Updated old-world Textures

homes

Dalayan Beginner
I recently did a fresh install with EQ Titanium.
Right away i noticed that the textures were different.
They seem to be stuck on the old, OLD textures, before the revamp of the oldschool zones.

I still have my old install folder, which displays the newer textures fine.
Does anyone know of a command or setting to enable the updated textures?

I have screen shots to show the difference.

It's not an eqclient.ini setting, it's a different set of textures contained in the SoF expansion (which does work with SoD - it's what I use now).

Heh, I did not even know newer textures existed, I am also running on a Titanium install.

So, I am also very much interested in how to get the new textures!

so just paste the zone files over top of them, inless they did what i think they did. created a 2nd texture that can be toggled on or off via eq.ini file ;).

Well I've been running SoD with the updated textures since i started, about 2 years ago.
It's hard to go back, so i guess i will just hold on to this old install, or try pasting over the texture files as Krujo81 suggested.

(The higher-res texture files have the same name, they are just double the size)

thanks for the replies all.

I can't see the images right now, but weren't there also newer textures for old world (excluding velious and kunark) that came out with either velious or luclin? Did they also release newer ones after that?

hay homes lemme how how that copy past works plz, if it works i might try and find the updated textures online or something.

Our client version doesn't recognized the new texture zone format.

btw shouldnt this client be able to handle the higher res textures?

October 5, 2001 Press Release - Graphics Upgrades
------------------------------

THE WORLD OF *********� GOES HIGH RESOLUTION WITH *********: THE
SHADOWS OF LUCLIN� EXPANSION

-Old World Environments To Rival Luclin's Beauty With Improved
Graphics-

SAN DIEGO, CA - October 5, 2001- **** Online Entertainment Inc., (SOE)
announced today that *********�: The Shadows of Luclin� will launch
with an additional CD-ROM featuring a complete upgrade to all textures
throughout the original world of Norrath and all previous expansions.

"We are pleased to make this surprise announcement," said Brad McQuaid,
Chief Creative Officer & Vice President, **** Online Entertainment.
"********* players will be amazed at the clarity the texture upgrade
provides and we feel the gameplay experience will be richly enhanced."

When ********* originally shipped in 1999, the development team
utilized 32 x 32 low-resolution pixels because of graphics technology
at the time. With the advent of superior graphic cards, the upgraded
texture resolution featured in *********: The Shadows of Luclin will be
256 x 256 pixels and occasionally as large as 512 x 512 pixels. This
vast improvement in quality will make Norrath appear more vibrant and
detailed than ever before.

"We have gone through the entire game and applied the new higher
resolution textures by hand," said Scott McDaniel, ********* Art Lead,
**** Online Entertainment. "The sheer size of ********* has made this
upgrade quite a project. To see the old zones in high resolution is
really exciting for the entire team."

You're talking apples to oranges. Luclin graphics pretty much standard, it's the ones PAST Luclin that don't work well. Otherwise, there would be only old world chars.

As far as brand new textures, I just patched to Live. They're the same ones as almost 3 years ago on SoD.

Krujo81, your on the right page. that is the re-texture we are talking about.
released with luclin in 2001. when you installed it you had the option to upgrade the older zones if your hardware could handle it. so why would Titanium contain the textures from 1999?

No luck with just pasting over the files (700MB vs 180MB) it doesn't recognize them, it seems a lot of the file names are different. there must be a command line or file that directs to the new textures.

btw, the old install i'm running with the retexture came from EQ:platinum discs.

@halbar: it seems there were at least 2 releases of new textures. Luclin and Secrets of Faydwer?
and according to XPMaster the SoF update also works with SoD

problem is i dont have any of those discs anymore hell i had to download burn a copy (not that i suggest that for anyone else) of Titanium just to play, quick question what exe files do you have in the folder that does show the higher res textures?

I still have my Luclin disc set, I shall investigate this sometime this week/end. I remember it being a yes/no in the installer.

I still have my Luclin disc set, I shall investigate this sometime this week/end. I remember it being a yes/no in the installer.

also when you install do it twice once with out and once with and compare the folders, files and check the ini file, also if you have any tools that records registry entries

Last edited:
not gonna say where but i found ********* Updated Textures rar online gonna see if it includes any instructions if it will let me finish the download ;)

*edit* blah cant connect to the 2 seeds

Last edited:
Our client version doesn't recognized the new texture zone format.

I'm running them right now, off my SoF disk, I'll even post screenshots. Again - it's not an eqclient.ini setting, but rather a texture set off the CDs. You will not get the new textures from a Titanium install.

Any updates on this matter? I'd really like to see some higher quality textures overall, especially the ones highlighted by homes.

Tried replacing files, but it just reverts back to the old ones.

to bad someone cant host the high res textures =/ or put them up on a torrent file and link the torrent here

Back
Top Bottom