Style changes to wiki

Notpit

Dalayan Beginner
What do you guys think?

I am not liking it for some reason. I am not sure if I just don't like change in my tools or if it is really harder to read. I would like to hear others' responses.

The 'classic' style made it possible for me to troll it at work. This will no longer be possible. Can we edit the styles in our preferences?

ya I don't like the new style change on wiki either, hopefully there's a way to change it (or they give us an option to change it sometime)

Well, I like it. Its very nice, and not so plain. Someone put quite a bit of work into it, and for one, I thank them. And say again, its very nice.
When I looked at the old, to be honest, my reaction was, "Wow, did they put NO time into developing this page?" The new page looks like it has had some effort put into it. Looks more professional, nicer.

Well, that's just my 2 copper.

I preferred the old. It now looks less like a wiki, more like a geocities page circa early 1990's.

Also I'm pretty sure blue on darker blue might fuck the colorblind.

The last two days have been busy busy with the changes. We'd gotten quite a few requests to make the wiki dark bg / light text (like the forums.) I think I've pretty much got it where it's going now (though please add any notes to my talk page if you see something that needs changed.)

Styles can be edited in preferences (Skins - Modern would be my suggestion). I'm still learning wiki-based CSS, so I'm a bit limited on making the styles more dynamic. I would LIKE to be able to assign classes to the elements on the main page, the infoboxes, the navboxes, etc, so we can change the visual styles with the skins. If anyone has a better handle on how to do this than I do, please speak up.

my suggestion would be to add a skin to have it the old way. i've previewed every skin it has and they are are horrible. We don't really need to re-invent the wheel do we?

my suggestion would be to add a skin to have it the old way. i've previewed every skin it has and they are are horrible. We don't really need to re-invent the wheel do we?

That's not currently possible. Even if we duplicated the Monobook skin and make the 'old' version accessible, the style elements on the front page and on the infoboxes, navboxes and related templates are inline (and always have been.) You can see these difference if you change to one of the other skins - the colors will go back to normal, the moose will return, and the tiled blue background image (that could probably be changed if anyone has any suggestions!) will go away... but the frontpage boxes and such will still be dark.

So if anyone is badass with CSS and wants to help me with the fiddly bits, I'm willing to spend more time to help people who can't handle change not have to deal with it. But until then, please try to enjoy the new view.

Also, since the changes over the last 3 days were done in CSS, please use a full refresh (the methods for doing so will depend on your browser) to make sure you're viewing the current version of the skin.

Is there a way to add a "Dalaya at Work" type skin? Some if the font is very difficult for me to read, especially the front page.

Actually after trying various skins, I don't think that will fix it. This is an example of hard to read stuff.

WikiDarkBlue.jpg

I have a real hard time reading it.

Ok, I'm not going to repeat myself again. If someone wants to step up and help me figure out the CSS better, I'll make the other skins more usable. Otherwise, you're going to have to 'deal' with the new skin until I can find the time and figure it out on my own.

*Edit: In the meantime, you may find this useful. Making revisions to your personal style maybe.

Last edited:
It is better than the first few days but I still prefer the old style, it was much easier on the eyes and very neutral.

the darker shades are way easier on the eyes when you are staring at it for long periods of time. the darker is ++. Considerably better than the old white.

Last edited:
I am sure you put a lot of time into these changes but in all fairness why would you do so and only make things more difficult to read in many cases?

Nobody should have to use a skin other then the default for things to be legible.

The front page is more readable then the other day but many others were not so fortunate.

You really should not be asking others to step up and help you after you change things; if you are out of your depth then don't change it in the first place perhaps?

EDIT: For specific examples, the light blue and red text on light gray background in the tradeskill pages is horrendous.

Last edited:
Not to slam the person that did all the work BUT

Was way easier to read before. Its just a database of info. I don't think it needs to look pretty, just be an effective source of information. The simpler, the better.

Back
Top Bottom