Troll Racial abilities

Mythryn

Dalayan Master
I was recently talking to a friend of mine, and the topic of the Troll exp penalty came up. They currently suffer from a -2.5% exp modifier, a -10% skill modifier, and a -20 Fire resist modifier, and gain Slam, Infravision, and a -25% duration on Stun and Fear effects, as well as increased regen. I personally don't think these Racial abilities are balanced versus other races, and don't think the exp loss is fitting for the meager benefits gained.

In comparison to other large races (so, Troll, Ogre, Barbarian), as well as the only other race with an exp penalty (Iksar), Trolls don't make out so well.

Racial Starting stats (for a Warrior with no stat points spent) and Racial Abilities

Barbiarian
Code:
Stats:
113 STR, 105 STA, 87 AGI, 70 DEX, 70 WIS, 60 INT, 55 CHA, 560 total stat points 

Racial Traits: 
Ability: Slam
Stun Duration -25%
Fear Duration -25%
CR +10

Ogre
Code:
Stats:
140 STR, 132 STA, 75 AGI, 70 DEX, 67 WIS, 60 INT, 37 CHA, 581 total stat points

Racial Traits:
Ability: Slam
Ability: Infravision
Stun Duration -25%
Fear Duration -25%
Consumes food faster.

Iksar
Code:
Stats:
80 STR, 80 STA, 95 AGI, 85 DEX, 80 WIS, 75 INT, 55 CHA, 550 total stat points

Racial Traits: 
Ability: Natural Armor (+ AC)
Fear Resistance: +20%
CR -10
FR +5
Forage +10
EXP: -2.5%
Skill: -10%
Regeneration (Unknown amount)

Troll
Code:
Stats:
118 STR, 119 STA, 88 AGI, 75 DEX, 60 WIS, 52 INT, 40 CHA, 552 total stat 

Racial Traits:
FR -20
Stun Duration -25%
Fear Duration -25%
EXP: -2.5%
Skill: -10%
Regeneration (Unknown amount)

And, for further reference, a Human Warrior, widely considered the 'balanced' race.

Human
Code:
Stats:
85 STR, 85 STA, 80 AGI, 75 DEX, 75 WIS, 75 INT, 75 CHA, 550 total stat points

Racial Traits:
EXP: +5%
Skill: +10%

As you can see, Trolls share the same bonus as the other large races, with some regen added in. To 'balance' that, they were given the same penalty as Iksars, a class with awesome racial traits, but mild stats. However, Trolls also get an awesome -20 Fire Resist penalty, meaning they are 30 points (resist wise) below Barbarians. To top it off, they have the second lowest amount of base stat points listed, at 552.

It's my opinion that the negatives highly outweigh the positives for Trolls, and it would be fair to see them get another bonus or two.

I definately agree with this post.

The troll/iksar regen used to be around 20 regen per tic higher than any other race.

Its my understanding that this has been changed so that the iksar/troll regen is worth signifigantly less and even less in combat. (I think the exp penalties were lowered because of this.)

But....
The benefits of regen are lacking to begin with. And i think that many people feel that regen is next to worthless unless your a monk feigned or a necro.
http://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php?topic=15362.0 (thread includes thoughts on regen by many players).

I'm thinking: Have trolls deal more damage with bash / kick. Not too much more, but enough that it feels useful.

Back
Top Bottom