The sub level 50(lv 60?) levels are desolate

I'm sure some/most would want some better compensation for time invested at a lower level. Maybe as the idea fleshes itself out some sort of scaled exp gain could be done, but it's outside my area of expertise. Some sort of character flag for additional exp similar to a zone exp bonus or group bonus

Playing with new friends would be quite an incentive, if you ask me. Or smashing content (since you are effectively a twink) with your favorite toon since you will be a super lvl 11, TEACH THOSE GNOLLS WHO'S BOSS.

Edit: Like you said, exp at lvl 15 vs exp at lvl 65 is so different. You get a few thousand points vs the one mob for the same thousands. I don't think that exp needs to be the focus of de-leveling. In my opinion, I think there are other incentives to encourage that.

Last edited:
Playing with new friends would be quite an incentive, if you ask me. Or smashing content (since you are effectively a twink) with your favorite toon since you will be a super lvl 11, TEACH THOSE GNOLLS WHO'S BOSS.

Edit: Like you said, exp at lvl 15 vs exp at lvl 65 is so different. You get a few thousand points vs the one mob for the same thousands. I don't think that exp needs to be the focus of de-leveling. In my opinion, I think there are other incentives to encourage that.

I agree with you, playing with friends and encouraging retention should be primary goal. But we would be fooling ourselves if we thought everyone thought that way. There are plenty who are thinking "Well, what's in it for me to spend my time as a level 25 instead of just smashing Kaesora for a few hours? What can I stand to gain from helping some dudes learn SoD, I have charms to farm and alts to exp." so I was thinking maybe some small incentive or something. Not even experience really, could be literally anything. Would be really nice if we could incorporate some fame gains into this, but I may be dreaming a bit lol. I don't want to taint a potentially pure and good system.

People are inherently short-sighted and selfish, if they did things because it helped them more in the long run you wouldn't need things like governments. An incentive is more than likely required.

I think that just as a QoL change that at least full groups should get a bonus. On live, when I played, the 6th person in a group was "free" exp. So why not make it so a 6th person splits exp as if there were only 5? Or after the 4th person give a 10% bonus per person in the group (total of +20%).

I do like the idea of a type of New Game + for SoD though. I would love to de-level my characters just to screw around with the leveling content again. That is unfortunately the biggest downside to all of this talk about pushing people into the end game, the loss of some of the more fun hunting areas and leveling quests. Heck, I would rather Adept than Raid.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like there is a good answer here. If we push people to 65 right away or significantly faster, we lose all the really great low level content (which I think is as fun, sometimes more fun than max level content). They will also have worse than the already horrible scrubby gear a strait to 65 is likely to have anyway. We wont get/keep new people if we allow them to languish slowly in the empty void that is 1-65. It is hard to get people off their high level mains because 1-65 is less than 10% of the total game and you could easily play the same character for two years and find yourself finally at the door steps of tomes and T8+ raid gear.

People fresh on this server with no friends have a HELL of a time leveling, even as a box. The gear progression is really weird, prior to the new starting area quests your gear options were dick all unless you did your homework and started as a certain race or just leveled in that area. Even after the new starting area quests, while they have a lot more money and a few really nice items they are going to be wearing most of those items at max level. Most fresh 65s are going to be wearing a mishmash of Cesspits gear, Starfall/Thurg, a few lvl 3 quest items, maybe 2 or 3 adept items or mid 30s drops, and 1-3 LOW priced BoEs.

Honestly, there is no shortage of problems and issues these ideas raise.

The one issue i see with the de-level system, if it is even possible, is that the toon would need some kind of flag to prevent them from looting in level restricted zones, and against adepts. There is a few items (hexdoll comes to mind) that I am sure some unscrupulous people would de-level for just to go get them. Though, you should be able to fight in the group to help players of the right level attain the stuff. This would be a great way to allow those post 52 to finish the quest for that ring that was put in long after most had leveled up, too.

To be quite honest, I think if you're de-leveling to kill an adept you should have every right to roll for loot. Some/ a lot of adepts weren't even in the game when I started. If I go back and kill some monsters with friends, at the appropriate level, I don't see any issues. That is just me though.

I think adepts are the least of our concerns in this conversation. If dudes de level to farm them but population is higher, who cares. There is so much content at 65, missing adepts is no big deal.

Thread is silly.

No matter what level you are in this game, fresh out of the dream all the way to t8+, it is impossible to have fun in Dalaya playing by yourself. You may get some satisfaction grinding Shards of Dalaya singleplayer edition and may get a kick out of being one of a many asshats on this server that absolutely refuse to do stuff with strangers, but this game is designed to be played with people and in some cases, many people.

At least it's possible to solo decent exp 1-55. It's rough as most classes at 65 without serious raid gear to solo decent blue con exp outside of weeds in OG.

The 1-55 exp "problem" isn't hardly a problem except for people who want to quicklevel alts. I say that as a bored guy who has levelled every class except wizard, paladin and monk basically solo all the way from 1 to 60+ (my wizard and paladin were boxed). The real problem is that this game, outside of two or three stubborn raiding guilds, is a graveyard.

Nobody wants to play EverQuest anymore. SoD staff need to find a way to attract them to this sandbox.

Thread is silly.

No matter what level you are in this game, fresh out of the dream all the way to t8+, it is impossible to have fun in Dalaya playing by yourself. You may get some satisfaction grinding Shards of Dalaya singleplayer edition and may get a kick out of being one of a many asshats on this server that absolutely refuse to do stuff with strangers, but this game is designed to be played with people and in some cases, many people.

At least it's possible to solo decent exp 1-55. It's rough as most classes at 65 without serious raid gear to solo decent blue con exp outside of weeds in OG.

The 1-55 exp "problem" isn't hardly a problem except for people who want to quicklevel alts. I say that as a bored guy who has levelled every class except wizard, paladin and monk basically solo all the way from 1 to 60+ (my wizard and paladin were boxed). The real problem is that this game, outside of two or three stubborn raiding guilds, is a graveyard.

Nobody wants to play EverQuest anymore. SoD staff need to find a way to attract them to this sandbox.

<Goon Squad> we're the best!

The idea of letting people "de-level" has been in EQ2 for YEARS now and it works surprisingly well. De-leveled people with really high end gear ARE super-noobs and destroy the content, but that's so preferable to the tumbleweeds I'm going through right now. I tried to level the "real" way but finally got overwhelmingly bored killing gnolls alone for hours, so I'll probably just look to leech off someone nice. Doesn't really matter IMO how fun or awesome the lower level content is here if you have to do it all alone.

Hey some unrelated good news - a ton of low level people seem to have joined and I saw them playing today. The low levels looked pretty lively for a little while earlier today.

There are quite a few low level people running around so it would probably be in the server's interest for everyone to try and be helpful. For example: today instead of selling my bags of mastercraft weapons I mailed them to random people below level 30 along with some banded giant armor. Does that make me a hero? Probably. Will my epic act of heroism, worthy of song and statues in my honor, single handedly save the server? Probably not. Spread some love around people- maybe run over to Fearstone and cast some buffs or clean out your bank all over some newbs or just try and give slightly less opinionated and jaded answers in ooc.

Getting some traction on the idea of scaling up group XP for having more members wouldn't hurt either. Just sayin'.

I won 25k in one of the lotteries a year or two ago and gave it all away and then some to new players, mostly goons. It was discouraging seeing 95% of them vanish within a week without making it to level 30. Although with the recent Goon Squad reboot I've had a few people send me tells saying they remembered me gearing them out so at least some folks are trying SoD again. Anything that can be done to make it more likely for them to finish leveling and join the bulk of the community at 65 is a good thing.

On the "other servers" thing, I dont know if it is now the case but SoD was not affiliated to EQemu, hence not mentioned in their server list. Ok this is not "the game" , but the other servers sometimes aren't either. Not being there is like not being on Amazon when you run an e-shop nowadays, you dont get the massive traffic the other servers get. And with packetloss, graphic bugs, target rings etc... all fixed , this server should dominate the emu scene by far.

Was looking at EQEmu forums today, seeing the cool things they do there and found something very similar to what I suggested in this thread somewhere. An NPC that will de-level you, remember your EXP, and when you return to your previous level add what you earned on top of it.

Here Is Original Thread
It's hard to tell how it went, considering the lack of real responses but it looks pretty cool.

Thank you rdurbin from EQEmulator forums for this.
Posted Code:
Code:
sub EVENT_SAY
{
 if($status>=0)
 {
 if($text=~/yes/i && defined($qglobals{oldlevel}) && $qglobals{oldlevel} eq "hailed")
 {
 quest::setglobal("oldlevel","Said Yes",4,"S30");
 $client->Message(13,"ok please note that any pets or buffs you currently have will be
 removed but you can recast them after your level goes down");
 $client->Message(5,"you can change your mind if you want, if your ready to proceed just
 tell me what level you want to be set to");
 }
 elsif($text>0 && $text<$ulevel && $qglobals{oldlevel} eq "Said Yes")
 {
 quest::setglobal("oldlevel",$ulevel,4,"F");
 $client->Duck();
 #$client->Message(13,$client->GetEXP());
 quest::setglobal("oldexp",$client->GetEXP(),4,"F");
 quest::selfcast(1285);
 quest::selfcast(331);
 quest::selfcast(1792);
 quest::level($text);
 quest::setglobal("earnedexp",$client->GetEXP(),4,"F");
 $client->Stand();
 }
 elsif($qglobals{oldlevel} eq "Said Yes" && ($text<1 || $text>$ulevel) && !($text=~/hail/i))
 {
 $client->Message(13,"sorry that is not possible");
 quest::delglobal("oldlevel");
 }
 elsif(defined($qglobals{oldlevel}) && $ulevel<$qglobals{oldlevel} && $text=~/hail/i)
 {
 $originallevel=$qglobals{oldlevel};
 $client->Message(5,"Do you wish to restore your level back to $originallevel ?");
 }
 elsif(defined($qglobals{oldlevel}) && $ulevel<$qglobals{oldlevel} && $text=~/yes/i)
 {
 #quest::level($qglobals{oldlevel});
 $addedexp=$client->GetEXP()-$qglobals{earnedexp};
 $client->SetEXP($qglobals{oldexp},0,0);
 $originallevel=$qglobals{oldlevel};
 $client->Message(15,"You earned $addedexp XP while deleveled, I will add this to your real level");
 $client->AddEXP($addedexp);
 quest::delglobal("oldlevel");
 quest::delglobal("oldexp");
 }
 elsif($text=~/hail/i)
 {
 $client->Message(5,"Greetings $name, would you like to de-level yourself so you can
 play with your friends that may be a lower level than you?  You can return
 to your original level at any time");
 quest::setglobal("oldlevel","hailed",4,"S10");
 }
 elsif(!defined($qglobals{oldlevel}))
 {
 $client->Message(13,"if you where talking to me, You took to long to decide");
 $client->Message(13,"You will need to hail me again if you want to delevel");
 }
 }
 else
 {
 $client->Message(10,"currently this function is in testing, you must be a GM to use it.");
 }
}

All those far more popular servers are Everquest...

Right, so something about those "far more popular" servers is drawing better crowds. Those servers all have their own appeal. What is SoD's appeal and how do we maximize it? By and large, People do not want to play EverQuest anymore. What are those servers doing that is giving all those players a reason to play on those servers?

Back
Top Bottom