We All Love Monks, Here

The same thing I posted 2 pages back at the beginning of the week :p
i didn't see anything about monks pulling aggro off of mobs they hadn't even engaged i just figured you were comparing aggro to like how bad it was already with kick combos on single target sort of deal. kind of surprised at the degree aggro was busted since i essentially proc AE taunts out my asshole. Glad it's being addressed though and hope we can get some insight about dex/str cap.

Really love these new changes.. Everyone loves DPS after all :p
I for one always felt, that the avoidance and "semi tank" was ment for being and AUX tank, so for me that part goes nicely how I always thought the Monk should be played.
So thumps up!

How ever....
I get the idea that the empowered attacks, only work in certain stances. But I dont really feel that it "works" well.
For example, lifetap, its very likely that the Monk wants to be agressive and doing Lifetaps, just doing DPS while taking w/e damage.
Likewise its very likely that the Monk wants to be defensive, and doing Lifetaps, tanking for example, or soloing...
Same goes for many of the other ones, WW, nice for tanking; nice for DPSing....

So I suggest just make them work, what ever stance the Monk may be in.

An other thing that I think should be looked in to, is the Tears of Elael reward, Staff of Shifting Shadows.
With the new ratio on barehands, if you want to dps, barehands are really the way to go, making this staff very situational useful, if at all.
Also with Monk's suddently being very much in need of gloves with +damage and proc on, it would be nice that they could quest for a pair.

(A wacky idea could be 1 of each elemental type, and leave the proc at 2,4%, giving them a little less proc rate than the SoSS (if delay on hands are still 18), giving them a sort of "un resistable" option)

Last edited:
Couple of things I've noticed after starting to play around with the changes again:

1. I find myself wishing that /s 4 would work out of combat for pulling... Sometimes I want to s4 then face pull. The way 'in combat' works sort of makes it necessary sometimes to use it right before you pull. I really feel like this should be changed.

2. The heal from the 'lifetap' does not show up as a message in chat/logs. All I see is the damage portion of the 'spell'. Can the heal be added as a log message?

3. Do other dudes feel the reuse time for /s 4 is a bit long?

4. It is kind of sad that the 'lifetap' is not effected by lifetap tomes. Just saying :(

5. It is also kind of sad that you can't also WW in defensive and life tap in aggressive. Just saying :(

Also, there is a ton of information in this thread and in the patch notes, but you have to look in a few different places and search to find it. This is what I see as the critical things happening now, and please correct me if I am wrong:

In AGGRESSIVE Stance:
KICK - stun/interrupt.
ROUND KICK - AE kick + agro.
FLYING KICK - large damage bonus.

In DEFENSIVE Stance:
TIGER CLAW - a hate proc.
EAGLE STRIKE - life tap.
DRAGON PUNCH - small knock back and root effect.

*H2H Mod increases accuracy
*Bonus damage and empowered damage scales slightly with str/dex for special attacks (this includes hidden cap tomes/aas)
*/s 4 and /s 5 duration is slightly increased based on stamina stat numbers
*/s 4 can only be used when flagged as in combat and the reuse time is 10 minutes
*Force of body tome increases empowered damage and gives a 1.25% flurry chance while barehanded.
*Elemental damage on gloves improves barehanded ratio.
*No empowered attacks can crit.
*After fighting the same mob for 30 seconds without switching targets the monk gets a 10% damage bonus.
*Empowered special attacks are only used when over 40% stamina.

Last edited:
1. I find myself wishing that /s 4 would work out of combat for pulling... Sometimes I want to s4 then face pull. The way 'in combat' works sort of makes it necessary sometimes to use it right before you pull. I really feel like this should be changed.
3. Do other dudes feel the reuse time for /s 4 is a bit long?

4. It is kind of sad that the 'lifetap' is not effected by lifetap tomes. Just saying :(

5. It is also kind of sad that you can't also WW in defensive and life tap in aggressive. Just saying

*No empowered attacks can crit.

1. Invul stance: it's not so bad, can always range tag something then go invul, but there are situations where that's not feasible and that's sad. I feel the timer should be reduced in exchange for usability

2. Lifetap: not only is it not affected by tomes, it also is not affected by damange increment (I would guess dmg bonus etc does not affect it either). I assume this is an oversight as the empowered kick is affected by damage increment.

3. Special attacks not being able to crit is also unfortunate.

Yeah, I haven't messed with invul in its new form until tonight, but the in-combat requirement is pretty ridiculous. Was there any reason for this?

Yeah, I haven't messed with invul in its new form until tonight, but the in-combat requirement is pretty ridiculous. Was there any reason for this?
People changing things without having much, if any, first hand experience with said things. At least if there is enough of a player outcry there's a small chance it could be changed.

At least if there is enough of a player outcry there's a small chance it could be changed.

There is an issue with the invuln stance being only usable in combat.

Monks primary use of the ability both before and after the change was for pulling. Before the change, it was possible to time it so you could go invuln immediately prior to the first hit and being able to survive fine. At this point though, I find myself frequently dying as I'm frantically pushing my invuln button while raid trash proceeds to one round me in a matter of milliseconds. For several splits now, it is advantageous to simply use an SK or even a necro to split as they can activate DA prior to being in combat.

I made a monk over an SK because I cared more about being the best pulling class in the game rather than the ability to tank pretty much anything. Having such an important ability taken away from us just doesn't seem quite right.

I made a monk over an SK because I cared more about being the best pulling class in the game rather than the ability to tank pretty much anything. Having such an important ability taken away from us just doesn't seem quite right.

GMs have already been vocal about how FD pulling is something they do not want and they think is dumb. They are actively making content (especially higher end) that does not require it. You are meh DPS whose two other functions, pulling and off-tanking, are either out of the vision of this server (but generally still applicable, especially in low level content) or something monks have always had in every iteration of this game that they were allowed to keep if they give up half of their already meh DPS... respectively.

Luckily, now that there is no reason to pick a monk over any other FD class (SKs also tank and Necros actually do damage) you will have plenty of time to level a new character that will be useful to a group/raid. I suggest ranger, you do better DPS than a monk at both range and melee, can still tank better than a monk, have track and pull almost as well in outdoor zones thanks to harmony! Not to mention, not unlike casters, you can stand out of AoE range to get your amazing DPS even though you have the HP to just take it like a man.

I really don't see any of this as a problem with monks or the classes role but really a problem with you. Maybe you shouldn't have picked a crybaby class that wants everything for nothing, you cake-eating piece of shit.

/sarcasm off

PS: Slaar already said he was done and is not looking at monks again. Chances are, you are stuck with what you got.

IDK if Devs as a whole decided FD was a silly mechanic. Marza content is made to not require FDing, but huge parts of the 6man and raid game require FD pulling.

Monks gained a lot of dps with these changes though, and when they can stay on the same mob are really good. The combat requirement for invuln doesn't seem right to me (I even remember some pulls that almost require invuln before engage), but I don't think people can argue monks being bad/weak anymore.

People bitched and moaned endlessly, but these changes turned out really well in the end IMO. Lets see some love for Beastlords next! =o

The changes ended up making monks worse off then monks before the combo system. But at least they are no longer horribly gimped when attempting to dps. Monks may parse a bit higher than back before combo but that is with boon up which if there is a ranger there it's a waste on the monk. Invuln nerf is the big thing that seems unnecessary but invuln is nowhere near as needed as people are trying to sell, and if you really think it is then get a cleric da before engage.

My honest opinion of the last few years, in regards to monks, is if it ain't broke then don't fix it. My monk throughout sod was competitive dps and a decent off tank throughout almost all of my progression. I earned my raid spot to say the very least and never felt I was a hindrance to progress. And then out of the blue some monk items were grossly over nerfed while the class was also made into a glass cannon for mediocre dps. It took some time to get monks changed again but I'm glad they finally were changed and the only bad that came out of it was slightly worse invuln mechanic.

edit: i just wanted to add im glad when i do play my monk i no longer am REQUIRED to flying kick to even do dps in the first place so thanks for returning that freedom.

Last edited:
Ok so am I the only one that still sees monk aggro pretty broken? (Not as broken as it was for a brief time but still) On a ~T9 monk with overall -2% aggression I'm ganking aggro constantly over a T10 tank. In /s 2 while using flying kick I literally have to FD every 15 seconds or so or I will steal aggro. Is this intended?

Wow you have to manage your aggro and can't go all out berserk mode on DPS? Outrageous!

Back
Top Bottom