The 8800 graphics card issue

Linux drivers do not have this problem

I have resolved this issue by also running Ubuntu linux. I dual boot linux and windows and just boot into linux when I want to play SoD.

SoD runs well under many linux distros, you just need to install the third party nvidia drivers and wine.

I've had this problem as well.. After reading through this thread I've come across a fix.. So far...

Choose to Bind Affinty to ONE (1) Processor if you're running Dual or Quad Core. Seems to have fixed it so far for me. Makes playing a Monk 10x easier!

EDIT: Just finished a session of SoD, game ran fine while two-boxing. Wouldn't even run for more than two minutes previously. Also, as aforementioned, it does help to /hidecorpse all periodically if you're farming one spot. Corpses will build up and there will be an occasional glitch.

Last edited:
Well when I first got this computer I just used the on board Intel graphics. It worked great for SoD, but some of my newer games were getting laggy. A friend gave me some older NVidia cards he had, and I tried them. 4500 has the problem with graphics tearing or whatever, so does 5500... I now have a GeForce 8600, with the same issue. This is on Win XP. I'm not sure how to describe it, as there are two issues. First is that when attacking, the camera view pops back to inside the char. Second is when close to a mob, the graphics will extend a small pixel segment out to infinity, which sucks when fighting multiple mobs and one or two are dead, or especially against any large mobs like dragons etc. It is and has been a known issue with NVidia for a long time I have found out. all I can say is I will never buy another NVidia card.

I notice nVidia have little hotfixes for various games in their drivers. Like when Crysis was released for example, they had a special driver just for that. So I am going to try to contact them about this game and see if they can do something about it. Does anyone happen to know if this problem happens in Live too? Or does the more recent graphics upgrade in that game avoid the problem?

Also, I noticed that nobody has ever actually posted a screenshot of this problem, so here is one:

I turned the UI off so you can get a good look at it. This is just me meleeing a wolf. You can see a bit of ground through the freaky shapes in this shot. Sometimes it covers the entire screen though. Sometimes it is different colours and different shapes. This is just one example.

It makes first person melee fighting pretty much impossible because you need to be able to see stuff, and you just can't.

Well when I first got this computer I just used the on board Intel graphics. It worked great for SoD, but some of my newer games were getting laggy. A friend gave me some older NVidia cards he had, and I tried them. 4500 has the problem with graphics tearing or whatever, so does 5500... I now have a GeForce 8600, with the same issue. This is on Win XP. I'm not sure how to describe it, as there are two issues. First is that when attacking, the camera view pops back to inside the char. Second is when close to a mob, the graphics will extend a small pixel segment out to infinity, which sucks when fighting multiple mobs and one or two are dead, or especially against any large mobs like dragons etc. It is and has been a known issue with NVidia for a long time I have found out. all I can say is I will never buy another NVidia card.

I used to have an nVidia ti4200 card and it was fine on that. So it must be from some time around the 4500 cards onwards. It is probably something to do with shader 2.0 or something.

nVidia isn't that bad really. This card is absolutely great with every other game, it's only this one which I have a problem with.

I've had this problem as well.. After reading through this thread I've come across a fix.. So far...

Choose to Bind Affinty to ONE (1) Processor if you're running Dual or Quad Core. Seems to have fixed it so far for me. Makes playing a Monk 10x easier!

EDIT: Just finished a session of SoD, game ran fine while two-boxing. Wouldn't even run for more than two minutes previously. Also, as aforementioned, it does help to /hidecorpse all periodically if you're farming one spot. Corpses will build up and there will be an occasional glitch.

That's a different problem. It is unrelated to this nVidia problem. That is the dual core bug which is well known. The latest SoD patcher even lets you force the game to run on one core without you having to do the bind affinity thing.

Found a solution, it only cost me $120 bucks. Bought an ATI card and threw out the 8800. Sooo much better.

@madwurm: Running it under Linux with WINE seems to solve the targetting ring problem as well that happens on some ATI cards. Woohoo :)

My guess is that the boat/first person bug lurks somewhere in how that other company used Direct3D and how the modern Nvidia cards and drivers implement those Direct3D features. With WINE, there's a Direct3D -> OpenGL wrapper, and this wrapper might have a cleaner implementation of the same features, so things like the boats work.

Or WINE includes EQ-specific fixes that also apply to SoD.

In either case, it's the best solution I've come across so far, thanks :)

been playing around with some of my settings because I just cant get used to using a 3rd person view in this game and I found that if you turn off the luclin character model for whatever toon your are playing it will greatly reduce the effects of this glitch and 1st person will at least be playable.

I just got an 8800gtx in my new comp. I will be logging in to give melee a try and see how it is. But if it is as everyone says....I thank you for the tip and will be trying old model trick like you suggest.

Side note......8800gtx gave me targeting ring back!!! weeeeee.

I just got an 8800gtx in my new comp. I will be logging in to give melee a try and see how it is. But if it is as everyone says....I thank you for the tip and will be trying old model trick like you suggest.

Side note......8800gtx gave me targeting ring back!!! weeeeee.

I have 2 of those cards in SLI and they in fact have the melee glitch.

Ive had a lot of cards while on SoD on like 8 diff computers/laptops and have realized there are 3 options:

1. Buy Nvidia and get melee bug
2. Buy Ati and loose targeting ring
3. Play on and old laptop or Desktop and have no bugs =)

Out of 6 PC's I have access too atm the only one with no bugs is a 4 year old **** Vaio Laptop with a 64mb ati card. Rest either loose ring or have melee bug.

Once you get used to play in 3rd person though, you never go back.

I've been messing with the graphics settings in the drivers and haven't found anyway to reduce the effects. I run around in 3rd person but being too close to a wall or having something like a tree block your camera will even cause it to start happening. Personally all the spazzing lines and what not make me sick to my stomach if it happens enough in a short bit of time.

Seems kind of stupid to have to do so, but Im halfway considering setting up a linux install just to emulate windows so it doesn't make me want to barf when Im playing the game. There has to be something you can just disable in the via a command line or some such to make it work like it used to.

I played this game two years ago on a 7800 and this never happened then, so something has been added to the drivers since to cause it. Was considering Physx might be the culprit and tried disabling it but got no results...so dunno.

I just tested a few things. Under Ubuntu Linux 8.04 using WINE 1.1.20, the following works:

• Target ring works using ATI card, even when the same machine under Windows can't show it. This is with a modern Radeon 4730 series cards and on an older X1950
  • First person and boats work using a new NVidia card, even if they don't on the same machine with Windows. Tested on an Geforce 9600 GT and I can test on a Geforce 6200 too

So either buy an old graphics card or slap Ubuntu (or any OS that can run WINE, e.g. FreeBSD, Mac OS X etc.) on the machine.

The only prerequisite is that your graphics card has decent Linux drivers with hardware acceleration. Any Nvidia card automatically qualifies and newer ATI cards (which are the only ones with the target ring problem) will work as well.

So, problem solved :D Something in the way WINE translates D3D to OpenGL must fix the mistakes that the old engine is making with boats/target rings.

Here's Ubuntu and here's a nice screenshot-filled guide for putting the latest bleeding edge WINE releases on it.

Edit: Just tested with a piece of crap Intel GM45 Express onboard graphics card in a laptop and it works there too. So I think we have most large graphics cards manufacturers covered :)

Last edited:
... and newer ATI cards (which are the only ones with the target ring problem) ...

The definition of "new" is not new in most people's eyes, however. While running Win XP Home on an old desktop, an agp based ATI Radeon x600 256 MB has the targeting ring issue. (And, it is several years old.)

But, I just live with it by watching for the flashing name of the npc targeted.

I should have known the 8800 would have problems with this... Nvidia seemed to scrap anything over 5 years old from their driver range. Almost all my old games are unplayable now.

I have done nothing but goggle for info and patches, since I got the damn thing about 2 years ago. "sigh"

I have not actually got into game yet so I am HOPING that I will be o.k lol

Well I finally got into charr select and even there I am having HUGE problems... GGRRRR!!!! I knew I would, I always have every problem going since I got this damn card!

The characters for all race seem to be bending around everywhere, it's totally crazy and unplayable in this state :(

I have noticed some updated drivers on Nvidia homepage, will give them a whirl and keep you posted

Last edited:
My problem may or may not be the same exact bug as this tearing or the dual core bug but something else entirely. I do run an 8800gts card and sometimes I get the tearing when near an object but i set the bind affinity to one processor and still get the following: toons will start to morph, turning in on themselves or head will start to grow or other body parts. If in first person I won't notice this directly but I will kind of warp if I'm running somewhere faster than bard speed mind you. eventually I will fall thru the world. Also, when it starts it is like I am zooming in and out very fast then the morphing will start.

The only fix I have found is to run eqplaynice which will set this back from 10-15 mins to about 4-5 hours but that varies. But once it starts happening I just reboot the comp and all is well again.

Oh yeah, maybe it's not related but if I run a movie on any format I will have to reboot becuz I will get the bug at char select no matter what. It's a minor issue but would be nice to not have. If I'm drunk it's really like an impressionist in action, kinda creepy seeing toons morphing in on themselves.

My problem may or may not be the same exact bug as this tearing or the dual core bug but something else entirely. I do run an 8800gts card and sometimes I get the tearing when near an object but i set the bind affinity to one processor and still get the following: toons will start to morph, turning in on themselves or head will start to grow or other body parts. If in first person I won't notice this directly but I will kind of warp if I'm running somewhere faster than bard speed mind you. eventually I will fall thru the world. Also, when it starts it is like I am zooming in and out very fast then the morphing will start.

The only fix I have found is to run eqplaynice which will set this back from 10-15 mins to about 4-5 hours but that varies. But once it starts happening I just reboot the comp and all is well again.

Oh yeah, maybe it's not related but if I run a movie on any format I will have to reboot becuz I will get the bug at char select no matter what. It's a minor issue but would be nice to not have. If I'm drunk it's really like an impressionist in action, kinda creepy seeing toons morphing in on themselves.

I wanna see a fraps of this ;)

Back
Top Bottom