Smoothing Caster DPS

Should we abandon the new resist system?

• Yes, bring back the old all-or-nothing resists.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • No, keep the damage scaling.

Votes: 61 71.8%

• Total voters
This change would apply unilaterally to both players and NPCs, changing the way both react to spell damage. Some fights may need to be rebalanced, but I'm hoping the impact will be minimal. On the other hand, we may remove the current non-melee mitigation spells (Relic: Melody of the Shield and Nejax's Dampening Curse) since they will be a bit out of place and have long been problematic, so some amount of balancing will likely be necessary.

People seem to be having trouble reading/understanding the OP =p

Yeah, on second read, that question does sound like an "I didn't read the OP" question. I should clarify.

The intent of the question was about the amounts of damage players taking having a tangible effect on heals. Sure, those times you're only hitting 5 people instead of 6 with a group heal would be replaced with healing all 6 for a slightly less amount.

Would that lower than the number of group heals needed?

Monk splitting really isn't a big deal. With wall splits you can have any member of your raid be sacraficed to wall split.

@Tao

It certainly would smooth out healing. It would be most notable in the zones where people have traditionally used a strategy of "stack enough x resist so the AE rarely hits you". Suppose a 5k AE hits the raid 20% of the time. Our healer is healing t8 casters with 7k hp.

Pre change, every time the AE lands on 1 person in the group, the healer needs to big heal them. If it lands on 2-3 people, they group heal.

Post change, the AE lands on everyone for 1k every time. The healer can consistently wait for 6 pulses of the AE before casing their group heal.

Runic doesn't care.

On some fights you'd still have to Vim about as often, on others you'd have to cast it less frequently or not at all. Overall this change would mean raid damage would be less huge spikes, more constant and predictable damage. You know, the type of thing that HOTs are great at dealing with.

It seems that the majority is for at least trying this out. I expect us to patch it in soonish! Last chance to make your voice heard.

@Tao

It certainly would smooth out healing. It would be most notable in the zones where people have traditionally used a strategy of "stack enough x resist so the AE rarely hits you". Suppose a 5k AE hits the raid 20% of the time. Our healer is healing t8 casters with 7k hp.

Pre change, every time the AE lands on 1 person in the group, the healer needs to big heal them. If it lands on 2-3 people, they group heal.

Post change, the AE lands on everyone for 1k every time. The healer can consistently wait for 6 pulses of the AE before casing their group heal.

Yeah, those situations definitely.

This may have already been brought up, maybe not, but I'm 1) loving this idea and 2) curious about how it will affect elemental damage on weapons, if at all?

been playing with the change a couple hours now and liking it, but i got to thinking, are we gonna see some update to the focus/mind specialization? I guess it's sort of a minor issue and possibly a nonissue in the big scheme of things but it's a thing

been playing with the change a couple hours now and liking it, but i got to thinking, are we gonna see some update to the focus/mind specialization? I guess it's sort of a minor issue and possibly a nonissue in the big scheme of things but it's a thing
How is it a thing? Wouldn't it just translate into you having more of a chance to do full damage?

How is it a thing? Wouldn't it just translate into you having more of a chance to do full damage?

does it? I haven't seen any mention of it in this thread or the patch notes and i didn't want to assume anything. It's a harmless question to ask.

It wouldnt be more CHANCE to do more damage, it should simply make you always do more damage unless for some reason it doesn't translate. Until a dev says otherwise though, I'd bet it is making you do more damage.

Back
Top Bottom