Smoothing Caster DPS

Should we abandon the new resist system?

• Yes, bring back the old all-or-nothing resists.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • No, keep the damage scaling.

Votes: 61 71.8%

• Total voters
Maybe I missed it while reading the thread but how do aoe's that are tied to other effects like blinds/root/stun work now? I'm curious if the blind part of an aoe is on the old resist code and the damage is on the new or if I will be blinded after each aoe since I will be taking at least some damage.

I can only say what I know from experience. Say in Frost when you try to mez priests on 4 pulls. They migitate mezz so bad now that the chanter has to chain mez and can only do it one mob. I do lierally mean chain mez. Now granted I only have overpowering calm I and enchanced control II but I still have to chain mez how will effect such mobs.

Mobs that show a JI of 11 to <random resist> still produce resist messages when they are the target of spells <random resist> type. Personally I think this is WAI, but figured I may as well point it out.

Maybe I missed it while reading the thread but how do aoe's that are tied to other effects like blinds/root/stun work now? I'm curious if the blind part of an aoe is on the old resist code and the damage is on the new or if I will be blinded after each aoe since I will be taking at least some damage.

DDs with durations and DoTs with debuffs use the old system.

I can only say what I know from experience. Say in Frost when you try to mez priests on 4 pulls. They migitate mezz so bad now that the chanter has to chain mez and can only do it one mob. I do lierally mean chain mez. Now granted I only have overpowering calm I and enchanced control II but I still have to chain mez how will effect such mobs.

Mezz did not change. At all. If it doesn't deal damage it definitely did not change.

Last edited:
Mobs that show a JI of 11 to <random resist> still produce resist messages when they are the target of spells <random resist> type. Personally I think this is WAI, but figured I may as well point it out.

It'll still show a resist message if damage is scaled all the way down to 0. Would just mean you literally did not have any chance to land it in the old system.

Last edited:
Small Issue

Something I noticed playing with the change. It's really only an issue for certain mobs/situations, but can be a pain. Basically, having DoT's always land on me can take up a bunch of buff slots in a hurry. I was pulling insane researchers in FoB and getting 3 DoT's stacked on me. As a shaman, that's 4 slots I need to have free when engaging these guys if I want to self-HoT. Soloing them before the change I would get maybe two DoT's on me at once if I were unlucky (usually no more than one)... now it's guaranteed 3.

Admittedly not a huge issue as most mobs aren't going to stack that many DoT's on a player, but in this situation it was really annoying.

Something I noticed playing with the change. It's really only an issue for certain mobs/situations, but can be a pain. Basically, having DoT's always land on me can take up a bunch of buff slots in a hurry. I was pulling insane researchers in FoB and getting 3 DoT's stacked on me. As a shaman, that's 4 slots I need to have free when engaging these guys if I want to self-HoT. Soloing them before the change I would get maybe two DoT's on me at once if I were unlucky (usually no more than one)... now it's guaranteed 3.

Admittedly not a huge issue as most mobs aren't going to stack that many DoT's on a player, but in this situation it was really annoying.

This is also an issue I'm having and the only thing I hate about this change. Dots that I just autoresisted before all land on me, eating up valuable buff spots :(

This is also an issue I'm having and the only thing I hate about this change. Dots that I just autoresisted before all land on me, eating up valuable buff spots :(

Another big issue that we just encountered, previously on fights like Denos, we resisted next to every stun. This no longer happens. This is a very annoying problem.

Didn't think of stuns. Will add an exception for those.

Maybe DoTs should only use the new system for players against NPCs and not the other way around? Although the inconsistency there would kind of suck it might be more realistic for the buff slot limits we are stuck with.

Didn't think of stuns. Will add an exception for those.

Maybe DoTs should only use the new system for players against NPCs and not the other way around? Although the inconsistency there would kind of suck it might be more realistic for the buff slot limits we are stuck with.

I think both of these are a good way to go.

Having players mitigate dots is better in an ideal world, but with our limited buff slot client it is problematic.

remove ultimates/primals from the game

It is a bad mechanic and it is too random that makes encounters sometimes a 'luck shot' if the wizards get too many of them.

Wizards are too powerful with them and they should be scaled down.

Are slows and snare currently exempted? I cannot think of them offhand but there were definitely a few fights that incorporated slows/snares with damage portions. Fear as well...basically any form of cc

Last edited:
remove ultimates/primals from the game

It is a bad mechanic and it is too random that makes encounters sometimes a 'luck shot' if the wizards get too many of them.

Wizards are too powerful with them and they should be scaled down.

I know you are just trolling...

I dont like relying on ult/primals for wizard dps, but with the aod changes wizards rarely top dps charts anymore.

Last edited:
I haven't tested it in game yet but from first glances you went and changed the best necro tome and turned it into a piece of shit.. and packaged it as rebalanced

I don't understand most of the math posted but from what I can gather if I have two ranks of the tome done and cast caress (no resist adjust) and it lands any subsequent caress now has a -4% resist adjust if i recast it before it wears off?

Is this correct?

If so, how did you end up here from a FC rebalancing thread basically asking for the timer to be reduced or the spell being slightly changed?

You are misunderstanding the tome: The more different dot types you have on the target the bigger - adjust there is. I think it got up to close to -50 with rank 4 and all 5 elements, which is pretty nice. I don't remember the exact numbers though. Also this is probably the wrong forum.

I haven't tested it in game yet but from first glances you went and changed the best necro tome and turned it into a piece of shit.. and packaged it as rebalanced

People were already complaining that it had become worthless. And I'm not sure where anyone packaged it as rebalanced? It's certainly different.

I don't understand most of the math posted but from what I can gather if I have two ranks of the tome done and cast caress (no resist adjust) and it lands any subsequent caress now has a -4% resist adjust if i recast it before it wears off?

Is this correct?

No. The resist adjusts are re-checked every tick in the new system. If you just cast Caress of Sivyana on something it will have no bonus. If you add on Marlow's Cremation before Caress wears off, subsequent ticks of both will have a -4 bonus resist adjust as long as they are both running. If you add in Claws of the Chill before either of those wear off, all three spells now have a -8 bonus resist adjust. Throw on Scitterpox and now everything has a -12 bonus resist adjust. If Caress wears off but Marlow's Cremation, Claws of the Chill and Scitterpox are still running, their next ticks will go back down to -8 bonus resist adjust. And so on.

Thinking on it I might switch it around so the first two ranks are worth bigger chunks than the last two. Right now the first ranks are worth -2 each and the last two are worth -3 each; should probably be the other way around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom