Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

packmule1 said:
it eats your ram and memory too

This in itself is why after playing on a friends account, I decided against joining him.

Oh, and it didn't help his case that for months prior to this, he had only mentioned the game in a negative way to me. I guess he couldn't let go and was lonely.

Funny that it would take a game like vanguard to really make me see that graphics don't make the game. They can try to disguise it, but in the end, a good MUD can beat Vanguard. I already knew this, but to play such a graphically advanced game with so much letdown pretty much screamed it at me.

Rylen, I get into the debate often.

They are not blind, they can see that they are eating a turd. But they very, very much want to believe that it will at some point, in the future, turn into Filet Mignon. They believe that they can see some good points that are promises of better. All they can actually see are their broken dreams, hopes being projected into their experience that do not exist anywhere but in their minds.

That is why they can have nothing but negative to say for months, and still keep playing.

Wasn't this game supposed to be the realization of "THE VISION"?

With such a hefty claim, (Albeit before a certain company began checking in on their investment) I couldn't stand to play past the trial. Especially when the market is bigger than ever before.

Rylen said:
Wasn't this game supposed to be the realization of "THE VISION"?

With such a hefty claim, (Albeit before a certain company began checking in on their investment) I couldn't stand to play past the trial. Especially when the market is bigger than ever before.
well, at the end of that interiew, they basically explained it. Brad is an amazing theoretical idea maker. Period. he's not great at other stuff

I'm still playing Vanguard some, but SoD will be taking up the most of my time for quite a while I'm sure. There are some parts of Vanguard that I really enjoy a lot:

The Crafting System is the most enjoyable I've ever seen. It doesn't require ridiculous amounts of capital to get started, you can actually make money through the leveling process, and the items can be a means to upgrades even as you level. They need to make some adjustments to the items to keep crafted items in line with dropped items, but those adjustments are being made.

I don't know about higher end content, but class balancing seems better off than a lot of other games I've played. Each class has a specific distinction and any class with that distinction can fill that role. For example, any Tank class (Warrior, Paladin, DreadKnight) can fill the role of Tank in a group as easily as any Healer (Cleric, Blood Mage, Disciple, Shaman) can fill that role.

The scenery and graphics are amazing. I'll admit that I have a high end gaming PC so I'm not fighting with specs for this game, and the complaints about the required specs are often valid. You do need a nice PC to enjoy the game.

Some of the things that I don't like about the game are:

Questing provides more XP than grouping and grinding. - To me this ruins the ability to just hang out with people in a dungeon and form relationships and networking. The focus is on the quests rather than the interactions between players. Too many times I've entered a new area, seen groups of people looking for more players, only to find out that they are three steps ahead of me in the quest and don't want to go back to catch me up...So either I group and get crap XP and no quest updates, or wait around and hope to get a group to do the part of the quest that I need. This is one of the only things that I really dislike about the game. It is, however, a very big thing to me. It makes both soloing and grouping less viable options than questing. I like the quests...many of them are pretty involved and are very fun, but they shouldn't be the primary focus or the only means of advancement.

I to had high hopes for this game and was greatly disappointed :(
I tried hard to play it but PC specs kinda kicked my arse, and the BETA feel it had 6 months after release just didn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom