Velious postponed - Daybreak recognizes p99 and promotes them

Nebi

Dalayan Pious Diety
This was posted on everquest.com and on their facebook page

It’s been a busy year for Project 1999 and we have some exciting news we’ve been really anxious to share with all of you. As some of you may be aware, in the past there has been both confusion and concern over the status of Project 1999. We have recently entered into a written agreement with Daybreak Game Company LLC that formally recognizes Project 1999 as a fan based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project. The agreement establishes the guidelines that we as a project must follow, but it will allow to us continue to update the game without risk of legal repercussions. As a show of good faith to support the efforts of Daybreak Games, we have decided to reschedule our expansion release as to not conflict with the upcoming new progression server being released in the coming weeks.

We would like to personally thank all the folks at Daybreak and acknowledge how awesome it is for a company to work with and embrace the creations of their fans. This is really something that’s unique in the gaming industry.

The Velious release has been rescheduled to the following dates:

Saturday, August 1st for the Project 1999 PvP Server.
Sunday, August 2nd for the Project 1999 PvE Server.

We would also like to sincerely apologize to those of you that have already established plans for a May release. We know many of you had scheduled time off from work and even planned parties or trips. I hope you can understand the importance and necessity of the decision we have made and we encourage those of you waiting in the meantime to enjoy the Daybreak Progression Server when it is released.

[initial worrisome response deleted, instead opportunism rules the day]

So, if Daybreak has decided to get "official" with fan servers it sure would be cool for whoever ends up being the first officially recognized custom server. If anyone knows anyone who could benefit from such a high profile recognition that would get some media attention, boost population, and maybe even come with some other perks they should talk to them about it. Best. Account. Drive. Eva. Summer. 2015.

Last edited:
I don't think the agreement between Daybreak and p99 affects much for SoD but it sure is exciting for p99. Also a ballsy move by Daybreak; if all p99 has to do is slap a disclaimer in their notes and place a Daybreak logo on a loading screen, Daybreak could shuttle their old school types to p99 and both camps win out.

I don't think the agreement between Daybreak and p99 affects much for SoD but it sure is exciting for p99. Also a ballsy move by Daybreak; if all p99 has to do is slap a disclaimer in their notes and place a Daybreak logo on a loading screen, Daybreak could shuttle their old school types to p99 and both camps win out.

only one camp would win and it would be daybreak. basically all the work p99 did would have been for free and for another company to profit from

only one camp would win and it would be daybreak. basically all the work p99 did would have been for free and for another company to profit from
it's already a free server tho right? if Daybreak's position is p99 is working for free and not getting paid, but clearly infringing on licensed material, why not let them allow p99 to continue working for free and not getting paid but profiting off that license infringement?

p99 wins in that Daybreak leaves them well enough alone. I get your point tho

The agreement establishes the guidelines that we as a project must follow, but it will allow to us continue to update the game without risk of legal repercussions

I know everyone is trying to sell this as the best thing that ever happened to the EMU community but that statement is so vague that it worries me. It sounds kind of like P99 had the choice between closing shop and falling in line. But hey maybe I'm just paranoid

The "agreement" is going to result in an DBG hosted official classic EQ server using p99's reverse engineered database and featuring instancing of most raid bosses. That's my totally made-up theory anyhow.

I play p99 fairly often, lv 60 iksar shaman named eisley. (no relation obv) feel free to hit me up if you need help or whatever. It's a decent game honestly, after years of ragging on it, I gotta admit it is beginning to grow on me. Also, Velious was totally awesome and it's coming out soon on p99. May be worth a look.

My shaman needs torpor, malo, a fungi, the proc 2 hander, help with his epic fights, and a trak bp. Oh yeah, and his VP key. Some gifts to get me playing again?

You know, now when you search for "everquest emulator" SoD does not show up in the first 5 pages on Google. I do not know if SoD ever did, but as of now those first several pages are news stories about the story mentioned in the OP.

"everquest custom server" brings up SoD on the second page. Between two news stories about OP.

"everquest private server" doesn't bring up SoD on the first five pages. Mostly news stories from OP.

"everquest fan project" doesn't bring up SoD on the first five pages. Mostly news stories from OP.

For 3750 fame I can tell you one idea that will get the server more attention than all of Account drive 2015. Spoilers: it is get in touch with Daybreak.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom