Warrior Agro, Info Request

terr281

Dalayan Beginner
(This is not a tank class comparison thread, but it includes noticed information that is involved in that constant hated topic. For this reason, I am sorry for yet another comparison post that everyone hates.)

Problem: I, as well as another equivalently geared warrior (tmap VD/tier 1-2) in my guild, cannot seem to keep agro on "trash" mobs on guild raids ... or even during many group encounters. This is in contrast to when our guild uses an equivalently geared sk or paladin from the guild to be the raid (or group) tank. (The issue is not noticed during the killing of the actual raid target, presumably due to the higher hp of the mobs in question.)

Through forum searches, I have found the following about warrior melee agro generation:

1. Warriors are the only class that receives "bonus" agro vs. other classes for every actual hit that lands.
2. With the late first quarter 2009 changes to agro generation, weapon ratio is more important than weapon delay.
3. Duel wielding, due to number 1, is still the best option for warrior agro generation.
4. The Advanced Anatomy 2 AA adds 4 extra hate...supposedly... per SWING. (As opposed to per SUCCESSFUL HIT.) <Note, due to this wording, the assumption is being made that the warrior base agro bonus is applied on every successful SWING instead of successful HIT.)

In theory, therefore, the way to increase warrior agro generation would be:

1. Lower ratio weapons. (Increased number of swings, increased application of base hate modifier.)
2. Use the weapon with the best ratio.
3. Always duel wield.
4. Purchase Advanced Anatomy 2 AA asap to get the 4 extra hate per swing added to the base hate of X (haven't seen this posted anywhere).
-------------
Unless someone wants to use a different set of weapons for comparison, the below will be used for this equipment tier as the "best" defensive warrior usable weapons.

(D tmap weapons, despite having higher AC <Pitted Parrying Blade>, or higher "with elemental dmg added" dmgs/ratios <Ebb and Flow>, either have lower ratios <former> or can't be relied upon to apply their elemental dmg in a sufficient manner to beat the below base ratios. Further, I have yet to see a tier 1/2 mob drop a weapon that would upgrade the below.) <Lots of caster equipment in this tier range, very little for tanks.>

1. Rune-Scorched Axe (Primary): Ratio = .68, AC = 15
2. Ruby-Hilted Longsword (Secondary): Ratio = .62, AC = 15

Totals: 30 AC (No Blocking), Ratio = 1.3, Duel Wielding = 2X application of base hate modifier, (After spending 25 AAs...) Advanced Anatomy 2: 2X application of extra 4 hate (This also assumes that the warrior has spend 9 AAs to buy Ambidexterity, confirming no Duel Wield skill failures.)
----------
An easy combination for comparison for a Paladin is Soulfire (Ratio 1.0 & better delay by 1 or 2 of the warrior weapons above, 10 AC) and Shield of Freeport (52 AC, allows blocking.)

Totals: 62 AC (Blocking), Ratio 1.0, 1 or 2 better base delay than best warrior weapons above. (This lower delay, after X hits, will equal out the bonus to the warrior's base hate from a SINGLE weapon due to an increased number of weapon swings.)
----------
<Note: I know better exists for SKs, but can't find in available time>
An easy combination for comparison for a SK is Rotblade (Ratio .79/1.14 <if the Disease Dmg is counted>, AC 0) with Arena Lord's Protector (40 AC, allows blocking.)

Totals: 40 AC (Blocking), Ratio .79

<Note: SK info needs to be edited with a better typical weapon when time allows.>
-----------
When the 3 class's ability to keep agro is compared at this equipment level: (With all classes having the same amount of +Aggression)

1. The Warrior has a slightly better total ratio (assuming equivalent number of hits on the mobs from 2 weapons instead of 1), and he also has "one weapon" that will be giving him his agro bonus at all times when swung. He also suffers from an increased number of ripostes, however. Foelock gives a one time bonus at initial engagement.

<The ability to cast spells, vs. the time not swinging a weapon due to the casting of said spells, is known and assumed below.>

2. The Paladin is able to block blows due to the use of a shield (especially if Shielding Mastery 3 is taken), has a near equivalent weapon ratio (due to the Warrior having to break through a second set of the mob's AC/Dodge/Parry/etc), and is swinging their weapon faster (thus, over the course of an entire raid night, probably not suffering a penalty to their melee swing delay when compared to the Warrior's weapons.)

3. <SK information not included since a good weapon was not used in this analysis.>
--------------------------
Again, the point of this thread is not to restart the "tank debate," but simply request suggestions from fellow Warrior players (that actually played their characters through this equipment tier) to deal with the agro problem. (As, if we lose the mob's agro, we aren't doing our job.)

1. Are better weapons available at this equipment range that I have missed? (If not, why aren't there any "warrior usable due to +AC, stamina, hp, etc." weapons in the tier 1/2/early 3 range?)
2. Is taking Advanced Anatomy 2 ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, as it seems it may be? (If so, short of the very high-end tomes, how do warriors continue to increase their agro with increasing equipment tiers versus the rapidly increasing amount of DPS coming from the remainder of the raid?)
3. Confirmation requested please: The base agro from a melee swing is given to the character despite a hit or miss on the mob in question. (Thus, dismissing the ideas of taking Melee Mastery 3 for "always double attacking, increased base agro" & "the AA +to hit" AAs to generate more base agro from successful hits.)

<Opinion, again, not the point of this thread>

Because, from my experience thus far, Warriors are only needed for the "boss fight" due to their ability to take less dmg from hard/fast hitting mobs. (Versus the "trash" mobs that must be killed prior to this point in the raid.)

Get your aggression capped if it isn't already (Check out Nemesis Mask if you are seriously hard up for it).

Get an aggro offhand (Tendril of Protrusion from the giant earthworm in the deep should be 2 groupable at your tier but you will want a good puller. It's also very common.) Start working on Ytrazliarch. If you are patient and polite someone will almost certainly let you loot a Frost King's Head if you/your guild can't kill him.

There is a very nice droppable foot item from the deep with an aggro proc. Buy it.

Get Advanced Anatomy (duh).

Have your Shadowknight cast Voice of Kaezul on you.

I can't comment on how much the offensive melee AA will help you. When people ask "What AA should I get next?" the only truthful answer is "all of them."

If you really truly want suggestions and not to spark a debate just omit the stupid sk/paladin analysis from your post. In fact, omit the warrior analysis as well and just link to fomelo.

Finally, if you are really wondering who is the better tank in your guild just keep Gamparse running on a raid and see who takes less dps.

(D tmap weapons, despite having higher AC <Pitted Parrying Blade>, or higher "with elemental dmg added" dmgs/ratios <Ebb and Flow>, either have lower ratios <former> or can't be relied upon to apply their elemental dmg in a sufficient manner to beat the below base ratios.

Ebb and Flow, Pitted Parrying Blade, and Rune-Scorched Axe aren't good aggro weapons.

If you want to keep aggro as an early 65 warrior get a ruby hilted longsword and a hammer of ancient visions and be done with it til you can get Ytraz/Ragebearer/Tendril of protrusion/wailfury.

Without knowing your current haste, get more haste also.

Thank you for the initial information.

As for running a parser, the question of "who takes less dps" isn't the question. The question is how to increase warrior agro generation where the warrior will not lose agro from the mob in a typical situation. (And, not be able to get it back without switching from /s12 to a style that burns stamina. Aggressive doesn't cut it.) Further, you can't parse agro.

Already have max +Aggression, that's why I factored that into the original post.

And, as for the "stupid sk/paladin analysis"...it had to be included for one reason alone. It is common knowledge on these forums that if either of these classes wants to keep agro on a single target, they can do it in one way or another via the use of spells. Further, since KEI/JB will be passed out to the raid, this mana can easily be kept balanced. (And, you can meditate when the envitable "restroom/phone/etc." AFK occurs.) Warriors don't have that option.

As for Ytrazliarch, you have to be Dragon faction for that item. My guild is Giant faction. Is there an equivalent? (I had already looked at this before.)
-----------------------
All of the tanks are in the 20-32% haste range. This is a known issue, and should be fixed when we continue to progress into tier 3 (NDHK).

Last edited:
There's no equivalent, but its the best weapon you'll be able to get for a while and its time to trash your faction to get it before you end up with too much factionbound stuff.

1. Warriors are the only class that receives "bonus" agro vs. other classes for every actual hit that lands.
2. With the late first quarter 2009 changes to agro generation, weapon ratio is more important than weapon delay.

Correct, and correct.

3. Duel wielding, due to number 1, is still the best option for warrior agro generation.
It is one of a number of factors. Since ratio also plays a factor, if you have an awesome 2h and really crappy 1handers, 2h can certainly generate more aggro than dual wielding. If you only consider weapons from the same tier, yes, you will always generate more aggro dual wielding.

4. The Advanced Anatomy 2 AA adds 4 extra hate...supposedly... per SWING. (As opposed to per SUCCESSFUL HIT.) <Note, due to this wording, the assumption is being made that the warrior base agro bonus is applied on every successful SWING instead of successful HIT.)

Advanced Anatomy adds hate BEFORE being scaled to ratio, so it does not make faster weapons generate more aggro. Again, speed is no longer a factor in aggro, it's all about the ratio. I can't confirm if it's only on successful hits or per swing; I don't remember.

If someone could confirm the successful hits vs. successful swings question, would be very helpful.

Thank you Guiardo for the before vs. after of the AA.

procs procs procs. You can only get so far with non-procing weapons. Once you start getting some pure hate procing weapons you will realize how huge it is. (ragebearer, wailfury, patriarch, frostwrath, etc)

In Live, warrior agro was all about procs. However, I was under the (false) impression that this issue had been corrected in SoD.

At the low end especially (tier 3 minus), the procs generate a lot more aggro than the dumpy weapons that are available. Weapons that don't proc can hold aggro, but you'd be hard pressed to find weapons like that at the low tiers, and trading a few points of ratio (or losing a few points in the case of ebb and flow) isn't gonna cut it vs the blind proc on hammer of ancient visions and the debuff proc on ruby hilted longsword.

Procs generate a huge amount of aggro at all tiers. Stack them. Make sure you always have blades and werefrog on. Furthermore, do the Ytrazliarch quest; that weapon is so clutch for a low-mid tier warrior. I didn't replace mine until Gishna.

At the low end especially (tier 3 minus), the procs generate a lot more aggro than the dumpy weapons that are available. Weapons that don't proc can hold aggro, but you'd be hard pressed to find weapons like that at the low tiers, and trading a few points of ratio (or losing a few points in the case of ebb and flow) isn't gonna cut it vs the blind proc on hammer of ancient visions and the debuff proc on ruby hilted longsword.

Granted my Rune-Scorched Axe was pristine, but I used it over the hammer and eventually the sword after I finished Ytrazliarch... well before the aggro changes.

Last edited:
Also, do the Ruby Hilted Longsword quest to receive it pristine. It takes less than 4 hours to complete, especially if you buy royal jelly and treant leaves, which should cost less than 800pp.

Hammer of the Giants (pristine 35/45), Protector's Blade of Shielding and Hammer of Ancient Visions are currently the game's best tier 1 warrior weapons. Grab two of these weapons and you should be fine.

As for Ytrazliarch: you would have to kill giants, there is no equivalent weapon quest if you don't want to do this. I definitely would not go out of my way to complete this quest if you guild doesn't want to ruin their giant faction. Budrick and Fuwok are making a bigger deal out of this one piece than it really is.

Oh yeah, if your guild isn't moving up the tiers too quickly you might want to do the quest for the Spear of the Great Hunt. It's an off-hand weapon with a very strong aggro proc that will last you until you can get a Wailfury. You need to track the spawn timers on a number of mobs on 3 day timers, but you should be able to down them with one or two groups with tier 1 gear.

We're not really making a bigger deal out of it. But at some point around tier 7 you'll replace the weapon. Until then, its the best primary you'll get.

my guild is giant faction and I did the quest for zebulun and never looked back. Best decision I made and if it weren't for fuwok telling me how awesome it was i would have never done it. I was RTA to giants after killing rymaz (I did it with another guild, 1 grouped). It's really not hard to get ally even from RTA after a few ndhk runs and spending like 10 hours at orc fort.

Just make sure you trash your faction BEFORE getting the faction aug because it is unrecoverable and you can't do the quest for the other side once you've done one of them.

As for Ytrazliarch: you would have to kill giants, there is no equivalent weapon quest if you don't want to do this. I definitely would not go out of my way to complete this quest if you guild doesn't want to ruin their giant faction. Budrick and Fuwok are making a bigger deal out of this one piece than it really is.

Not really. I did the Ytrazliarch quest and then allied to giants after I finished; aside from getting a fair bit of exp grinding EDHK, I also got a fair bit of money in the process. Most people will argue that the dragon aug is better for all classes because it has 5% stun resist, anyway. Whether or not this will remain true when Ikisith is released is unknown, but I hope it doesn't.

Ytrazliarch is, far and away, the best investment you'll make as a low tier warrior.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to say Ytrazliarch isn't a good piece of gear, but really it's only slightly better than the pieces you would otherwise use as a warrior. If you aren't already wearing good faction bound dragon stuff, then sure do the quest.

If you don't want to to Ytrazliarch you should be able to get a Warped Mace of Brutality off of the ToA event minis. It's really not that big a deal, you guild's progression will not really be slowed down if you are using a non-Ytrazliarch main hand on your MT.

Back
Top Bottom