Trap sensing by non-rogues/bards

Haenir

Dalayan Master
Whatever happened to:
...we have split the sense trap skill into two parts. First, a general sense trap that is available to all classes. Second, a specific sense trap that is available to Rogues and Bards.
When any player walks near a trap that is within their sense skill, the trap will appear as a visible model. The size of that model will depend on your sense trap as related to the skill trivial of the trap. This should allow any class to, when paying attention, identify and avoid traps throughout the game world - most specifically when dungeon crawling.

Since a trap will appear larger in size relative to your sense trap skill, rogues, bards and rangers will allow for much more ease of trap identification. The sense trap caps are tentatively set as follows: Rogues 250, Bards 120, Rangers 100, Other Melees 75, Casters 50.

Rogues and Bards will also be able to specifically sense traps. Using the sense button forces the trap model larger, and keeps it from dissappearing again for many minutes. We have drastically lowered the chance of a critical trap failure, and are possibly planning to add beneficial effects when certain traps are disarmed. Rangers will also be able to sense outdoor traps and disarm them from afar with their bows. We are also considering to give rangers some limited ability to disarm indoor traps.

A sprung trap will respawn in about 20 minutes. A disarmed trap will stay down for an hour or more - depending how much higher your skill is as compared to the traps trivial. Most raid or group traps will be down for a period of time that one disarm of each trap should be efficient.

We have removed some trash from most raid zones where we have implemented the new traps. You should, on average, have shorter clears with smart rogues and bards, but longer clears if you just blindly run into all the traps.

Anyone know?

I remember wondering about this years ago when I saw these patch notes. I had come back after several months away from the game and that info made me think the raid scene must've changed considerably. Once I got back into the flow of things, however, I didn't see any such traps. Perhaps it was buggy, unbalanced, or impractical and thus never made the final cut.

For reference, Haenir's quoting Woldaff's Mar 13, 2013 patch notes. I notice that the followup patch (archived on the same page and also by Woldaff) says:
Traps are still not ready! We hope to finish this up later in the week.

The next reference I see to traps is from Apr 10, 2013, where Woldaff states:
The cool down on rogue traps have been lowered substantially. The preparation time has also been lowered on the second tier trap kit. A third tier trap kit with very low preparation time is being planned for an upcoming patch.

This was in reference to ROG traps and nothing to do with the supposed dungeon trap overhaul. So, unless I'm missing something, it appears the whole concept had already been scrapped less than a month later.

some of the traps from that trap overhaul idea remain in the game of course though. PoFrost bed spiders and the numerous imp spawning traps in tower of tarhyl namely.

Back
Top Bottom