Wailing Wind Boots

Valv

Dalayan Elder
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Wailing_Wind_Boots

We were really excited to see some new adept boots drop until we realized basically no one could use them and every pair we get will just be rotting. Is there a chance you could remove some of or change the seemingly arbitrary race restrictions on these or make alternative pairs that drop for the other races?

This adept is already loaded with melee gear, having a draw for casters/healers besides humans would be nice, not to mention boots off adepts are fairly limited in choice, most people could use an upgrade at this point and now that we know about them all of our adept toons forward would be pretty dumb to not pick human/vah/elf to get them.

I feel like instead of forcing loot diversity based on race(which I think only works if you have a lot of loot to cover every slot for every race and adepts are not built like that) you are just forcing people to all be the same handful of races if they want to make adept toons. Every class can uses these already but now everyone that's not a vah bst / shm or a human monk / cleric feels like they messed up.

Given the strength of the item I'd say the somewhat arbitrary race restriction seems reasonable. Whether you want to re-roll your class for this item that's up to you. If an adept item is so strong that it's worth re-rolling for because it's better than anything you can get later, then I think the issue is with the item.

Like 8 years ago race bonuses were rebalanced to try and make every race a viable choice, with that in mind we just picked random races we thought would be fun, not really thinking race would be super relevant for an adept toon. It's just disappointing we gimped ourselves over stupid aesthetics and that is somehow considered good balance. I would have just sb perm illusioned myself as something else if I knew I had to play human to get adept gear...

Reroll? No, that would be crazy selfish to derail our entire crews progress for 1 item. But it is pretty lame that we feel forced to make elf/human/vah for all adept toons going forward. And unless you've added proc boots on your new adepts these are very much irreplaceable(probably till about t9 or so) so there is actually a decent argument for rerolling at this point for them.

I don't understand how race restrictions balance item power, these are fine for human monks but broken on Iksar? Human clerics are fine with it but gnomes would be OP? I say arbitrary because its not like its a Giant only item usable by the huge races or only the small ones, its small elves, large humans, and giant vah, not sure the connection there, is there a lore reason we missed for these races? And our next wave of alts will ALL be using them cause it would be stupid to roll anything that cannot use them, so if they are balanced around only a handful of people getting them we are going to mess that up by rolling all our toons to use them, this doesn't stop the whole grp from getting them it just makes us all pick the same 1-2 races, which is lame, seriously.

You could nerf them I guess to make them less desirable but until there are other proc boot options off adepts everyone is still going to want these simply because there isn't anything else. As I said before, this would be an awesome way to break up loot and diversify the "specialty" of race/class combos but without an entire gear list built with that idea in mind random one offs like this just cause problems and put holes in gear progression. If there was even 1 other comparable drop for the other 12 or so races then we wouldn't care but there is literally nothing else, it's not this item's strength that's the problem its this item vs the other choices/lack there of. Every single class can use these boots, some of us are just stuck in lvl 17 flitterwing adept boots cause we like being different races???

My point is class is a much better balance for who can use an item vs race, which is basically just people's taste for what they want their toon to look like. Lots of items are powerful but I don't see any t14 loots that are human only, and for good reason, if it is fine for a class of one race its fine for that class of any race...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with the sentiment that the race restriction seems quite strange. But considering it's not my original item, I don't feel it's broken/ridiculous enough to change.

Back
Top Bottom