started by Grinkles, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Grinkles

Grinkles Developer

While playing with those Monk animations, I wondered whether or not they had been given to the Vah Shir or Frogloks despite that neither of the races had the Monk class enabled. While the cats simply stood still when prompted, the Frogloks — much to my surprise — did carry out all the animations! :eek:

A little Googling revealed that Monk Frogloks were indeed enabled in 2014 in EQ, 11 years after the race's creation, yet as far as I can tell, the animations had been in place since the beginning. Talk about sitting on content for ages!

Check out these Frogloks dishing out Round Kick, Dragon Punch, Eagle Strike/Tiger Claw, and Flying Kick animations. My favorite is the Round Kick — it's almost like Ryu's Hurricane Kick from Street Fighter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a related note, how cool would it be for the Monk class to be opened up to Frogloks in SoD?! It's the least diverse class of all due to there being only two race options (Human and Iksar), and even then, it seems like 9 out of 10 Monks are Iksars. Current Froglok racial bonuses don't synergize at all with the class, but it'd still be cool to see some increased diversity. Methinks lawful neutral Malath's tenets gel perfectly with the Monk class lore... o_O

2. Grinkles

Grinkles Developer

Did you know that, as far back as 1999, there has been a reference to a mysterious "Ghost" race (ID #32) that was never implemented? o_O

And did you also know that, when Sony released their Call of the Forsaken expansion pack in 2013, they inexplicably decided to include files for the never-before-seen race #32, whose reference had been awaiting a model and textures for 14 long years?! :confused:

And did you also know that, by yoinking those files from a modern install of EQ, the model can be forced to load in SoD's current client despite that our client dates from 2008, five years before Call of the Forsaken?! :eek: This seems to suggest that the assets had been around since the game was first released, yet Sony sat on them all that time!

I only just discovered this by accident while browsing the EQEmu forums yesterday, so it's news to me. It turns out the Ghost model is actually a transparent version of various Human citizen/guard models with some of the color taken out of their skin and clothes. They animate the same as the familiar undead Erudite model seen in Ruins of the First City in SoD.

They may only be a hodgepodge of assets we've all seen before, but I find it amazing to see something completely "new" come to life after lying dormant for so many years. See for yourself and you be the judge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    fxattack, Kapitol K, AngryCow and 2 others like this.
  3. Binsin

Binsin Dalayan Adventurer

Did you know that while other classes who use items/clickies that cause bard animation to happen, Bards themselves no longer do these animations? I suspect Bards are breaking away from dancing around like a little girl when playing songs and just has some speakers on their gear and plays songs through their Ipods.

Kapitol K and Whopperfoo like this.
  4. fuwok

fuwok Dalayan Pious Diety

I'm a total Grinkles mark but that ghost thing is cool as shit.

Kapitol K, Whopperfoo and huey like this.
  5. Grinkles

Grinkles Developer

Did you know that the class-specific Luclin character select "zones" are still technically accessible using GM commands despite that they were retired in EQ 10+ years ago? They're all part of a single zone called load2, where each class's area is a self-contained, floating "island." This would make the zone perfect for a number of things, such as class guildhalls or even mini-events (like 6-man encounters).

Here's a shot showing the Rogue guild "island" and a few others in the background:

[​IMG]

It's a shame that Sony abandoned these in favor of a generic character select background that serves all classes. The Luclin-era ones were themed around each class, and some even contained Easter eggs if the player were to hit that (now defunct) Explore button. Here's one example found down a stairway at the back of the Rogue guild ― a hidden stash of jewelry, pottery, potions, gold, and... uh... well-endowed mannequins:

[​IMG]

Breigon, Fanglore, Ezie3205 and 4 others like this.